Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hole in the Wall Restaurant Suggestion Please « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My birthday is next month and I obviously want to have a birthday dinner in the city. It will just be 4 of us. I don't want to go to and upscale restaurant. What suggestions do you have with the pre requisites being that number one it is very good, but also that it is either, a hole in the wall, a Detroit staple, authentic ethnic food, or off the beaten path. Thank you in advance.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Howe's Bayou in Ferndale; 9 & Woodward. The Blue Nile on 9 mile....Azteca across from Oakland Mall...no wait, those aren't in Detroit. Aknartoon's if you can find it. It was on Woodward North of Chicago but moved elsewhere. I've not seen it anywhere as of yet.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5494
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest the original Buddy's near 6 Mile & Davison. Can't beat the pizza and the "hole in the wall" charm that you seek can be found there...

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 912
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux Cafe for a couple buckets of mussels, many pints, and feather bowling (make sure you reserve your lane early). Head to the Tap Room on Charlevoix & Alter afterwards.
www.cadieuxcafe.com

Dakota Inn Rathskeller is also a unique locale w/ authentic German food, good brew and the Schnitzelbank!
www.dakota-inn.com

Don't really think either of these places could be considered 'hole-in-the-wall' (maybe Tap Room), but definitely unique.

(Message edited by rrl on October 11, 2007)

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ivanhoe Cafe on Frederick at Jos. Campau.
http://www.ivanhoecafe-pyc.com /pycmain.html

Very good food - check
Detroit staple - check
Ethnic - check (not the entire menu, but some items are Polish)
off the beaten path - check (definitely check!)
hole-in-the-wall - depends on your definition, but definitely not upscale

Only problem is they're open for dinner only on Fridays.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polonia Restaurant Hamtramck

and I second Cadieux Cafe, though its not that ethnic.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honest John's by Wayne State

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great hole in the wall with ala cart menu based around great steaks...you'll love it:

"Capers" on Gratiot
http://detroit.citysearch.com/ profile/5223230/

I didn't write that 4 star review, but it is pretty awesome. Think LJ's meets Carl's Chop House.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 913
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capers, good call.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6077
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux Cafe will always be one of my faves. I think it'll also fulfill a few of your requirements of being a Detroit staple, the food is pretty decent and for a fun time, rent the lanes and go feather bowling to top off the night.

It's one of my favorite places to entertain out of town guests just because of the decent selection of lagers and it's not likely their home towns have a feather bowling lane.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Los Galenas in Mexican town.

On Saturday night they have a band after 9 p.m. You get to watch dads dance with their daughters and all the rest of the couples too. Good authentic food and sweet atmosphere.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of great neighborhood places, but to meet your specs, Cadieux Cafe hits all the points:

hole in the wall, ... clean but old
a Detroit staple, ... started as a Speakeasy.
authentic ethnic food,... if Beligans are ethnic
or off the beaten path... depends on your path

Feather bowling is a hoot, but you have to make reservations, the beer is cold the food good and you can have a full night of fun for 200 bucks.

Personally, I like the handpainted sign which shows the names of the neighborhood Beligin boys that were in the Service in WWII.
www.cadieuxcafe.com

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're going to Mexican Town, I'd suggest getting frozen margaritas at Las Golanes (DHugger's suggestion), but moving to El Comal across vernor for dinner. Seriously the best food in the area...no joke.

http://detroit.citysearch.com/ profile/5231067/detroit_mi/el_ comal_restaurant.html

(Message edited by quinn on October 11, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Coney at Livernois and McNichols!

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote: Traffic Jam & Snug
http://www.traffic-jam.com

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest Z's Villa on Piquette just east of Woodward.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10697
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Golden Fleece! The only Greektown dive left!

Chicken Kabob...hummus...yum!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've already been given many excellent ideas. I'd like to suggest Sinbad's. It's a Detroit staple and, to me, the food is consistently good.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senor Lopez on Michigan Ave. between Livernois and Lonyo (Mexican).

Roma Cafe in Eastern Market (Italian).

Polonia in Hamtramck (Polish).

Dakota Inn Rathskeller on John R north of Six Mile (German).

All are Detroit staples, all are casual, all are ethnic. All are pretty good, too.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For good Indian food, Sizzle-n-Spice on Monroe across from the Compuware building. (I don't think they have a liquor license though, and the hours can be strange.)

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a "hole-in-the wall" but Omega Coney Island on Chicago & Greenfield or the other location at Grand River & Fenkell has great food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Great prices and quick service.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I suggest Z's Villa on Piquette just east of Woodward."

That is a really really good suggestion. How many bars in Detroit have volleyball courts, horseshoes, outdoor patio TVs, and really good pizza? Z's villa is the place to go!

Timeless
Username: Timeless

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can search http://313rd.com for directions to all of the above listed places. I suggest Roma Cafe as well...

http://313rd.com/biz/roma-cafe
map at the bottom

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dulys!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Cafe on (surprise) Cass. Great food. Upscale but not snobby. Plus, the owner is a great guy (redid my kitchen, too). :-)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bogartz on the east side - just east of Cadieux on Mack (Detroit side) great beer, awesome pizza and steaks. We love it!

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twingo's on Cass Ave. near Wayne State. Not a hole in the wall, not cheap, but food is good and it is cozy.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Twingo's on Cass Ave. near Wayne State. Not a hole in the wall, not cheap, but food is good and it is cozy.

pah! artsy-fartsy overrated. head over to mario's.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All good suggestions, but I'm not impressed yet...I've heard or been to all of these except Polonia and Dakota, both supplied by Fury. Bump...

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sizzlin Spice has beer and wine.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I ate at Mario's was a couple years ago after a Lions game . Food was GREAT , we ate so much almost had to go to the hospital on the way home . I thought I was going to have a coronary for a while .

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detx,
You beat me to it. DULY'S, the very definition of "hole in the wall".

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the Dakota, it too meets all your specs and the sing along is a hoot. You can learn a little German, eat some of the best potato pancakes in the world and amaze yourself in the building's archetecture.

If you haven't been to Germany, then go to the Dakota because inside es ist einem deutschen beir Saal in Goslar oder Freiburg ähnlich.

(Message edited by gnome on October 13, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.