Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » UAW sets strike deadline for Chrysler « Previous Next »
Archive through October 09, 2007Livernoisyard30 10-09-07  5:49 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

StrikeYes.com Chrysler can wait out a nice strike if needed.

(Message edited by lefty2 on October 09, 2007)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "If the UAW can do that for those guys, what can they do for me?"

The same thing they've been doing, nothing beneficial and driving the retail price up out of reach and keeping new car ownership a very expensive venture.

Quote "Instead he just resents them and says "Yeah boss, I'm your boy, I'll work 12 hours/ day for no OT pay and Sunday with no time and a half and I'll whistle while I do it!"

Those are union scare tactics. The old "they'll keep ya chained to a wall and feed you oatmeal" "You'll be lucky to survive without us" It's just nonsense. We have federal labor, EPA, OSHA and basic civil laws that do much more to protect workers than any union ever did. And with absolute power over crooked unethical companies. Instead of striking and scabs and all that wasteful activity. The fact is demand and ability dictate wages. If you want good people you have to pay for them. Menial jobs usually don't invoice much so why should a company have to pay excessive wages to get these tasks completed? Skilled labors pay more, they invoice higher and the company has to pay more for the talent to produce. So if a worker wants better pay, he learns more becomes more of an asset, produces revenues and receives a higher wage for it. I've worked around non-union shops all my life, granted we didn't have the same benefits, but we never payed dues nor had to strike because the brotherhood told us to, and most of them are still in business. They have laws they must abide by. The days of firing someone for no reason and mistreating workers are no longer. The reason some companies get by with it occasionally is due to ignorance on the employees part. I know of many instances where an employee stood a company on its ear and no labor unions were involved.

I'd like to see some realistic figures regarding the true cost of labor unions. The arbitration, 2 hour lunches, the bullshit medicals in lieu of layoffs, etc. I'll bet it's staggering.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "never ever bought any of the US-made Zenith TV sets or stereos--the last dinosaur of the failed US consumer electronics industry"

What about Curtis Mathis? LOL That had to be a strange place to work making the only american made television. Almost laughable now. I remember their ads on TV. It just goes to prove, consumers even then didn't care where it was made, or if they did they weren't going to pay the premium for it. Kudos to them for trying anyway.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4254
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Curtis Mathis pretty much die when its founder died around 25 years ago? In any event, those sets were way too expensive.

Many of those pioneer or not-quite-so-old companies exist today in name only. RCA was big not that terribly long ago. Today, it's merely a logo and "fake" brand name and part of Thomson, I believe, along with many other old-time firms.

When I entered commercial radio/TV broadcasting in 1965, RCA TK-44 series color cameras were close to the state of the art. But even then, its "green" wasn't as rich as that from the plumbicon, invented and manufactured by Phillips Norelco--a Dutch company. RCA's preeminence (almost every TV station once had them exclusively) in TV cameras soon evaporated. Phillips, BTW, also invented the cassette audio tape recording system a couple years before that.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 09, 2007)

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo is a UAW hater. All he does is complain about how much auto workers make. Nobody put a gun to these companies heads 40 years ago and told them they HAD to pay their workers $30 dollars an hr. At the time the Big 3 dominated the auto industry, so since they are struggling now they should renege on all their promises? Get real The UAW basically created the middle class, so now I suppose you're ok with its demise?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And since no one seems to be reporting it yet, The Chrysler UAW members walked at 11:00.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo,

How do you think we got all those great labor laws?! UNIONS!! Do you think any politician would have done a damn thing about any of those issues without the political power of the unions influencing them? They didn't just magically appear one day.

While I do agree that unions have bitten off a bit more than they can chew in recent years, there is no question that unions have been a good thing for middle and working class America over the years.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steeeeerike two

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The UAW apparently is staying on the job at the five plants that Chrysler already had shut down this week because of sagging sales of some models"

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071010 /auto_talks.html?.v=16

Does anyone else find that a bit humorous?

That they walk out of the plants that are making good selling cars, but keep working at the plants that make poor-selling cars, presumably to drive up inventories...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cerberus is named for the three-headed dog/beast with a tail of a snake, razor sharp teeth, and a bunch of venonous snakes sprouting from his back.

