Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Michigan's new service tax. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SBAM sent out an alert today, Lansing has dealt another blow to Michigan and Detroit area businesses.

http://www.fightservicetax.com /

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone has to pay. If it's not a tax on services, it's going to be something else. Or are state legislators ready to say no more funding for public schools, closing prisons, and closing secretary of state offices, all of which were proposed as cuts that would take place without the funds from the services tax?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4303
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is the services tax three times as much than that lying Granholm wanted earlier?

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Practically, because it is on fewer services. Broader base of taxpayers = lower tax rate (generally).

The other legal reason is because they jacked it onto the sales tax act, which is imposed at 6%.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conditions change LY. Someone has to pay off all the republican debt that Engler incurred.

Umcs

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have one question though.

Considering personal dating services are included in the tax, do you think we'll stop seeing those darn advertisements for EHarmony and Match now that their businesses will pull out of Michigan? I could only hope.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3698
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Already Andy Dillon wants to go to 7% on the sales tax and the number of services currently taxed will be expanded. And yes, Granholm did lie.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4304
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an even better idea. Let's tax SF and his ilk at a 200% income tax rate, and make it retroactive to their DOBs?

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I got an even better idea. Let's tax SF and his ilk at a 200% income tax rate, and make it retroactive to their DOBs?"

Mr Stalin, is that you?

Umcs

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY,

Do you own a business as an aside?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4305
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do services, in addition to other things. I can feel how one who is currently unaffected being taxed in short order. That's how the government works. By slowing turning up the temperature.

It starts by getting a toe hold, and given enough time, it could be swallowing your feet, ankles, knees, hips, etc. Burp!

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is the services tax three times as much than that lying Granholm wanted earlier?

Because the "we can cut our way to prosperity" crowd freaked out at a broad 2% tax, so you got stuck with a confusing 6% tax on some stuff, but nothing on other services. Also because the Governor doesn't write legislation, she can only sign or veto what the Legislature sends to her.

Try looking in a mirror for your answer.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4307
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard the GOP's ad at 5:07 on WJR for the first time. It's a lot funnier than Granholm's.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3699
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it is funny. "We hate to say we told you so, but we told you so." The Dem's ad blames "Bush's trade policies," I guess they forgot that NAFTA and GATT were signed by Bill Clinton.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on October 11, 2007)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 870
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The service tax is confusing because, and I wish I could remember who said this first, it is a tax on services that are not represented by lobbyists.

The amount of this and that tax is very simple really. We have to decide as a state what services we want and how much we are willing to pay, then the amount of tax we bring in (in whatever forms) has to equal what we plan to spend. Nobody wants to talk about that, though, so what we do instead is exactly what we did last year and the year before that, only maybe a little less of it, and try to tweak the tax code to make it almost kinda match.

Our legislature, basically, isn't willing to earn their keep. I lump the Governor in with that as well. We need real, structural changes in what we do as a State and how we do it, but all we get are wimpy little pushing around the edges.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4309
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Granholm's ad was comedy because there was so much lying. I don't watch TV. Was her nose growing on the TV version?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dirty little Demoncrat secret... $1 billion of the 1.75 billion is new spending.

Thanks Jenny Grandwhore!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4315
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dirty little Demoncrat secret... $1 billion of the 1.75 billion is new spending.

Yup! Twenty-one brand new programs, which will be partially unfunded within a year. So, as a result, the annual taxing and spending will be even higher the next legislative session with about 120,000 fewer workers paying taxes by then statewide than this year.

And it'll spiral downward year after year. Pilots call that a graveyard spiral.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets increase the tax on politicians salary by 20%, that should help the budget a little, huh

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how Granholm talks about "Cool cities" and then slaps a selective tax on graphic designers and creative artists, illustrators, etc (NAICS 5414). REALLY NICE DOUBLE TALK.

As to what Professorscott said, he's exactly right.

Was talking to a business associate and they were espousing how much money they spent on lobbyists to get their group off the service tax list. This was totally a hack job of a law that, if you look down the list, hurts lots of groups that traditionally don't have large lobbyists (like shoe shiners).

I'm not voting for Granholm again - and I usually go democrat.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

please, be fair. it wasn't until just after the election that granholm learned of greater-than-expected tax revenue shortfall. do you expect her to have some superhuman ability to see into the future and anticipate business conditions?

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3702
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it wasn't until just after the election that granholm learned of greater-than-expected tax revenue shortfall.

Please.

Novine

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yup! Twenty-one brand new programs, which will be partially unfunded within a year."

