Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tiger Stadium Items Sale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2836
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://schneiderind.com/tigers tadiumsale/

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$150 Urinal "Troughs" - what a bargain! Water-damaged signs... "Two Fo Fiddy!" Cool stuff.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they're at ~$525 now.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the city was using DPS math again. I remember reading that they believed the auction would net $3 million and pay for razing of the stadium. Today's paper states that $192,000 was raised from the auction and $1.7 million from the seats. The seats will net the city $300,000 after removal and shipping according to the DFP writer. (I'd like to have the seat removal and shipping contract as it seems to be about $1.4mil(1.7mil-1.4mil=300,000) .

$192k + $300 = under $500k. Not even close to the $2-3mil. needed to tear the stadium down.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 326
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can that be right? The City of Detroit only net $300,000 on 6,000 seats that sold for $279 each?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another fucked up financial decision

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, is it a fucked up financial decision if everything was going to be trashed anyway?

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind that the city may only be getting 300,000, but its saving a lot in the cost of the removal of the seats and memorabilia, which would have to have been removed anyways prior to demo.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 950
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if jackasses hadn't gone around destroying seats... If they're selling them in pairs, a single seat sandwiched between two damaged ones couldn't be sold. I'm shocked at how little the city got, but had it not waited so long, the stuff might have fetched more. A lot of the stuff it was selling was stupid and/or overpriced. $30,000 for that lame sign? AND you have to pay a 28% commission AND pay to have it taken down and moved? It's not even historic. Had it sold the signage that said TIGER STADIUM on the roof or the side of Trumbull, maybe I'd understand.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 951
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, if you want to see some really sad stuff - like a guy taking a chain saw to the seats - there's a video from the auctioneer on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =M-VRL8LlrFQ

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city shot itself in the foot as far back as 1999 by not having a firm, concrete plan in place to dismantle the stadium.

The money paid to Ilitch to maintain the stadium from 2000-2006 was earmarked for demolition or the future use of the stadium. All of that money was used for upkeep (or lack thereof, but you be the judge).

In the eight years since the stadium closed, everything has depreciated. The seats, especially those not under the protection of the roof, were bound to become more worn and damaged. The auctioneer himself told me, on a message board, that the orange seats could not be sold because they were in disrepair. A large number of Tiger Den seats could not be sold. The city didn't even bother to see what the condition of the seats were before making that estimate.

It comes as no surprise to this forumer that the stadium auction brought in far less than the city estimated. They have no one to blame but themselves for this debacle.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Those who purchased items in the auction could begin retrieving them Tuesday. But many collector items remain for sale, including seat backs, signs, newspapers and bricks. Those who want to buy leftover items can stop by the stadium near Gate 8 and make an offer.

Items bought through the auction can be picked up through Halloween. The other items will be sold until they run out, said Dan Rosenthal, chief operations manager for St. Louis-based Schneider Industries, which is handling the sales and conducted the auction. ..."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077102403 85

Anybody know what hours you can stop by Gate 8? and what type of payment they're taking?

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are selling bricks for $5 each and seat backs for $20. I know many of you wish you had a brick from the Stroh's plant, so here is your chance to get a Tiger Stadium brick.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when can you buy a brick and where?

Josh
Username: Josh

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at the stadium, but I thought the guy told me $50

they had bricks that were replacement for the outside bricks and then also those shinny brick/tiles that were in the concourse

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the stadium this morning and there were large carriage bolts scattered around Michigan Ave., from deconstruction? It was a real hazard!

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to tiger stadium yesterday. the bricks for sale @ $50.00 are actually ceramic tiles measuring 17.5 inches by 7.5 inches and mounted on a 4 inch cinder block.

NOTE: they were never used on the stadium. the are the ones kept in storage for future use as replacements.

i bought one anyway.

the bonus was that they let a couple of us onto the field to take quickly photographs and scoop up some dirt from the infield and warm track.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooops... that should have been warning track

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My seats came yesterday and they are in pretty good shape, aside from being covered with a layer of dust. I even got Seat 1 & 2.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goirish1966--Can you post the pics?

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had two sizes of bricks. My brother was picking up the item I bought so he could ship it to me in Arizona. He called from the stadium and said they had a bunch of signs, seat backs and bricks for sale for a lot less than the auction prices. They definitely had $5 bricks because one is on the way to Arizona right now.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tigersfan9

i am not a tech person, but will have my my son do in in the next couple days.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 981
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went to tiger stadium yesterday. the bricks for sale @ $50.00 are actually ceramic tiles measuring 17.5 inches by 7.5 inches and mounted on a 4 inch cinder block.

NOTE: they were never used on the stadium. the are the ones kept in storage for future use as replacements.

i bought one anyway.

the bonus was that they let a couple of us onto the field to take quickly photographs and scoop up some dirt from the infield and warm track.

THAT is a bonus. Hell, I'd pay $50 just to be able to walk out onto that field while the stadium is still there. Any idea on when you can go to get one of the bricks? I'd rather have a brick that was actually used IN the stadium instead of one that just sat inside it in a pile, though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.