Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Help - Location of Black/White Wall in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 375
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,

My friend is doing some research and has been trying to locate the wall that the federal government built in the 1940s to separate black and white areas. I have been trying to help her locate where it is on a map based on the information at this site: http://detroit1701.com/Black-W hiteWall.htm

I have been able to find Mendota and Birchwood on the map, but cannot find a Van Antwerp Park, nor an Alfonso Wells Memorial Playground. Have their names changed? Do they even any longer exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's highlighted on my Google map. It's dangling off of Eight Mile.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms ?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=1129 29214237117665492.000439b56147 c2adf4e75&z=12&om=1

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great site. Look at this, pure evidence of US public policy providing privilege for the majority. Completely unrecognized by the recipients of the privilege of course:

"He began his development but was dismayed to find out that the Federal Housing Administration would not back up any mortgages since the Home Owners Loan Corporation coded the area in red."

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10443
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are all lying. There always has been and will always be a fir playing field. If there were ever any inequities in wealth creation, distribution and opportunities a family should be able to make up for it within one generation or they are lazy or stupid.

To say that whites have any advantages is ludicrous as we all know that white, male christians are at the biggest disadvantage in this country.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool map. A few places like Marvin Gaye's former home is new to me. You've got quite a project on your hands if you continue to fill out that map with all the places in Detroit like Tom's Tavern or James Jamerson's former home.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1:

Most whites have plenty of advantages. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody who won't acknowledge this.

The problem is that efforts in recent years that purport to want to "level the playing field" have done nothing more than take the rights that disadvantaged whites shared with disadvantaged minorities and give them exclusively to disadvantaged minorities, while advantaged whites remain in the same position they were in before.

This does not solve any of society's problems. It just moves a different group of people to the back of the bus and leaves them without any means to improve themselves.

This is why anyone who really wants a fair solution to this issue advocates SES-based AA rather than race-based AA.

And really, that's all we did in MI last year...we got rid of race-based AA and forced our public universities to employ the fairer system of SES-based AA so that people no longer slip through the cracks of the system solely because of their race.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Feds also required a similar wall in Miami to divide the Coconut Grove area in the 40's.....

Page 72 of this book discussed the Detroit,Miami and Atlanta wall (built in 1962) and how the Detroit and Miami walls were built at the urging of the FHA!http://books.google.com/books? id=f9ARfEA0nLoC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA 72&dq=coconut+grove+wall+segre gation&source=web&ots=wdAu5Sy3 vE&sig=61x_qdriA4x1onuBrQB1FFR kcKU

Slide 12 of this presentation has a picture (Warning- This presentation shows racial stereotypes and evidence of continued segregation in Miami).

http://www.slideshare.net/carl osgonzalezsf/map-of-the-federa tion-of-imagination/

Finally, here is an 1897 home by a Bahamian who build over 100 homes in the area for blacks during the segregated era. It is in the same street bordering the wall. It is a beautiful format for writing up a historic property.

http://www.historicpreservationmiami.com/pdfs/ewf%20stirrup%20hse.pdf

(Message edited by rooms222 on October 10, 2007)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same as the "wailing wall?" If so, I thought that the developer actually built it without any pressure from the government. The Darden or Sugrue books explain it.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The book above says that it was at the "urging" of the FHA which refused to provide mortgage insurance without it, but that the developer agreed.

(Message edited by rooms222 on October 10, 2007)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5137
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You guys are all lying. There always has been and will always be a fir playing field. If there were ever any inequities in wealth creation, distribution and opportunities a family should be able to make up for it within one generation or they are lazy or stupid.

To say that whites have any advantages is ludicrous as we all know that white, male christians are at the biggest disadvantage in this country.

C'mon Jt1....we all know that that is the truth. All we want is something for nothing in light of the harmonious history and all-inclusive prosperity and opportunity that was evenly shared with the American populace.

You know that we want nothing more than to redistribute wealth and live off welfare...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2377
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DS:

See my post 2374 above

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cool map. A few places like Marvin Gaye's former home is new to me. You've got quite a project on your hands if you continue to fill out that map with all the places in Detroit like Tom's Tavern or James Jamerson's former home.

James Jamerson's home? Where? :-)

I'm not sure how much more I'll put in to this version. I'd prefer a web app pulling data from my own database.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool map fishtoes. Thanks for reading my United Sound article!

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any information on the African American families that originally settled in the area before the wall was built.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome Map- Thanks for posting! I was also wondering as I wanted to do photography along here.

Thanx!

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey 30th, did you live on 30th??

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Detroit Yes! for helping learn about and locate these items through the years.

The Birwood wall is definitely worth the trip.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.