He guarded the gates of Hades from anyone leaving and was only defeated on a few occasions. One was a battle with Hercules, another was being lulled to sleep by Orpheus with a lyre and another defeat came at the hands of a drugged honey cake.

Our friends at the UAW had better read some Greeks myths and figure out that Cerubus won't be defeated by a little ol strike.

Cerberus can fold the company next week and sell off Chrysler assets for more than what they bought it. Cerberus can sell the Jeep brand to the Chinese, melt down everything else and walk away. Jeep can easily be turned into a licencing brand firm, just like Levi Jeans.

Cerberus doesn't need to make cars to make money, in fact they can make more money by not making cars, and the UAW better learn that quick.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the UAW should just cave into their demands out of sheer terror?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've looked into it and found out that in Michigan there are no basic protections for workers with regards to hours worked or break time. If an employer wants to work you 12 hours a day and make you work through breaks he can, and he doesn't have to pay you time and a half either. Don't belive me? Go to the US dept of labor website and see for yourself. The company can lay off 50% of the staff to cover executive perks and make the other 50% work 7 days / week. Yeah LY my 2002 RCA may have been assembled in Asia, but the tube was manufactured in South Carolina. That's the best I could get.

Gnome

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you bargain with someone who doesn't need you? Terror is a good word. This can be the beginning of a massive collapse of the UAW, the middle-class, the real estate market, the State of Michigan.

This is the real shit, nothing in Cerberus background indicates that they make anything than money. They just don't care about workers. We may think that is terrible, but Cerberus doesn't care about our opinion.

In other strikes, it is assumed that the company wants to stay in business, but in this instance Cerberus can shut the gates and sell off the scraps. They have no shareholders, no one to answer to.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"The UAW apparently is staying on the job at the five plants that Chrysler already had shut down this week because of sagging sales of some models"

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071010 /auto_talks.html?.v=16

Does anyone else find that a bit humorous?

That they walk out of the plants that are making good selling cars, but keep working at the plants that make poor-selling cars, presumably to drive up inventories...

Actually it makes a ton of sense. The plants are already not producing anything this week. There are minimal numbers of UAW workers there at the moment. If they went on strike they would lose their unemployment pay from the state and the make up money from UAW/Chrysler. They are doing more damage in this case by not striking at those plants.

At some point Chrysler will call those workers back from the layoff. Then the UAW will strike those plants. Why cut off a workers unemployment pay until you absolutely have to?

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what are you suggesting? The UAW cave into their demands?

That also could be the end of the UAW. A prolonged strike causes Cerebus to lose money. they dont want that. They have long stated that their intention is to rebuild Chrysler into a winner.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3585
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How do you bargain with someone who doesn't need you? Terror is a good word. This can be the beginning of a massive collapse of the UAW, the middle-class, the real estate market, the State of Michigan.

Damn good point and the collapse of the UAW had already begun years ago. They priced themselves out of the market, even long before we had free trade deals. Companies also do not like operating in an adversarial environment relating to their workers.

The Japanese are eating our lunch not because they pay so little, they actually pay decent wages. Unions do not foster an environment of teamwork with management. Their silly rules, grievances, and protecting poor workers in addition to costs makes them very unattractive to business.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"they actually pay decent wages"

Actually, Japan has national health care and therefore those costs arent absorbed into their cars like ours are.

"Unions do not foster an environment of teamwork with management."

Keep in mind that the auto companies have agreed all along with their demands. But of course its ALLLL those mean old unions fault!

But since you are ignoring me, there is more truth you wont hear.

Gnome

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitSuperfly. - Don't believe anything a three headed dog tells you.

I'm not a UAW hater, not at all, but Gettlefinger is talking with someone who he thinks wants to stay in business. Mr. G. thinks a strike will bring them to the table; no, it will give the reason Cerberus is looking for to sell off the company.

Who is going to step in and join the UAW in this strike? The teamsters, sure. But just like the Air Traffic COntrollers, other unions will look down at their shoes and not do anything. Teachers? Not likely. AFSME? please. Maybe in four months GM & Ford workers might go out on a sellective basis.