Really? What are the programs?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction, it wasn't until after the election that Granholm announced the great than expected shortfall. If she really didn't know about it, then she has extremely dumb people working for her. Not that Dick DeVos would be doing any better right now.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3720
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously doubt that Devos would have supported raising taxes in the way they were done. He was also not beholden to unions as Grahnolm is. The sacred cows in the ranks of the government employees are off limits with Granholm.

Bob

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeVos's inexperience in government would not have made the situation play out much different. The Dems would still have controlled the House and would have probably let government shutdown. DeVos may know how to run a private company, but I think he would have serious issues trying to run public government. He may not have raised taxes, but he would not have known how to compromise with the legislature short of writing them a fat check from his personal fortune to get what he wants. Not to mention his wife was such a nutjob when she was the head of the MI GOP. She did not even get along with John Engler.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A nickel for every post on a DY thread. That will clear up any budget problem quickly.
Supersport and jjaba will lead the way.
Of course, Lowell will have to hire a cadre of accountants to settle weekly with Lansing.

The_rock

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A nickel for every post on a DY thread. That will clear up any budget problem quickly.
Supersport and jjaba will show us the way.
Of course, Lowell will have to hire a cadre of accountants to settle weekly with Lansing.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Considering personal dating services are included in the tax, do you think we'll stop seeing those darn advertisements for EHarmony and Match now that their businesses will pull out of Michigan? I could only hope."

^^^^^^^^ lol lol lol lol

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3727
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob -

Not that it benefits anyone to speculate about a Devos victory, but yes he was not as experienced in government although I am not sure that is a negative.

However I would rather have a guy who understands business than a tax and spend liberal lawyer who is beholden to the very interest groups that need to be reigned into streamline government in this state.

Bob

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we may get our chance to have him as our governor yet. Although I would hope the GOP would be smarter than that. Although DeVos can scare anyone away with his Scamway money. Although if we have Lt. Gov Cherry on the Dem side, I think we will end up with DeVos as our governor.

(Message edited by bob on October 12, 2007)

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The proof is in the put in."

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4320
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock:

Today's special: You get a 10% discount on your duplicate posts earlier today.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with DeVos was how scary his wife is. She is pretty much every evil thing that anyone can say about politician. Kind of like the reason I did not vote for Clinton the second time was Hillary. Scary spouses are not good things.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3741
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Dan Mulhern and his taxpayer funded staff is far better.

Novine

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DeVos's biggest problem would have been his fellow Republicans. They talked tough about budget cuts but many of them bailed on that and MESSA when it came time to vote.

The_rock

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Livernois! Mea culpa too. I guess it boils down to who had the stronger lobby advocating their respective causes.
And if that's the case, then Michigan has both more and effective lobbyists representing the golfing industry, than they do representing the skiing industry. Or, perhaps the legislators prefer golf to skiing
At least the attorney fee remains sancrosect, and not subject to the wicked tax.
And I will only post this once.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4322
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting see what might come of the recall drive against those RINOs and Dems that started today or yesterday. Detroit and Michigan won't improve until there are fundamental changes made to the state's finances, which the current crop of career politicians won't make. Therefore, it's beneficial to shorten the careers of those least responsive to change.

Apparently, receivership (or threats of) for cities or taxpayers' revolts are probably the only forces with teeth. The young won't stay and after a decade, there won't be many middle-aged people with families around either. The politicians surely know this, but they're just concerned about the very short term and their fiefdoms and feeding their cronies.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Was her nose growing on the TV version?"

No, but that mole on her face was giving her advertising advice.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4324
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Granholm needs is a witch's wart on the tip of her nose--a beauty mark.

Bob

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leon Drolet for Governor

Umcs

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,

Do you mean the hypocritical Leon Drolet who continues to milk the taxpayers of the State of Michigan for lifetime medical benefits for his stint in the Legislature while also milking the taxpayers of Macomb County for his salary and benefits as a County Commissioner? You mean that Leon Drolet? Keep drinking the hooch.

Bob

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was being highly sarcastic.

Umcs

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god Bob. I was thinking I was going to have to hunt you down and shoot you with a hammer-gun.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3034
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I highly doubt that'll happen.

Most of those targeted for recall are republicans.

The mi-gop is in a bit of a quandary right about now (no pun intended).

They claim to support smaller government and lower taxes (which ironically, wasn't too different from KK telling Detroiters to get off of their porches and get a job).

They also blindly support those who sport a "-r" after their names, which places them in a Catch-22.

Stay tuned...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.