Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Looking for a place in Northville « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need it quickly since my car is already half packed. I'm thinking I'm going to rent for a year or two to see if it's everything people on here says it is before buying. Any suggestions on apartments?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about this place?

Northville - In the old city of Northville in the 40's and 50's, were many insane asylums. They were not even a mile apart and ran through the whole town. They were all linked underneath the ground, for underground passages of very mentally ill patients and there's rumors that that's where many of the out of control patients were punished, not to alarm the others. The tunnels go all through the town, and under buildings, which are now on the place of the asylums. The tunnels are blocked off but the people who are brave enough to go in have experienced screaming, voices, moaning and orbs. Feelings of people behind you, crashes against the walls, and more. The tunnels are miles long and are tight compacted areas. The buildings of the insane asylum have now been torn down and they are building a sub-division on the land.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2360
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't think you'd be happy here, EH. You should stay put.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you being serious E-Hemingway, i cannot tell?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2361
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The buildings of the insane asylum have now been torn down and they are building a sub-division on the land."

Nah, the mental hospital is still standing...Schostak is in a dispute w/ the local government over how much retail goes in there. Schostak wants 40 acres, but the local government doesn't want to hurt the downtown businesses and wants only 25 acres...so for the time being, the tower is still standing

Thejesus

Post Number: 2362
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are you being serious E-Hemingway, i cannot tell?"

Forgive him. He's trying to be funny...he made a sarcastic comment in another thread, someone laughed at him, and now he's beating it until it's dead...

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news EH that means you can just squat in the tower for a few months while you check out that cool sweet Northville life.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's about one of those $700,000 Pulte homes near the town refuse "center" on Ridge Rd.? People who live there can't get enough of the gulls.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10420
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like anyone that lives in Detroit could afford to live in Northville. Keep dreaming.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious!

Jt1

Post Number: 10421
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Are you being serious E-Hemingway, i cannot tell?"

Forgive him. He's trying to be funny...he made a sarcastic comment in another thread, someone laughed at him, and now he's beating it until it's dead...

Well all of us trashy, unemplied, thug types in the city have a different sense of humor from you. Maybe one day we'll 'wake the f- up' and develop a better sense of humor. I sure wish there was someone around to tell us to 'wake the f- up.' Seeing those words on a forum would certainly change our collective sense of humor.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2364
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^actually, Jt1, you'd be surprised to learn how affordable Northville is...the real question is, would it be too upsetting for a Detroiter to see that Northville removes graffiti - akhem, excuse me - "public art" - when it goes up in places it doesn't belong

Jt1

Post Number: 10422
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tj - I think that my anti-graffitti track record is well documented on this board.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hilarious!"

IHD would probably like it though, since there's an abundance of white folks to play the race card against

Jt1

Post Number: 10424
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya got that right. From city-data.com

Races in Northville:

White Non-Hispanic (95.1%)
Hispanic (1.6%)
Two or more races (0.8%)
Chinese (0.6%)
Other race (0.6%)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^sounds about right

Jt1

Post Number: 10425
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tj - I don't know much about Northville (actually I have only driven through). What is the range in home pricing? I suspect that there are very wealthy areas but very reasonable prices as well.

I'm guessing the range is low 200s to Millions.

Jt1

Post Number: 10426
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the city-data number is based upon 2000 census. Not certain.

Other data:

2000: 6,459 residents
2006: 6,228 residents (estimated)

Median age: 41
Median Household income: $84,200

Also all from city-data.com

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IHD would probably like it though, since there's an abundance of white folks to play the race card against

You aren't gonna lure me all the way out there to get lynched. I prefer to view Northville from behind locked doors and rolled up windows from M-14.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's about right...there's quite a wide range, though the average is definitely on the lower end of that scale...plus the area has been overbuilt in some spots and a brand new house that would have sold for $500k a few years ago goes for closer to $300k

Plus there are a ton of historic houses near the downtown, i.e., early 20th century, that fetch a premium over houses of comparable square footage because they are located in subdivisions of like houses that are all kept in great condition

Jt1

Post Number: 10428
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

.plus the area has been overbuilt in some spots and a brand new house that would have sold for $500k a few years ago goes for closer to $300k

Pretty much everywhere is facing that. Thanks for the info. I have been in Plymouth a few times. How does Northville downtown/historic area compare to that?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1:

Northville township is closer to 25,000...the data you have is for the city of Northville...it's all one place pretty much

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by on Sunday. The Mental Hospital is looking very unkempt and decrepit. It would be an ideal haunted house. It is so bad, a blight citation would be in order were it not state property.......

