Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Midtown Loop. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard any news on the midtown loop? Last I had heard they had allocated more than enough money for Phase I which was to begin construction in July of this year. I haven't seen anything and in my opinion this will GREATLY improve the street scape along Cass near WSU if and when it happens.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aaaw yes ive read about this project. This will be the best project for normalizing our urban core. Far as i hear its still bout to happen.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone explain to me precisely what is the "midtown loop" and where I can find out more about it?

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google "midtown loop" - first two results:

http://www.google.com/search?c lient=opera&rls=en&q=midtown+l oop&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe =utf-8

(Third result is a rail project in Atlanta of the same name.)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitrising.com/i mages/greenway3.jpg

Professorscott

Post Number: 859
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I read the articles, but I'm still not completely getting the concept. What is this supposed to be and who are the intended users? What I know so far is where it is, and that some people are willing to spend money on it.

I'm very interested, and the articles linked were frustratingly devoid of detail.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4252
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott: It's Detroit's version of the bike path that goes nowhere. Build it and they will come...

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, if they extended the People Mover up to Midtown/New Center, we could have another kind of Midtown Loop...

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 635
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

False, it will connect to the dequindre cut

Professorscot, "what it is" is pretty clearly outlined in the articles; since you already know where it is.....

"The Loop will consist of a 12-foot wide path that is distinguished with patterned, stained concrete and separated from street traffic with decorative bollards. The area will be landscaped and contemporary lighting will be installed adjacent. Street furniture and bike lockers are also planned along the route."

Here are some more detailed images for your viewing pleasure
http://www.detroitrising.com/i mages/greenway2.jpg
http://www.detroitrising.com/i mages/greenway1.jpg
http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/image_lib/Greenway_Detroit_ Science_Ce.gif

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hadnt seen those renders before. I really like the concept, I just hope that the stained concrete doesnt look cheesy like it could based on the drawings. Perhaps something a bit more subtle.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first phase of the Midtown Loop is tied to a road project that is delayed. If I recall correctly, that delay should be resolved soon. That's why construction hasn't started as planned.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Midtown Loop will connect areas like Wayne, the Medical Center, the Max, and the Museums.

It will improve the pedestrian environment. Whats not to like?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner... some people aren't happy until they share their cup of bitterness in each topic. As long as taxpayers aren't footing the bill, a lot of people should just STFU. :-D

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's not to like? I'd rather they widen Woodward by 2 lanes in each direction!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket... you experience traffic issues on Woodward in that area? Can't say I've ever heard that problem.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket_City just wants to make the east-side/west-side division more prominent in mid-town

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greatlakes, I thought I was walking into some kind of mass transit thread to. Go figure.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I just hope that the stained concrete doesnt look cheesy like it could based on the drawings."

Stained concrete is not terrible. It isn't like as nice as stone pavers, but hey it is a bike path. Sure beats the stamped asphalt they try doing down here in Charlotte. They then paint it red to make it look like bricks. A few cars drive over it and then it looks like crap, wearing it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/e arthco/271818070/

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the bike riders and pedestrians going to be in the same space? A lot of cities make that against the law because it's so dangerous.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul: I actually like stained concrete and it has lots of potential. My concern wasnt the fact they decided to do that, it was more based on the color palette chosen for the staining. Thats my concern.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on guys, stop tiptoeing around what's really going on here. The giant rainbow makes you uncomfortable. Admit it.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are the bike riders and pedestrians going to be in the same space? A lot of cities make that against the law because it's so dangerous.

Not sure. I see in one of the drawings there are two paths. In another there's just one. Nonetheless, I imagine that I'll stick to the roads when moving quickly through that area.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its about time they do something with the cultural center of the city. This project will really make this area look nice, not to mention make it a more distinguished looking area of the downtown, people will know they have arrived!

Mdoyle

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes2000, do you know what project is delaying this? I would guess its all of the sidewalk work going on. not sure what theyre doig exactly but involves a lot of various sized tubes. Im pretty excited about getting some quality public lighting along cass. Im not keen on the stained concrete, I would think that Id be happy with just the curving groves. Also Im not sure how this works, will this remove a lane of traffic or street parking from the area?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5485
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't look too bad... but in the back of my mind is the red tinker toys and plaza area on Washington Blvd., and how that was going to spruce up that avenue. Instead it screwed up the retail that remained on that avenue. Now if this project reduces on street parking, aren't we headed the same way as old Washington Blvd?

One thing I don't like is those tall grasses (or whatever they are). If they are really used, they will be litter catchers.

Another thing that worries me is the planters. The city is notorious for putting in planters (such as those along east Jefferson near the Grosse Pointe border) and then not maintaining them. Ever see flowers in them?

Of course if this is a non-city entity maintaining this, then I have more faith that it will succeed.

But somehow I think that feeling that 20 years down the road, the city will come in and rip it all out again because it was someones "trendy but failed urban scheme".

Professorscott

Post Number: 862
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it fails at all, Gistok, it will be because it is not a systemic change to the environment but just a spot change. We have got, all over Michigan, all sorts of multi-use path facilities but they don't go anywhere and they don't connect to each other and they don't connect to neighborhoods, so the only way to get to them is drive.

