Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Street Smart Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Richelswick
Username: Richelswick

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

First time posting here, but I feel there might be a few folks that are interested in
what we have going on.

We are making a game about what it is like to be homeless in an effort to communicate to
folks, who are curious or wish to understand some of the daily dilemmas of being homeless,
perhaps even social studies type educators and students.

Anyhow, we are currently building a prototype of the game and expect to have it done by
the end of November and was curious if anyone would be interested in joining our team of
game developers.

It is volunteer pay at this time.

Anyhow, here is the game web site:
www.StreetSmartDetroit.com

Thanks,
Rich

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to numerous studies, the majority of homeless in Detroit have serious mental illness or substance abuse issues, often with both overlapping. How, exactly, are you planning on making a "game" out of those situations?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to have a board game called "Horse Is Dead," which was based on the activities-- or lack thereof-- of heroin addicts.
It may sound crass and insensitive, but from a sociological point of view, it can be a very interesting way of perspective-broadening.
Of course, it is "a given" that being a "game" doesn't have to mean that it is all about "fun."
Just ask fans of the "Cubs."

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like a great game, maybe you can have the homeless beat each other for money and videotape it for 'social cause' and explain that society is to blame for their actions.

Maybe have a GAME about how stupid people have and raise children without good parents and foist them onto society and how the taxpayers have to pick up the tab for the crimes they commit?

No, wait, I have a better idea, how about videotaping social workers who use people to take advantage of government programs and blame it on society.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 867
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who was once and briefly homeless, without any of the pathologies that Hockey describes, I resent your flippancy here, some of you. Homelessness is not a fucking joke. Try it sometime. It also happens to all manner of people. A very great many homeless people are in families with children.

Now, having said that, Hockey is correct: a majority, meaning more than 50%, of the homeless have mental health or substance abuse issues. Think about that for a minute, especially with regard to the mental health side of the equation, where we are dealing with people who are not responsible for their problem. There are millions of people with mental health problems. Do you suggest that it's okay that many of such people are living outdoors?

The level of heartlessness indicated by these comments sickens me. Go work a soup kitchen some time and see what there is to see. These are human beings we are dealing with, and a society that has utterly failed to show any compassion to them in their hour of need.

You know those WWJD bracelets that are going around nowadays? Some of you need to buy one, and wear it, and contemplate its meaning.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4220
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The concept homeless guy looks awfully buff for a homeless person, like a good looking actor modeling as a homeless person.

The shot of him sleeping under a newspaper on the pavement by a dumpster looks more a drunk passed out frat kid.

If you have ever get a chance to encounter homeless dwellings/camps, you will find them far more organized and personal, the homeless more typically heavily clothed with several layers and a lot more physically ravaged.

If the spirit of the game is sympathetic, well-researched, and truly educational, it might be a good project. I'll stay tuned before passing judgment.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Detroit?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 638
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A video game? reading this thread without looking at the site first gave me the impression this "game" was like a learning exercise for kids in schools or social gatherings. Sort of like the activities one might see at an office or school "diversity day". Knowing it's a video game sorta makes it moot. Just don't buy or use the game if you don't agree with it. Most kids would probably find it boring...

I feel like this game might have been the idea of Michael Scott :-) the office anyone?

(Message edited by apbest on October 11, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The concept homeless guy looks awfully buff for a homeless person, like a good looking actor modeling as a homeless person."

I was thinking the same. Don't know many homeless that spend any of their time working on their muscles and appearance.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds interesting from a gamers point of view. Will this game come with a scratch-n-sniff pad for authenticity???

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott - Amen!

This is exactly the point of the game. To change attitudes and to put the player in the role of a homeless person so that they can experience what it is like and develop some empathy - not like idiots like Lefty who have no experience yet think they know everything.

Why Detroit? Because the developers of the game live here. Why not Detroit? Would you rather see (another) game based in LA or New York?

The game will address mental illness and drug abuse, but it will be peripheral to game play.

Instead of knocking some folks from this area who are trying to do something positive, why not offer some positive suggestions? Is that possible on this board?

Richelswick
Username: Richelswick

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bit long...