Jt1

Post Number: 10429
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that was the case but I only saw a single instance of Northville (or township listed).

Rooms - Depending upon who owns the hospital (city or state) someone would be looking at a potentially huge lawsuit if anything happened in there. I can't imagine any political entity would want to expose themselves to that financial risk.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How does Northville downtown/historic area compare to that?"

Northville has more historic homes and neighborhoods but some of the ones in Plymouth are nicer IMHO...Northville is catching up though

The downtowns are similar, though Northville has more of an older feel to it (in a good way)...Northville is also completeing construction/rennovation this month of their town square ...the downtown are was already very walkable but it will be even more so after this

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Drove by on Sunday. The Mental Hospital is looking very unkempt and decrepit.

I don't understand. I thought this was the place where people wouldn't allow such things to happen. Wow, the Northvillians must really not care if they allow that sort of blight to go on unabated. Why don't they just wake the f up and put a stop to it?

Jt1

Post Number: 10431
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. Always nice to hear communities maintaining their history in our 'tear down first' region.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Races in Northville:

http://www.northvilledowns.com /

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the state owns the hospital, the local municipality cannot cite it for violations. It can try to use political pressure through the Governor and/or Legislature, but the state has all the power in the state/local govt. relationship.....Of course if it were an open and notorious nuisance, rather than a blighted eyesore, court action might bear fruit to force demolishing or securing a state government building.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That hospital is seperate from the one mentioned earlier with subdivisions on it. That was 5 mile and Sheldon. The one still standing is 7 Mile and Haggerty.
Go check the crime statistics. It's hard to argue against moving to Northville once you see those.Very safe.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I own a McMansion in Northville. It really was a fine place to live.

Living downtown Detroit has its advantages too. I don't view safety as a significant negative in Downtown Detroit. I never looked over my shoulder in Northville, though I still do downtown sometimes. Personal safety is very high in Northville.

The only property crime I have had occurred in Northville. Some assholes came up to our front porch area and stole a very nice bench ($700). I only had that bench for two weeks.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^You mean to tell me that people steal in Northville?

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course they don't steal things in Northville. They find things. Oh SNAP! Beat y'all to the punchline.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course they don't steal things in Northville. They find things. Oh SNAP! Beat y'all to the punchline.

I must say, that was a good one!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few apartment complexes in the area. The largest concentration is along 8 Mile just northeast of downtown with a large one on the Northville side and a smaller one on the Novi side. There's also smaller buildings and rentals in downtown proper. Don't expect to get a loft-style unit for a reasonable rate but there's plenty of rental units in houses within walking distance of downtown. Also, there's a complex at Center and Nine Mile in Novi that's older but tends to be cheaper compared to some of the other complexes. Anything within a mile of downtown should be walkable and you're not far from 275, 96 and M-14 if you need to commute.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so petty.......

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To those that have offered advice about Northville, thank you. One of the best things about this forum is how many people are willing to help with information or volunteer their time and money to help a good cause or just help out a new friend. However, I am not moving to Northville, not that there's anything wrong with that. I created this thread to make a point about another forum member's comments on another thread. Yep, I was beating the proverbial dead horse. I believe most people saw that on here, but this post is for the people who might have been confused or took my initial request at face value. I hope this clears the air.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I created this thread to make a point about another forum member's comments on another thread."

Please clarify what you point was. Cuz I just thought you were being a dick.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How jejune.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend that lived in Maincentre on Center St. and Main ... it's a little pricey compared to what's available in the area, I think it's around $1100 for a 1 bedroom, but you're smack dab in the middle of town, and just a walk away from Poole's Tavern, which I have to say has a great burger. Almost as good as Redcoat Tavern, (almost).

