Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » MOCAD « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody else see the neon lights across the front of the MOCAD? In big letters it says "EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT", or something close to that. I wish I had pics.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on October 09, 2007)

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, saw it.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love it...saw it Sunday. Wow.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MOCAD

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 820
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And how are we feeling today? Super! Thanks for asking!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2755
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tell your ma, tell your pa

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shawn Mullins is playing at MoCAD?
Well, Rock-a-bye...

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I saw this it made me really happy. Thank you mocad...seriously.

I'm not waiting for all the negative nancies to pipe up in 3...2...1.

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the museum wanted to get that sign up in time for the exhibit's opening a few weeks ago, but they had problems getting through the city's red tape. go fig

Vas

Post Number: 821
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graffiti bomber is still up there too huh?
MOCAD's ears were burning. With a chime, just got their email update on their public programs

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is a piece by artist Martin Creed (who has another piece in the show that says "Feelings." Yes, the Barry McGee graffiti "tag" piece still adorns the building but the animatronic human that used to hang from the top has been removed... The robot human will show up inside the museum in time, maybe in the front over the desk... if you havn't seen the new show, stop by. It is called Words Fail Me. (http://www.mocadetroit.org for hours) if you're there wednesday or some weekends, stop by the store and say hello to me!

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought it was a wonderful piece I saw it last night. The Words Fail Me show is very good, however Shrinking Cities was still my favorite. I :HEART: MOCAD

Vas

Post Number: 822
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy,

How come Shrinking cities didn't stick around longer? It seemed like it was only there for a couple months.

Andylinn

Post Number: 586
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was just before my time (I was hired with the launch of "STUFF" the exhibit after Shrinking Cities) however, I believe it has something to do with Shrinking Cities being a traveling international exhibit, where all of the rest, Meditations, STUFF, and Words Fail me were MOCAD specific so they have more control over their timeframes...

Oldoak
Username: Oldoak

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended a talk for artists last Wednesday so a belated hello, Andylinn. Very impressive show and space -- the store is interesting and I will check back when the cafe opens.

btw I sent info on the opening for director to an out-of-town friend - any news on filling that position?

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering, does anyone know what the graf tag across the building says? I always assumed it read, "MOCAD", but after looking at that picture I think it says something different.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They misspelled "all right"...

Username: 1805

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the sign in theory, but feel that it may just have too much of pretentious ring to it.

"Everything is going to be alright," says the contemporary art museum? For the indigent in the area, I can see them shaking their heads.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1805, I understand your point about the indigent. But I think the intention of the artist is to inspire hope in anyone who can read, regardless of their societal status, and I think that is powerful. We can only answer for ourselves whether this happens or not, but I applaud the artist for at least planting the seed. Hopefully the seed or message will grow, especially with those who are less fortunate.

Besides, everything IS going to be all right, right?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because everything in Detroit must cater to the indigent.

Andylinn

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tag is by graffiti artist Barry McGee and reads "AMAZE"

All Right is the traditional spelling, but "ALRIGHT" seems to pass by the microsoft word spell check ok...

Andylinn

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the director position is still technically open for applicants, but there are some serious contenders in the midst of interviews right now...

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually "all right" and "alright" are both ok, although "alright" is considered slightly less conventional.

Andylinn

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plus "alright" costs substantially less $$$ to install.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/ alright

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh4hipster,

I don't understand. What then is "everything is going to be alright" intended to convey and to who, if not the city's indigent? People living in the Ellington? Maybe those down-and-out vagabonds moving into the Book Cadillac penthouses? It seems to me that the artist used a rather quixotic phrase only to directly respond to the area's indigent, not those well-to-do; I think they know "everything is going to be alright."

No, not everything in Detroit has to cater to those with low income and struggling to get by (most of Detroit's population), just a small niche of those who are comfortable enough to vomit politics and quixotic idealism with no real answers of their own. It's a contemporary art museum. What can they do to ensure that "everything is going to be alright?" If the Red Cross had this stamped across their building, I wouldn't have any qualms.