Hi all, thank you for your input. I haven't been able to get back and reply to everyone's comments, but they are all useful. Even Lefty's negative comments that allude to the fact that we are doing this to make money. Sure, everyone likes to get paid now don't they, but last I checked we are not doing this for that explicit goal. Brad Jensen, who came up with the game concept for Street Smart Detroit, is currently forming a non-profit based on this game. Check out a site called www.gamesforchange.com to see another type of nonprofit doing similar things.

This is the first public forum, I am aware of , that the game developers have 'advertised the game and gotten feedback from people. Therefore, even Lefty's comments are good because there will be other people out there with a like mindset and therefore the sooner we are able to overcome and alter their opinion of what we are doing, the better. Exactly as Nainrouge stated, change attitudes and create empathy. If one person is changed by our endeavors, then perhaps it is worth it. I would say I have been changed and educated by it, so it has already been worth it for me.

As to the buff main character, well yes, and therefore it will change. good point.

About the mental illness and drug abuse, perhaps yes it will be. For now, the prototype will try to touch on various topics, but the basis for the first level / prototype is to survive one day and make it to the shelter (supposed to get to 10 degrees F overnight type deal) Does anyone know at what point one would freeze to death overnight if you don't find adequate shelter? So the first level is about finding that shelter. One of the basic needs of survival. There are others as well and hopefully we can address all of them, all while ensuring there are game mechanics as part of the allure to play it and keep going.

As stated, why Detroit, well we are all from here and therefore, that is the basis. The prototype will not reflect Detroit in any real way, although long term the desire is to reflect some parts of Detroit. Hopefully at least various inspirations as you might say.

I agree with you Apbest. I do not expect kids to play this game either. Perhaps 1 in 10 valedictorians of a high school *might* play it. Perhaps, a few other kids might play it for whatever individual reason, but it will most likely not be due to how fun the game is. This is also one of the hardest parts of the game we are struggling with in a way. How do you make something fun out of such a dismal situation. The target audience as I see it and several others on the team are: collage age adults taking some sort of social course that addresses homelessness. I personally expect this to be the primary players. Another target audience might be those that are interested in donating to a charity that addresses homelessness or even someone that just wants to understand the issues better.

A couple last items in general.
ProfessorScott I would love to have a private email discussion with you and perhaps include your story in our game, if you would like. That is the thing about human nature, we like to hear stories and is one aspect of the game, storytelling, that will convey issues that are hard to implement in a game mechanic, such as mental illness. BTW, good input Lowell, it will help, especially for our modeling of where a homeless person might live.

Anyhow enough for now. I do expect to have better research as we move beyond the prototype stage, but for now we are working with our experience and input of others such as yourselves. We are also obtaining statistics to help us better convey those within the game.

Thanks again for all your input.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to talk with Gannon and get some of his stories

It seems to me I don't see most homeless sleeping near dumpsters - many still do have a scrap of self-respect - usually they're in parks, along streets, on wide window ledges of offices or stores, on church steps or in corners of porches, under freeway overpasses, etc. - in sheltered corners in bad weather and wind

what some streetfolk look like (not all are homeless here, but many are - read the descriptions for where they live - "in" a city or "on" the streets of)- note clothing, physical appearance, especially condition of skin and typical battered, aged look - http://www.snowsuit.net/

be sure to catch real-life news stories, though I don't like the thought of such behavior being portrayed as in Detroit - other cities treat the homeless much, much worse:
http://www.newsday.com/news/lo cal/newyork

http://www.usatoday.com/news/n ation/2006-01-13-homeless-citi es_x.htm

some SF attitudes

http://findarticles.com/p/arti cles/mi_qn4155/is_20060120/ai_ n16025910/pg_1

and most don't blatantly put a hand out while begging, unless it's rattling a cup, but even that's not all that common

You should go downtown and people watch, observantly walk around in the wee hours, maybe put in some volunteer mornings at a shelter or at least talk to some staffers to get an accurate picture

and a couple of books you should seek out (I'm sure there are others, too):

Under the Overpass and Songs from the Alley

(Message edited by lilpup on October 14, 2007)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have ALL the respect in the world for the homeless they Don't want to be there for sure.
What I have a problem with is making social fodder of them.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2936
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, your images seem to be of homeless people from someone else's perspective - it would be much more effective if the player was seeing from the homeless person's perspective - looking through his eyes, not at him through someone else's

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Richelswick!

Boy are you people slipping.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.