If you're looking to buy, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait. Prices have taken a hit the last year. But there are some pretty good condo's in foreclosure right now that may be worth considering. I'm not a realtor, but I can get you in touch with some REO agents that have listings in the area. We just did a renovation loan for a fixer upper near downtown. There's something about the neighborhood surrounding downtown Northville. I lived in Ann Arbor during college, Detroit during grad school, and am in Franklin Village right now (just a block from the cider mill) ... Downtown Northville is unique. Aside from the annoying family events that clog the streets once in a while, it's a great place to consider home.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend that lived in Maincentre on Center St. and Main ... it's a little pricey compared to what's available in the area, I think it's around $1100 for a 1 bedroom, but you're smack dab in the middle of town, and just a walk away from Poole's Tavern, which I have to say has a great burger. Almost as good as Redcoat Tavern, (almost).

If you're looking to buy, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait. Prices have taken a hit the last year. But there are some pretty good condo's in foreclosure right now that may be worth considering. I'm not a realtor, but I can get you in touch with some REO agents that have listings in the area. We just did a renovation loan for a fixer upper near downtown. There's something about the neighborhood surrounding downtown Northville. I lived in Ann Arbor during college, Detroit during grad school, and am in Franklin Village right now (just a block from the cider mill) ... Downtown Northville is unique. Aside from the annoying family events that clog the streets once in a while, it's a great place to consider home.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a HUD home in Northville for sale:

http://sales.clfres.com/Search ByCityResults.aspx?State=MI&Ci ties=NORTHVILLE

Novine

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's actually a condo and it's located in Novi with Novi schools but Northville mailing.

For those who didn't notice, this was a phony request for info although someone trolling the archives some day may find it helpful.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct Novine, that Plymouth/Northville area does have a lot of character for outlying suburb kind of places

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4225
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...located in Novi with Novi schools but Northville mailing"

Recently I learned that^ area carries the humorous name of No-ville.

Cue the Beatles song:

"He's a real nowhere man
Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody."

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is funny, my Boss lives there, I'll use that one on him

Novine

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what the locals call it. Most No-ville residents are Novi residents who lie within the Northville School district. In the past, many of them had Northville mailing also. This makes them very Northville-focused even though they live in Novi. Just to complicate things, there are some Novi residents with Northville mailing who attend Novi schools (less likely to call themselves No-ville) and some Farmington Hills residents with Northville mailing (no idea what their nickname might be).

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents have a Northville mailing address, but we went to South Lyon schools. Go figure.

Novine

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Portions of Lyon Township and Salem Township have Northville mailing also. Of those areas, some go to Northville schools and some to South Lyon.

http://www.oakgov.com/oss/asse ts/docs/zip_codes_letter.pdf

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Case in point, the manufactured home park on the south side of 8 mile near Currie. I believe it is called Northville Crossing. However, its located in Washtenaw county

Amiller
Username: Amiller

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth and Northville are more of a cohesive area than Northville and Novi. Take Main St. in Northville west until it curves and turns into Northville Rd., take that south until it turns into Starkweather in Plymouth, drive through Old Village Plymouth (Plymouth's second downtown) then turn right at Main St. in Plymouth, and take it to Downtown Plymouth. The entire drive is lined with historic buildings and houses, and is adjacent to the beautiful Hines Park (with an abundant amount of recreation such as trails, disc golf, sports, playgrounds, etc). The whole area is very hilly, and is Unique for this part of Michigan. A very long time ago there used to be a trolley connecting Northville and Plymouth. Maybe someday it may be rebuilt.

I grew up in Northville, and Plymouth and Northville are two of my favorite places. It's too bad the Plymouth Township and Northville Township got swallowed by the Detroit Suburbs. The cities seemed to remain relatively unharmed, but the townships are a cold and inhospitable environment of McMansions, Big Box Stores, and massive parking lots (although still nicer than other suburban environments!

Novine

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall that the "trolley" connected Northville and Plymouth. Northville used to be the terminus for the interurban line that ran along 8 Mile Road.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.