Long haul teamsters? nope.

I hope I am completely full of crap, but what if I'm not.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 242
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"no, it will give the reason Cerberus is looking for to sell off the company. "

I don't think Cerebus is that weak spined. They'll go to the table. It would take a prolonged strike in order for them to close up shop. the GM settlement proved that the UAW can be reasonable in negotiations.

I dont think you're full of crap, it will just take a LONG strike in order for your warnings to come true. Nobody wants that.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3586
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome -

I am not a UAW hater either. I worked in the auto industry for 25 years and have first hand knowledge of the labor environment. The Japanese are building cars in the US and providing good wages and benefits. The cars are high quality and are selling well, making money for everyone involved, all without a union.

By contrast, the UAW has lost over 1 million members and the companies they dominate are slowly going out of business. The results speak for themselves. Yes, management made some bonehead moves too, I am not excusing them either.

Being at war with your workers is no way to run a company and those that are clinging to this antique notion are paying a price. Any contract needs to be based on profitability and the long term viability of the company and not demands based on some artificial construct that has no basis in the reality of the market.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4256
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A prolonged strike causes Cerebus to lose money. they dont want that.

Duh! Cerberus bought Chrysler with the intention of ridding it of the UAW. To get there, they must put aside some of their earnings to pay off the legacy costs and institute a sensible means of line labor.

And no, Virginia, retaining the UAW in its present form is not sensible.

Cerberus, being private, has much more flexibility in handling a strike than Ford or GM. Their pockets might even be deep enough to survive losing an entire model year. But, even then, that shouldn't be necessary: they would hire new workers and adopt a Honda/Toyota workforce much like as in the US already. Pretty much like Reagan did when he broke PATCO in 1981.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually teamsters are not apart of AFL CIO anymore, so I doubt they would join the UAW dominated afl cio.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cerberus bought Chrysler with the intention of ridding it of the UAW."

Proof please! Or would providing proof be too traumatizing for you?

"And no, Virginia, retaining the UAW in its present form is not sensible. "

Did you even read the GM settlement?

"Cerberus, being private, has much more flexibility in handling a strike than Ford or GM"

their business is to MAKE money, not to lose it. They have no financial benefit to riding out a long strike. Even if they have the cash reserves to do so. That would be incredibly STUPID business. I dont think Cerebus are stupid in any sense of the word.

"they would hire new workers and adopt a Honda/Toyota workforce much like as in the US already"

You think that would be good for Michigan? America? Yeah, screw the workers. The only peopel who have a right to make the most from their labor is the wealthy, right? You must really hate free market economics where workers have the right to negotiate in their best interests for the best payoff for their labor.

BTW- Japanese companies are beginning to bypass the US for new plants in favor of Canada because of the high cost of health insurance in the states.

Pretty much everything the auto companies complain about with UAW labor revolves around health care coverage for current employees and retirees. Are you advocating national health care? That would be an EXCELLENT solution.

(Message edited by detroitsuperfly on October 10, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4258
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cerberus more than likely bought Chrysler with the expectation of reducing its cost structure so that it could be resold at a huge profit to another Daimler-like auto firm. To that end, ridding itself of much or all of its current UAW workforce is almost a necessity.

There's nothing to halt Cerberus from hiring new workers (outside of any short-term federal regulations and contractual restrictions). Apparently, some at DY must be so foolish to believe that Cerberus must retain the UAW. Their contracts with the UAW are essentially over, at present.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, their major claim was that they seek to restore profitability. But, I can see that you can't prove your claims that their intent was to rid themselves of the UAW. You may as well be telling fairy tales if you cant support your wild assumptions.

"There's nothing to halt Cerberus from hiring new workers"

Why on earth would they do that? That is absurd! That would be the dumbest and most illogical business decision they could make; firing their entire workforce and retraining new workers in their entirety. Do you have any idea of the time and money that would cost? Of course not, otherwise you wouldnt have made such a ridiculous comment.

Gnome

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pray I am full of crap.

I don't understand the weak spined comment. Cerberus has a spine of steel, deeeep pockets, nothing to lose and a real f-you attitude.

