Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ham Heaven? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody back there in Detroit know if Ham Heaven is still on Congress near St. Andrews Hall? Maybe somebody can tell me who owns it. THANKS

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, hasn't been there for some time.

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Stinger4me, it's now a parking lot just like a few other locations around the city.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The demolition of the Hudson's building did in Ham Heaven. They didn't cover up any of the vents in the building and when that huge dust cloud came it swallowed up Ham Heaven and the place never re-opened.

I watched the demolition from the top of Comerica Building parking structure and Ham Heaven was right at our feet. My car was ruined as well; I never considered that I had to change the air filter after it was hit by the dust cloud. There was a fine dusty powder over everything inside that car, and once I got home I vaccuumed the thing out, but never even thought about the air filter...the engine overheated and warped the block.

Anyway, I imagine the same thing happened to HH. Since I was looking down onto HH I noticed they didn't cover their roof vents, in contrast to The Checker and a few other places, and that huge 9 story tall cloud rushed across Monroe, Cadillac Square, and BOOM. HH never opened again.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody out there know the lady or couple who operated it?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate there once. I had a really good ham sammich.

PS: That is sad, but hilarious, about the Hudson dust ruining the place and your car. What an unforseen bummer.

Russell
Username: Russell

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham Heaven was once owned by my Greek friend's parents. They retired and sold it to a cousin. They are in their late 80's I believe and live in one of the Grosse Pointes.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham Heaven was a somewhat popular place with Greyhound employees when the terminal was on Congress.

Scuzzleb
Username: Scuzzleb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss their grilled cinnamon rolls. Mmmmmmm.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who'd be responsible for the damages in that case or something similar? Not so much to the car, because I think they tried to warn people off from being in proximity, but what about businesses that were affected? Had they been told measures to take to avoid damage to their facilities, such as sealing off their ventilation systems? Did the Ham Heaven people just ignore them? Or were surrounding businesses to the demolition on their own as far as figuring out what needed to be done?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could have sworn that Ham Heaven was shut years before the Hudson implosion... Maybe I'm getting old.

Gnome

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving a really nice old lady car, a Chrysler - K for Krappy thing - that was chromed up like halloween whorehouse. So, I watched the implosion, snapped off a couple of rolls of film as that cloud grew like a tidal wave. I never imagined it would get to me and neither did the people around me. We all just froze, then someone turned, we all joined in a panic sprinting to the glass enclosure in front of the elevator bank. Some Security guards where there to keep the spectators out, but much to their credit, they saw the error of following those orders, and let us inside.

The cloud enveloped the parking structure in an eerie cement colored blob and for several minutes we stayed inside that glass womb, everyone breathing through their t-shirts and hankies.

Of course, all the cars were covered with dust, as was the entire CBD, I used a snow scraper/brush to clear the windows and crept out through those dust covered streets.

I got home and hosed off the car, vacumed the interior and drove arond for about a week when all of sudden the old whorehouse ride just died. The mechanic called me later and screamed at me for packing the radiator, air filter and engine compartment with dirt. Once I got there he showed me the damage. It was pretty impressive, that Hudson dust had packed the engine compartment, fused itself to every bit of grease and the raditor was more impacted than Supergay on a Sunday morning; so, next time you're going to see a building implode, park a year away and walk in.

I've always wondered how many other folks suffered the same fate as I.

If Ham Heaven had half the dust I had in that egine compartment, I could easily understand that cleaning up the inside would have been impossible.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 615
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just consider it a blessing that you had a K car last until 1998/99? I remember running from the same dust cloud, it made it all the way down Woodward until the wind at Jefferson carried it away.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on October 12, 2007)

Stinger4me

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a woman named Gina (or Georgina) owned it. She would be in her 50's not 60 and she is Greek.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the same recollection that Detroit Planner has about Ham Heaven. I think it was gone before the demo.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before owning Ham Heaven I think Gina owned a cleaners at Custer & Woodward in the new center area.

Gnome

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

below is a link to a restaurant review in the detroit free press from 1997

http://ae.freep.com/entertainm ent/ui/michigan/restaurantResu lts.html;jsessionid=30217B1AAF42DC1C4D 0D80EC26E88698.prodapp14_ae_01 ?restaurants.sort_by_name=h&re staurants.sort_by_name.SEARCH_ TYPE=BEGINS&newSearch=frogstar &

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.