Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New York Times Battle Over Michigan to Canada Bridge Article « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10 /11/us/12cnd-bridge.html?_r=1& hp&oref=slogin

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's being built in the foreground of that picture?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats the Ambassador Bridge Gateway project.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I haven't yet formed an opinion on this topic one way or another, I do like this quote from the article:

quote:

“Who needs another?” said Victor Abla, whose window in the Southwest Detroit neighborhood of Hubbard Farms looks out on the Ambassador Bridge. “With trucks backed up on the bridge that’s already here, the pollution is horrible in my neighborhood, and the asthma rates are sky high.”

So this guy points out that all these trucks idling are causing some massive pollution and increasing rates of asthma in the neighborhood. But he is opposed to a new bridge that would alleviate some of the congestion and hopefully put an end to some of that air pollution he complains about? (I'm scratching my head at that one)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revamp the border and it should be run by a port authority not one person or company.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing is most New Yorkers couldn't find the Detroit River on a map if you spotted them Detroit and Windsor.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So this guy points out that all these trucks idling are causing some massive pollution and increasing rates of asthma in the neighborhood. But he is opposed to a new bridge that would alleviate some of the congestion and hopefully put an end to some of that air pollution he complains about? (I'm scratching my head at that one)

It's no different than the often observed phenomenon wherein widening a road does not necessarily alleviate traffic jams.

The trucking industry finds the current bridge delays tolerable. If the bridge capacity doubles, truck traffic might similarly double, to the same point of congestion--still tolerable to truckers, but even worse for neighborhood health.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because new york is the center of the universe.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4271
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But he is opposed to a new bridge that would alleviate some of the congestion and hopefully put an end to some of that air pollution he complains about? (I'm scratching my head at that one)"

Because there is not enough infrastructure in place to handle the traffic on either side, especially on the Windsor side.
Because concentrating all the traffic in one spot puts an unfair burden on two neighborhoods (The one on the Detroit side and the one on the Windsor Side).
The neighborhood on the Detroit side has experienced significant residential and business growth in the last decade, despite the loss of numerous blocks of homes to the empire of Maroun the Vampire.

Because the Bridge Company has a long record of lies and deception.
(Just to give one example, the restoration of the Maroun-owned Michigan Central Station, promised to residents of the neighborhood in 1995, has not taken place).
Because the concentration of one of the most heavily used border crossings in the US in one place represents a serious health and security issue.
Because allowing one man to control an entire border crossing is a MONOPOLY.

There are plenty of places that a second bridge can be built further south of the Ambassador Bridge, where there is less residential development. Why is it necessary for trucks to have to drive almost to Downtown Detroit to cross into Canada?

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never underestimate Manuel Maroun.

If you haven't read the famous Forbes article, "The Troll Under the Bridge", pony up the two bucks and open yer eyes.

https://www.mywire.com/Auth.do ?extId=10022&uri=/archive/forb es/2004/1115/134.html

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Save two bucks... :-)

http://www.forbes.com/business /free_forbes/2004/1115/134.htm l

I hope it's the same story

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading this a while back... talk about a pimp and capitalist.

It baffles me how this is not run by a "Detroit Windsor Port Authority" of some kind.

I will say this.. it's our own governments fault on both sides of the water. I would love for the government to step in and cease his bridge, but he would have to be broken off so tough.... worth half a billion dollars? Sheeeeeit.

Was the effort to dump MCS off on Detroit a ploy to keep us off his back?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4274
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll answer that with a question. Is Maroun the Vampire a major contributor to the war chests of both Kwame and Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the article he was...

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 471
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Barnesfoto. Well-said.

Also, one choice tidbit in The Times' piece shows that Matty doesn't think "New York is the center of the universe," as Lefty2 aptly puts it:
quote:

[Moroun] might consider an interview "in a month or so," Mr. Stamper said.

Times, schmimes ... who needs these pushy New Yorkers?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was referring to this statement - not Matty
"Funny thing is most New Yorkers couldn't find the Detroit River on a map if you spotted them Detroit and Windsor."

New Yorkers/press thinks they are the center of the world.

(Message edited by lefty2 on October 12, 2007)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9855
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another crossing isn't needed. A revamp of what customs officials can do would speed things up a lot. Currently they have cart blanche to do what they like. If they had guidelines, they would be able to pull someone over quickly instead of the 20 questions game; Which eventually just lets the person go without a second inspection.

I will say again, capacity isn't the issue.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2836
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

capacity is the issue, capacity is limited by a relatively tiny bridge, tiny staging area, etc. It will only get worse with increased security requirements. to totally different systems are needed, as far as i'm concerned -- a car bridge and a commercial traffic bridge

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This quote was noteworthy, for anyone under the delusion that an ownership monopoly will be good for SE Michigan business:
quote:

Leaders in the auto industry here, which depends on the bridge for carrying parts between assembly plants on both sides, have supported studying a government bridge.

Frederick W. Hoffman, the director of state relations for Chrysler, said, “Our particular concern is that there be multiple owners, and thus more competition in the costs.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9861
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RB, capacity has been going down NOT up. In fact, capacity at the tunnel is near an all-time low. The wait times increase is due to CUSTOMS not the inability for traffic to flow over the bridge or through the tunnel.
Many times there ar enot enough customs booths open or the screening takes longer. Why not increase the number of booths or increase the speed of questioning (or better yet pull them over if suspicious).
Having another bridge will alleviate the speed somewhat but why spend on all that TAXPAYER money on a third crossing only to have that backed up due to customs again? If a third crossing is necessary then let the private sector build it.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was referring to this statement - not Matty

Knew that, Lefty2, and was just trying a bank shot off yours to poke at MM's arrogance. Regret missing the pocket.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 251
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get the end of the article it said no one is leaving out the possibility of both bridges being built.

so there would be 3 bridges??

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.