Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Drive-in Restaurants Website « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My cousin Fritz in Maine (a former Royal Oakie) sent me the link to this site and I immediately thought of y'all:
http://www.michigandriveins.co m/lostdetroitdriveinrestaurant s.asp

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't see any A&W drive-ins on that list. Know there were a few in the metro area.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an A&W's at 12mi W. of Woodward in Berkley.

Rochester Rd. N. of I-75.

And one on M-15 N. of Clarkston, between their and I-69. Classic speaker & car-hop type places.

At least that is what I recall from the past few years.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Berkley A & W is on 12 Mile just east of Greenfield (yes west of Woodward, but quite far west) and is still open as of a couple of weeks ago anyway. My husband's family lives in the area so we visit frequently.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a drive in A&W in Taylor on Telegraph just north of Northline rd. I think there is also one in Lincoln Park on southfield.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daves Drive Inn. Piquette and Jonn R. been open since 1954. Daves grandson runs it now. His name is Dave,also. Good Food. Big portions.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3668
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Didn't see any A&W drive-ins on that list. Know there were a few in the metro area.

http://www.michigandriveins.co m/michiganaw.asp

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 913
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dons Drive-In is the best around!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jrvass

There is an A&W's at 12mi W. of Woodward in Berkley.

Rochester Rd. N. of I-75.

And one on M-15 N. of Clarkston, between their and I-69. Classic speaker & car-hop type places.

At least that is what I recall from the past few years.

The A&W on Rochester has been gone for about 10 years.

The A&W's in Berkley and Clawson (Maine S of 14) are owned by the same person. He started working there in High School and has continued onto ownership.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Ted's Drive in on Woodward at Square Lake rd Bus Boy,dish washer,Fry cook,Cole Slaw Maker ( made in huge garbage cans ) and Car Hop I was 13-15 yrs old I remember walking up to a GTO and hooking the tray to his window and boom went the strawberry shake and 5x5 with fries on his lap..No tip....

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an A&W on the road that goes around the east side of Walled Lake. Not sure if it is still there, didn't see it on that website one way or the other.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge - It is still there operating as an independent, Tom's Root Beer Stand.

http://www.michigandriveins.co m/opendriveinrestaurants.asp

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3028
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, there it is. Yeah, I ate there a few times back in the day.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the chick inn out in ypsi, was there in june, food was good.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.