I'm actually an idealist, myself. And I'd like to think that things CAN and might get better. However, I'm also not so pretentious and naive not to acknowledge reality and forget where I'm speaking from. You should ask, "Who am I to say? What am I doing about it?" I think before MOCAD so romantically put this up, they should have asked themselves the same question. This just shows how inept "meaningful" art can be.

(Message edited by 1805 on October 11, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10471
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Everything is going to be alright" can speak to people on every level. Money does not make everything alright.

Maybe someone in the Ellington lost a loved one, maybe someone is suffering from a broken heart, maybe someone is unhappy with their career, maybe someone just had a bad day.

To equate 'everything is going to be alright' as a message to people based upon finances or lack of finances really speaks volumes about our menatlity in this bigger is better, consumer driven world.

Too bad if you ask me.

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, it can. I didn't mean to equate those words only as a message based on finance, at all.

I'm just looking at the art, observing its setting, and questioning the artist's motivation. It's art, and I can do that.

Although I do know there remain too many people who will defend the piece in the context I offered without real consideration and blind naivete.

(Message edited by 1805 on October 11, 2007)

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Everything is Going to Be Alright' reminds me of the Jamaican catch phrase - 'Don't Worry Be Happy'.

Time to break out some ganja so our vision will turn tropical and pretty.

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can appreciate your interpretations of the piece. However, what should be considered is the perception of every other Detroiter. It's art, so it's open to interpretation. One of my many interpretations was one of detached pretentiousness, so I offered it to the forum. I'm betting that this perception is shared by a number of others whose circumstances don't allow them to share their views here. On the other hand, like Jt1 pointed out, it can mean something else in connotation. So I don't necessarily hate it. I can see its value.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rnDrbagYm24

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno what the exact target or meaning of the piece is but personally when I see it I feel very happy and warmed by the statement. Its reassuring, like a good friend letting you know theyre there for you. Everything is going to be alright.

Oldoak

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One purpose of art is to stimulate thought and expression in others - this one seems to have done the job.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I dunno what the exact target or meaning of the piece is but personally when I see it I feel very happy and warmed by the statement. Its reassuring, like a good friend letting you know theyre there for you.

exactly

quote:

Everything is going to be alright.

Between this, the joy of seeing beat cops again, and other changes in the city, long lost positivity seems to be poking its head up a little

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as Bob Marley once said,

Dont worry about a thing,
cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin: dont worry about a thing,
cause every little thing gonna be all right!
Rise up this mornin,
Smiled with the risin sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou:-)

Lilpup

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT

bump, for the new city motto

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"tell your ma, tell your pa"

Can't you feel it? Don't ignore it, gonna be alright.

Are you listening, mobsters?

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey guys, first-time poster here.

i know that to some i may come off as simple-minded or naive by saying this, but i was genuinely uplifted by seeing a picture of this installation. i didn't look at it in any context; i just allowed myself to smile and be comforted for a moment in an otherwise hectic, thankless day.

as i am out of the area for school and won't be able to see "words fail me" until thanksgiving, can someone who has seen the exhibit tell me more about it? thanks.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's the Metro Times review What’s in a word

Oldoak

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn, please tell me that the neon on the outside of the building is going to stay!

Today when I dropped off a new handyman at Woodward and MLK - his neighborhood - I brought up the subject of the neon sign. Turns out he had been struggling with a personal problem, taking a walk in the neighborhood to clear his head and boom - there's the sign right in front of him. He did not notice it previously. He said it gave him hope and comfort. He LOVES the sign (but he misses the guy hanging off of the building).

I love the sign too. I know that MOCAD is not a collecting museum but...can we start a petition?

In spite of the few naysayers, people need hope and appreciate an uplifting REMINDER that EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT.

As a nearby resident I would consider it a public service.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.