The transportation of people is a subject that needs to be approached holistically and in a multi-modal way, but nobody in Michigan appears to know how to do that, or much care.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4261
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fifteen years ago, Marquette University and the city of Milwaukee had planned to block off five blocks of the main drag downtown through MU--a lead balloon in the making. Finally, citizens objected to those foolish urban planners and halted the ill-advised and expensive Avenue Commons project.

Although, not blocking vehicular traffic, this plan seems to be a foolish waste of money. If it does get built, though, do it without public funding...

Professorscott

Post Number: 864
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt, LY. Remember when lower Woodward was closed to vehicular traffic? Didn't quite accomplish what anyone wanted.

If you want a thriving urban environment, go and study where they exist, and copy what is working. No need to invent new stuff here. Old stuff works fine.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4263
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott: I've only been in SW Detroit the past ten years after moving from Wisconsin in order to be closer to relatives in Michigan. Most of my WI relatives have moved from there too or died off.

But those same urban planner types (who mainly survive by breaking and then "fixing" things) did the same thing to Madison's State Street in 1977, and its downtown has never been the same since--business-wise. Actually, the real downtowns there are miles away--near East Towne Mall near Sun Prairie or by West Town Mall near Middleton. Downtown is just state office buildings, some attorneys, and lobbyists.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fishtoes2000, do you know what project is delaying this?

No, unfortunately I don't.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, This project is using greenways, MDOT, plus other contributions. The money has already been allocated and this plan has been on the table since 2004. In addition to the idea of the path to nowhere, this loop is Phase I of a multi phase greenways initiative to connect midtown and the cultural district to the Dequindre cut project and the riverwalk. While currently these sections are not contiguous they have a better chance of completion into a useful pathway if they're each being worked on at the same time. Please check page 2 of this pdf to see the proposed route including the connectors to the Dequindre Cut.
http://www.landpolicy.msu.edu/ modules.php?name=Documents&op= viewlive&sp_id=176

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion,

Several million in federal tax dollars were earmarked for this project in SAFETEA-LU. These dollars are from gasoline tax revenues, though there are contributiions from other sources too. Unfortunately since it comes from a federal earmark, complaining about the project won't make it go away. You don't get a chance to spend the money on any other transportation need (unlike other federal dollars where you can have a voice). Either you use the money or lose it (think mass transit dollars from Ford Adminstration)

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

livernoisyard
obviously you haven't been to state street in madison since 1977. i suggest you take a trip and reconsider your position. the majority of my graduating class goes to UW Madison. so i visit often. anyways theres a ton of pedestrian traffic during the week. and a huge farmers market on saturdays. detroit could never sustain and pedestrian avenue now, but a correctly planned shared space has much more potential for success.
btw middleton was voted the best place to live in america
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M iddleton%2C_Wisconsin
and madison is always near the top

Gistok

Post Number: 5487
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know the connection to the Dequindre Cut and the Riverwalk. Thanks for the info folks.

But now that begs the question... will there be a need for this connectivity? Again, I don't mean to be negative, because anything that will help Detroit is an absolute positive.

But I have to go back to thinking about Washington Blvd. and the trolley. It went from RenCen to GCP, but it was hardly ever used. I do hope that there will be a lot of users for this "connectivity" of areas.

Although the Riverwalk and this Midtown Loop will have a lot of pedestrian activity (as well as cyclists), I doubt that there will be much pedestrian activity in the Dequindre cut, just mostly cyclists.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4268
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad you never saw the traffic up and down State Street. Most everybody who lived there back then misses it. Having Frances Street broken up and such made dead ends and surely didn't help business there.

Farmer's Market is OK, but the Square was always deserted on weekends anyway, and those markets have been there a whole decade before taking traffic off State Street and all. And I've been to the People's Republic of Madison a lot and know what's there.

The shops on State Street usually don't open until later in the college class day--around 10 or 11 AM, and the shops close in late afternoon or evening. When the day workers go home, the shops close except those that serve food and those that cater to students. Even many of the latter don't keep long hours.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 10, 2007)

Mdoyle

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I've noticed around the midtown/WSU area this year in particular a definite uptick in the number of bikes. At WSU more than ever (I've been there for 4+ years) there are tons of bikes. In fact theyve added several bike racks around campus and they are constantly filled all day. I see a high demand for a bike path.

Gistok

Post Number: 5489
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mdoyle, that's great!

LY, I too have been down State Street in Madison, a majestic thoroughfare. Aren't the former Orpheum and Capitol Theatre's used as entertainment venues? (Isn't one called the Oscar Meyer Center?) Both of those theatres were designed by Chicago architects Rapp & Rapp, who also did the Michigan Theatre and Leland Hotel.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4279
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Capitol was converted eons ago into the Civic Center. The Orpheum pretty much still runs movies and stage acts--it's an old burlesque theater.

I rarely ever went to either except for a few chamber concerts or when a bluegrass band was there. All of the major/medium stores downtown left during the 1960s to 80s.

As a downtown business district, there's nothing in Madison but government related or not-for-profits--much like the downtowns of inactive cities, of which one is but a few miles from here...

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this would be really nice. and i think the colorful renderings of the sidewalks looks great. our city could use some nice bright colors.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.