Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Chessmate, Raven Gallery, The Last Retort,....... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

......Absolute Zero and other folk clubs of my youth.

Is there any information out there of the history of "folk" music in the Detroit area from the early '60's and through the early '70's. Players would include Chuck and Joni Mitchell, Phil Marcus Esser, Charlie Latimer and Paul Bowles, Josh White, Jr. and others.....

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 784
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Phil Marcus Esser and the Buck Dancer's Choice, anyone remember that?

Ron Coden, I think he is still playing here and there. I saw him at O'Mara's in Berkley not too long ago.

Check out Folks Like Us on WDET Saturdays from 1-4. I think Matt has a good handle on the folk scene and can get in touch with just about anybody. www.Folkslikeus.org.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Living End, that's another folk house from the 60s. I know Joni Mitchell was there very early in her career. I actually saw the Blues Magoos at the Chessmate, so they were branching out a bit.

Douglasm

Post Number: 944
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto, Gazhekwe. Both tours. Morrie had an eclectic booking policy at The Chessmate. Joni and Chuck both played there, as did Joan Baez, Segel-Schwall, Terry Knight, Richie Havens, James Cotton, Spanky and Our Gang and Linda Ronstadt And The Stone Ponies. Makes my coffee house list, though.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before the Raven Gallery was in Southfield (now Sweet Lorraines), it used to be in Birmingham, just off Woodward. I saw Ron Coden play there in the 60's just after he got out of the service. Anyone else remember?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too on the Blues Magoos Gaz. I don't remember the date, but it had to be late 1966 or early 1967. My ears hurt for awhile after that one.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 787
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Blues Magoos was in 1968 because I can't remember which of two men I went with, and I didn't start going out with one of them until 1968. Both the men remember going, but can't remember if they took me. Go figure.

I just checked Wikipedia, apparently they played there several times in 1967. Maybe I went more than once, who knows. Hey, it was the 60s, what can I say?

(Message edited by gazhekwe on October 08, 2007)

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 944
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blues Magoos was pre-1968, I'm fairly sure it was 1966. "LIfe Is Just A Cher Of Bowlies" lol

Douglasm

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65 Memories.....
.....I've brought this up before. What I'm hoping to find is some kind of written history of the Detroit folk/blues/coffeehouse scene and both the clubs and people that were a part of it. There have been extensive writings on both the Rock and Soul/R&B history of SE Michigan, but nothing on the acoustic side. It was a vibrant scene that supported a number of clubs.

As to the Blues Magoos, the were at The Chessmate just prior to the release of "Psychedelic Lollipop". The second time I saw them would be '69, touring the LP with "Never Goin' Back To Georgia" on it.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 788
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't find it here, e-mail Matt via his website folkslikeus.org. If there is such a thing, he will know about it.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember The Delta Lady on Woodward a block south of 9 mile (now Sneakers Pub)? I don't have any personal knowledge of the place, but I recall reading that Joni Mitchell played there.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DL had a lot of jazz in the 70s/80s.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Raven was in the front of what became the Birmingham Teen Center and later(Pub,Paladium)
I saw the Chuck Mitchell Trio with a set by Joni
Richie Havens,and a Young trubadore Bob Dylan,that was in 65,66 before It moved to Southfield and the Rock n Roll started At the Teen Center ,Usually not more than 30-40 people Smoking Cigs drinking Coffee. They had the best French Fries and vanilla cokes I was 14 at the time

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To 65 memories-I have a very vivid memory of seeing Josh White Sr at the Raven(I think at the Birmingham location). Does anyone remember the Raven's owner. I think it was Herb Cohen. I remember he had a snobby daughter who took the $ at the door(my daddy owns the Raven & your's doesnt!). The Raven was a great date place because since they didnt serve alcohol you didnt have to be 21 to get in. Also saw legendary bluesmen Sonny Terry & Brownie Mcgee. One was blind & one was lame. Great blues guitar&vocals & harmonica. I'm not positive but I Believe the Raven's 1st location was on James Couzens somewhere. Now that I think of it, I'm sure I also saw Josh White Jr at the Raven.

Douglasm

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler and Ditman bring up a great point in that these were non liquor clubs, literally coffee houses where all ages could attend.

Anyone remember a folk singer named Rowena? She played around Detroit for years.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Coden is still performing at O'Mara's in Berkley...Charlie Latimer, who used to perform with Phil Marcus Esser and Barbara Bredius (Personals, Jacques Brel, etc.) is also still performing....Josh White, Jr. is still on the circuit.
FYI:
http://latimer.netfirms.com/bo okings.html
http://www.joshwhitejr.com/

Geo_t
Username: Geo_t

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Bay City, so I missed out on these folk venues back then, but Charlie Latimer and Paul Bowles used to perform regularly during the late '60s at the lovely Ginger Blue Coffee House in Saginaw's Old Town and they were terrific. They also graciously allowed me to perform guest sets during the formative period of my musical career.

Joni used to perform there back then too; I missed her by about 6 months, and never did finally see her until that Pine Knob performance some years back promoting the Both Sides Now album with the orchestra; you know, the one where she was almost two hours late showing up?

Just my 2 oz.,

geo

(Message edited by geo_t. on October 09, 2007)

Malcolm_t
Username: Malcolm_t

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also the Hungry eye on Vernor in southwest Detroit...

Douglasm

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geo...
.....do you remember the name of the coffee house in Flint?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Flint's main coffeehouse the Sippin Lizzard?

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bunch of my U of D High classmates and I would hang out til the wee hours at the Chessmate. This was in 66 and 67. Saw the Blues Magoos, Siegal-Schwall, James Cotton Blues Band, and many many others. Got my real introduction to blues at the Chessmate. My frequent companion at the Chessmate was classmate Tom Isaia. We went our separate ways in college (me to the Univ. of Detroit, and Tom to Loyola in Chicago). When Tom returned to Michigan, he founded the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor! No doubt Tom was inspired by our countless Chessmate hours.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My older brother graduated from U of D High back then. He was a cross-country man; a track man. Some of his friends called him 'Sooles'. I remember one of his friends, Art Syniewski from up-state somewhere.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J P McCarthy helped the Irish Rovers with their start when they played at the Living End. Also
saw Odetta there and Gordon Lightfoot

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.