Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Anyone remember the Schnekenburger family in the D?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm tracing some family roots and there were gaggles of them in detroit since coming over from germany in the mid 1800s. unfortunately, many of my older relatives have long since passed since my mother was born in 1953, and her parents were well into their 40s at the time. they settled in the 3rd/canfield area and moved to the westside. all of the kids went to Cooley in the 1960s to early 70s. also...my fathers side is Jacobsen. same high school during the same time. unfortunately...very old parents. my grandparents all passed when i was very young, so i missed out on some great stories. any help would be appreciated!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10437
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe a lot of people use the resources at the Library. I can't recall which one specifcally.

Ancestry.com is also a neat site and I think they have a 'first 7 days free' type of deal.

Mrsprunk
Username: Mrsprunk

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks...i will check out the library. i was just hoping maybe a forumer knew any of them (:

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 801
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burton Historical collection at the main library.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check and see if your local library has Ancestry Library Edition or Heritage Quest genealogy databases available for you. You can search the federal census (every 10 years from 1790-1930). From that, you can get a variety of information, depending on the census year - each census asked different questions.

The 1900 census gives you the month and year someone was born. Some give the year of immigration, whether the person became a naturalized citizen, how many years married, how many children the wife had given birth to and how many were still living, whether they rented or owned, what their job was - tons of stuff.

BTW - the older Cooley High grads still have an annual picnic in the suburbs once a year (my mom's an alum, too).

Hope this helps!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.