But the question I'd like an answer to: how do you bargain with someone who doesn't want to stay in business?

Think Levi Jeans, they don't even make jeans anymore. Not in the US, not overseas. What they do is licence their brand to other companies that make jeans. Levi is a branding company and is making more money now than anytime in their history.

Jeeps have been made in China for 20 plus years, a couple of million in upgrades and your next Wrangler is 4 grand cheaper and sold through Wal-mart.

Chrysler Dealership network ... poof! gone.

This is what over-the-barrel looks like in the beginning. Thousands of energized hourly workers marching and walking and shouting and rallying. Then it starts getting cold, the burner barrels come out, a rotation of strikers warm their hands over the open flames and fewer cars honk as they speed past. Christmas goodwill fades into January grey, winter tax bills come due ...

The way to get Cerberus is through the threat of some high-powered government pressure, and with the current team at 1600 Penn Ave. that isn't going to happen.

Gettlefinger is an analog guy in a digital world, and we are all going to get a gloved digit between the backpockets.

Relax, this won't hurt a bit.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ly, you are sadly mistaken if you think that Chrysler can scrap the union just because the contract has expired. This is not the case. They could hire replacement workers, but they would be required by law to continue to negotiate with the UAW (in good faith) and they would be precluded from firing the striking workers until the negotiations had concluded (even then they'd probably have to offer the striking workers positions ostensibly at reduced wages).

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What they do is licence their brand to other companies that make jeans. Levi is a branding company and is making more money now than anytime in their history"

With quality and sales WAAAAY down. BTW- those "greedy" unions wages that Levis workers were making in Southern California was $12 an hour. Now Levis are making money because they are paying Chinese laborers around $900 a year. With or without unions, Americans cannot compete with 3rd world labor.

"
Jeeps have been made in China for 20 plus years"

The ones made in China are sold in China. The ones sold in the US are made in Toledo.

"Christmas goodwill fades into January grey, winter tax bills come due ... "

LOL! The GM strike lasted 2 days!

Like I said, retraining an entire workforce would cost more money and time than settling with the current one. Relax, this isnt doomsday.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4259
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That would be the dumbest and most illogical business decision they could make; firing their entire workforce and retraining new workers in their entirety. Do you have any idea of the time and money that would cost?

DS, you're delusional! Just what part(s) of the term unskilled labor don't you understand the meaning of???

As to the necessary training time: for those "jobs" that my two adopted strays might be able to perform--probably a couple days, at the very most.

Over the years, I did some jobs in Tier plants where only a few minutes of "training" per job function was more than sufficient. Assembly-line jobs are much the same--simple, repetitive tasks that don't require much, if any, education or exceptional work skills

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you're going to take anyone off the streets, with no training, put them on the line and hope everything runs smoothly? How about the union labor that sets up dies? Stamping?

yeah, they'll eventually figure it out! LMFAO!

But not only that, the process of finding those people, interviewing them, weeding them out, hiring, putting them in your system, etc...

You haven't got a freaking clue. Besides, they are required by law to continue negotiations even if they hire replacements.

Stick to things you understand and leave the important discussions to the adults, mmmmkay?

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eljimbo wrote: :How do you think we got all those great labor laws?! UNIONS!
Thats a possibility, but remember people are collecting millions of dollars because there is a fly in their chili too. We live in a "victim" mentality society. So it's safe to say labor laws would exist without UNIONS.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4260
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Continuing negotiations doesn't mean caving to the UAW...

Cerberus could hire replacements and eventually many of all of those replacements might become de facto full-time workers until the time that the federal work regulations concerning strikers don't apply any longer for a prolonged strike.

At some point, Cerberus puts the jobs of the UAW workers at risk, via ultimatums, and poof, no more continued UAW workers outside of those who returned. Ask those PATCO workers from 1981, if they thought that they couldn't be fired from the air-traffic controller jobs--jobs far more difficult than any UAW factory job...

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Continuing negotiations doesn't mean caving to the UAW..."

I never said it did, pally! However, your wild idea that they can simply hire new workers is a twisted fantasy.

But of course, your entire argument is based on assumptions and a worst case scenario that you demand is the only version of reality.

