Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Message for DPS Teachers, Board Employees: « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would any of you happen to know if the Board has already liqiudated/auctioned off the contents of Mackenzie, Redford, and/or Murray-Wright; might the Board have announced plans for such an event?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 820
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally the Board sends a memo to all of the chief building engineers when they are ready to liquidate each closed building. As long as you have a copy of the letter and a Board ID, you can pretty much take whatever you want. As far as I know, the general public isn't invited.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the buildings themselves? Will they just sit there for a couple of decades and Slumpy themselves?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count on it.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 589
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS has made many of the closed school buildings available for lease.

http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/a dmin/bs/bss/fm/properties/Vaca ntDPSBuildingsAvailableforLeas e.pdf

In the past several years a good number of surplus buildings have been sold. The Nellie Leland School (Leland Lofts), Schools Center Bldg. (Wayne State), Willis Warehouse (Willys Overland Lofts) come to my mind.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 821
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget 55 W. Canfield.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am quite literally developing a Mackenzie High School Museum in my classroom down here in Kettering, Ohio. Just wondering if there is anyone I might contact with regard to archiving printed materials (student newspapers/yearbooks) from the school.

I cannot bear the thought of those items being dumpstered at some point.

(Message edited by chuckjav on October 06, 2007)

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^
I know a guy who is developing a Kettering High School Museum in his classroom in MacKenzie, Ohio. Weird.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck, I'd be glad to send you my July 1954 Stag, and also a copy of our 2004 50th year reunion. Just let me know if you want it. I'm sure they'd just go in the dumpster when I check out.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can any of the high school teachers share with us the DPS game plan (such as it is) for absorbing into existing schools, the students affected by closure of Mackenzie, Redford, and Murray-Wright.

I was looking at the new boundaries but, without the old ones as reference, I am not able to make much sense of things.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 822
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/a dmin/bs/bss/fm/DPSFinalRealign mentFlowDiagrams.pdf

Chuckjav

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed...thanks for the information. I am glad to see that DPS actually implemented a suggestion that I had pondered: instead of closing a high school, convert it to a 7-12 facility (Chadsey).
I wish DPS could have done likewise with Mackenzie.

Perhaps that plan will be implemented at Mackenzie in 2009 or 2010.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northern High School has also closed. The building is now occupied by the Detroit International Academy, an all girls facility, which was previously down the street from Northern. It is currently 9-12, but will be 7-12 next school year.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: As it stands, most of the high schools are closed to new enrollment. We are just overcrowded. We were taking anyone who walked through the door, as were other schools. It really doesn't matter where you live, if you live in Detroit, any school will accept the kids. There are boundaries that are supposed to be followed, but the unwritten rule is "take anyone".

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

our thieves at work ripping taxpayers off, hurray!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher....a very sad state of affairs.

DPS and others realized that enrollment figures had fallen to 117,000 - a level not seen since since the 1920s. This presented an obvious problem: too many buildings and not enough students.

Thing is: the complete opposite was true in the 1920s - and - the urban sprawl was only just beginning at that time (aggressive annexation, expansion of public transit...etc.).
Build more subdivisions, more schools, add transit routes - problem solved.

Fast-forward ahead, eighty years later, Detroit is a mere shell of its former self; we have students traveling relatively greater distances to attend unfamiliar schools in unfamiliar places with the result being overcrowded schools and agitated students/faculty. Sadly, a great number of shuttered facilities makes everything all the more frustrating.

Bottom Line: closing schools was not the best answer to the problem....making better use of all schools would seem to be the best idea.

Something else that DPS could have done to make better use of Mackenzie, Redford, Murray-Wright, and Northern: turn them into high school/junior colleges....free tuition.

Something that was being done at old Detroit Central High School nearly 100 years ago.

PS I reckon this is why knowing history is so important.

Eastside_man
Username: Eastside_man

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying to find a teacher who tought at Robinson Elementary School in the early 60's His name is Howard Lutz. PLEASE HELP..........

Chuckjav

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS Teachers & Administrators:

A few questions.....

Does DPS have a DPSSAL Hall of Fame; if so, where? Is there an official custodian of DPSSAL athletic records?

Does DPS Have any sort of in-house museum/archive of school publications/photographs?

(Message edited by chuckjav on October 16, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 830
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav,
The answer, unfortunately, to all of your questions is no.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick....thanks for the information; I had a bad feeling the answer would be as it was.

Back in 2002, I attempted to contact the Director of DPSSAL - all I got was voicemail and never a reply.

I have a bad feeling that Detroit's storied interscholastic athletic legacy, particularly pre-1975, may be lost forever.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact the school's alumni association. Usually this can be found on classmates.com or by calling downtown for the alumni association's contact info (this may or may not gain you some info since it all depends on who answers the phones). They may have insight into where things are from the school.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher....thanks for the tip.

PS I've yet to hear from CHS regarding car flag; reckon you could holler at someone for me?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know they sold out and are ordering more. I just don't know when they will come in. When I find out, I'll get one and we can work out a deal.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 804
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav,

Just surfing the web I found this:

http://www.mhsaa.com/games/spo rts/bbb/psl.pdf

but it might not be exactly what you're looking for (or you might already have it). Can you make it to a Wayne State library or DPL and search microfilm for old photos/articles in case the alumni contacts don't work out?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher....Big-thanks, I will stay tuned:
charlie.greene@ketteringschool s.org
(there should not be a space between l and s in schools; can't figure why my keyboard is doing that)

Alsodave....Big-thanks, I've seen that article; some very good information. Excellent suggestions regarding alumni associations, WSU and DPL; I may be coming up on November 02 for some investigating.

Hard to believe...yet true...that I can't call DPS Athletic Director and ask "Can you tell me the DPSSAL record for most points scored in a football game; what is record for the boy's 100 yard backstroke...or girl's high jump?"

Pretty sad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.