Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bike-based business discussion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ben
Username: Ben

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

I've never posted before, but have read these forums for quite a while. I'm always impressed by the diversity of opinion and history that is presented here. I think these forums are an interesting manifestation of how the net can be a useful catalyst for building community in real life.

It's because of this respect for you all that I come today with a new topic of discussion: bicycle-based business in Detroit.

I'm hoping that some of you have seen manifestations of the growing bicycle culture in the city: bike-powered ice cream vendors, bike rickshaws, Back Alley Bikes, the Detroit Bikes rides, etc.

First, I'm part of a bicycle business, myself. I'm a co-owner of Rock Dove Couriers, a bike messenger company downtown that's just about made it past its first birthday. I'm interested in hearing from people who may have tried similar projects before, or even remember seeing bike messengers downtown in the early half of last century (I've seen pictures!)

Also, I was hoping to see some of the bike rickshaw people I've met come out of the woodwork here and drop some ideas about where they see their business going in the future.

-Ben

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello ben,

I have heard about your business in the past. congrats on the one year anniversary. Perhaps we should ask YOU, where do you see your business going in the future? How was the first year of business. I think it is very interesting and great for the city to have the different bike enterprises popping up around town.

Ben

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as Rock Dove goes, we've been trying to find out what exactly is needed by downtown businesses. This has been difficult, mostly because many of the money downtown seems to be in older businesses that don't necessarily want to try out new things.

One of the promising things we've been trying is food delivery. Office workers often don't have time to go very far for lunch, and some of the best food downtown is, in fact, a little ways out of downtown (ie WSU area/north cass corridor, mexicantown, eastern market). So we've been experimenting with offering delivery for select restaurants.

Non-rockdove-related, I'm totally excited for the pedicab/bike rickshaw people. Our city's core neighborhoods around downtown are a perfect scale for pedicab tours, and there's guaranteed crowds of people who'd appreciate an entertaining ride around Detroit's downtown. Or.. a ride to the next bar...

I can't remember the name of this one rickshaw company i've seen at different city events. It's a father-son duo, and they have some very fancy machines.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are talking about the same rickshaw company I remember hearing about, then I know that they had a lot of trouble getting proper licenses from the city to operate the business. Apparently, it took years. How was your interaction with the city?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, in the cold and more wet months, how does a bike courier business sustain itself?

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben - I ran a bike messenger service downtown when I was going to WSU before heading off to law school. Glad to see others are still at it.

Ben

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spiritofdetroit- The story that I've heard about rickshaw business licensing revolves around a law school graduate I knew, who made a hobby of pestering the city council to create licensing for bike rickshaw service. He was pursuing it in parallel with two other parties. Eventually, whatever legislation was passed, just as he was moving out of town.

Our bike messenger service hasn't had much need to interact with the city bureaucracy, luckily. We don't have a storefront or anything.

Viziondetroit- We just keep on riding.. albeit with more clothing and a bitter disdain for salt trucks.

During the winter, business picks up on the legal services end, since office workers are less likely to want to deal with the weather to walk over to a court across town.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ben, good to see that you're on here! (if you couldn't guess, this is andy, BTW) not specifically bike related, but new business related...

you guys at rock dove should join the Open Detroit yahoo group and monthly seminar/round tables . they were begun by Liz Blondy [K9-5] (Blondy here on the forums) and Clair Nelson [Bureau of Urban Living]. Open Detroit is a new group devised to help Detroit based small business owners and would be Detroit based small business owners confront the issues that they frequently face. It is a place to ask questions, answer questions, and get support. I have not personally attended yet, as I have class during the meeting times, but my sister Emily [a forum member] has gone in my stead - representing our 1.5 year old company "City Bird" [http://www.ilovecitybird.com OR http://www.citybird.etsy.com]

(Message edited by andylinn on October 09, 2007)

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wideopendetroit.com /

Great idea! I have seen their "advertising" around town!

Ben

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like that group picked an unfortunate name... in any case, I've heard talk about the monthly things. Where is the yahoo group? When's the next meeting?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10406
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get uniforms and sell advertising space on them for a little extra revenue.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're kidding right? about the wide open thing?

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you need bike messengers in the summer (I am a teacher) let me know how to reach you. I have a bike, trailer and knowledge of downtown/midtown area.

Kbkav
Username: Kbkav

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The networking group's name is Open City, and the next meeting is October 16 at Cliff Bell's at 6:30.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10412
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open city is good for the community

Wide open Detroit is a blog run by a couple of douchebags that find humor in defacing property and breaking into buildings.

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open City, huh? I'd like to get on their list too. Could I hear a bit more about what's discussed at these meetings?

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the model D article http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/opencity11207.asp x that ran on Open City a few weeks back. My contact info in in the article if you want to email me.
Liz Blondy

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liz and All, sorry about the "Wide Open Detroit" "Open Detroit" confusion. I edited my post. It was 3am post paper writing confusion... please pardon.

Wideopendetroit
Username: Wideopendetroit

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that couldn't be more perfect

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben --

Best of luck -- hope things are well.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ben, welcome to the forum! Thanks for starting the topic; it fits in with some of the other bicycling solution threads up in here.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

living in LA there were a lot of cycle couriers.
they made a lot of money and got healthy same time.
even in winter you can do it, saves on parking. if i could do it as a delivery boy you can do it now. (with global warming and all).
lawyers, banks accountants, auto, all need good quick doc services.

Ben

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the positive words, Lowell and Dabirch.

Still no word on rickshaws? I was hoping to virtually meet the people I've seen on the streets.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10679
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben,

Welcome.

The father of that Pedicab duo is my old pastor from that dinky dirty brown church at Alfred and Woodward in Brush Park...across from where Temple dead-ends.

Michael Rosemond, great fellow...he kicked me OUT of his church, which turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me spiritually! Still love the fellow, especially now that he's once again merely human and not some over-churched blowhard!

He is a solid and true man, and very enthused about the city and his place in it.

I run into him occasionally, and think he might also still be working as a guard at the DIA...I need to get there to see what they've done, so I will encourage him to visit us here...or get him to you directly.

Cheers!

Ben

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Thank you for the story. I was intrigued by Mr. Rosemond's ideas for his pedicab business when I had a chance to talk with him last; we shared enthusiasm for new economies in the city.

It'd be great if you referred him to this forum.

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Detroit last year and rode in "Critical Mass" a nascent movement in the "motor city", but one enthusiastically embraced by the young people I rode with. Flat as a pancake, with incredibly wide streets, downtown Detroit is really an ideal place for bicycle transportation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.