Gnome

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DS-

I agree Levis are now crap but they sell more and more of those crappy jeans than ever before.

Was it good for America? No, but no one complained. Who in America is going to complain when Chrysler goes away. The same folks that didn't complain when Levis got cheaper? nope.

This same story happened to the steel industry, the textile industry, the electronic industry. The pundits will chauk it up to "Global Competition", and we will be held holding the bag.

No one will cry except a few folks in Detroit and we all know how much sympathy we get around the country.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome- yeah, thats a grim picture you paint. But its very true.

Its greed, plain and simple. Greed from every level. Hyper capitalism. Its poison!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Duh! Cerberus bought Chrysler with the intention of ridding it of the UAW.

Interesting theory, but I'm not sure it's all that likely to happen. However, it is a much more likely scenario than Cerberus letting a strike go on indefinitely and letting the company go under. If it got to that desperate point, there'd be no reason for them to not at least try breaking the union. Also, a company like Cerberus is much more likely to try something like this than GM or Ford.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4262
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether Cerberus uses the nuclear option or not is the Sword of Damocles that Gettelfinger has to consider if the strike goes on for long. That'll compel more UAW concessions and, perhaps, dumping the Jobs Bank for Cerberus.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4267
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been leaks from Forbes and others that the strike was tentatively settled around 4 PM. But they didn't wanted to get ahead of Gettelfinger's announcement.

Gnome

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 5:30 WJR is reporting that they've reached a deal.

That is good news and I am full of crap, thank god :-)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The UAW needs to get ahold of it's members and tell them to stop making stupid comments to the press. Heard a guy on the radio make the following comment about Nardelli, "We got a guy running Chrysler who was at Home Depot selling Hammers and screwdrivers." Someone needs to remind these people that they're all on the same team, I don't think they get it.

Based on the comments that I've heard from UAW members during the last two walkouts the less they say in front of a microphone the better off they'll be.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the sky isn't falling after all

http://detroitnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071010/U PDATE/710100457

UAW, Chrysler reach tentative agreement

Livernoisyard's wet dream of the nuclear option that ends the UAW will have to be saved for his alone time.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4271
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure? The threat of doing something is just as good as using it. I alluded to that, but DS conveniently chose not to have noticed. Pity for such DPS grads.

Cerberus must have gotten much of what they wanted because they hold all the high trump cards.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The threat of doing something is just as good as using it."

Cerberus never threatened anything. You made that up in your own mind.

"Pity for such DPS grads"

Nope, I'm a product of Lutheran schools. Nice try though. But wrong again as usual.

"Cerberus must have gotten much of what they wanted because they hold all the high trump cards."

You know this, cause you have all the facts, right? LOL!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4273
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty obvious. What could the UAW have over Cerberus?

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY, I've had enough of your wild opinions. You haven't gone one right today. So pardon me if I don't take your word for it, I'll wait for the FACTS. Mmmmkay?

Gnome

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get the "Chicken-Little" award for the day, so if you see anyone walking around in a chicken costume today, stop by and say, "Hi Gnome, you were really wrong."

If its not me inside, you might get a mouthful of feathers, but it'll be worth it.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually don't like doing this, but I think just this once I will anyway...

Damn I love being right!! I told all of you yesterday that this strike was nothing more than a dog and pony show designed to make it look like the union put up a fight against the concessions. This way, the rank and file will feel like they got the best deal they could get considering the circumstances and they will approve it.

I have another prediction. There will be a short strike against Ford as well.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo: I totally agree. I think the union leaders are trying to justify their existence and show that they earn their union dues. Since the news reported that everyone walked away from the table the minute the strike started, it's pretty curious that an agreement was reached a few hours later.

RJK: I also agree with you. They should stick to having the union reps at the microphone.

Gnome

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gnome

El_jimbo

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

HAHAHA! Thank you!! My ego has been thoroughly stroked. I can now go back to my normally humble self.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to say it, but many of you need to learn the law in regards to unions and contracts. There is a lot of bad information being posted here in regards to what can and can't be done.

BTW, Cincinnati_kid, a contract is not a life long promise.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.