Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Winter wonderland skating rink « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite things to do when I was in grade school and high school was to go ice skating at a rink named winter wonderland in Detroit. I think it was located on Fenkell or Schoolcraft, perhaps around Southfield? We would go on Saturdays, from open to 3-4 PM, taking a break when they shoveled the ice. I remember they sold hot dogs, hot chocolate, candy there....At first it was an outside rink (I remember they had some kind of netting they would pull over the ice when it snowed) and then later, in high school it became an indoor rink. Anyone else go there?

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the outdoor skating that used to be in Hart Plaza, on the lower level? I know I went there at least twice in the mid-Eighties. I was wondering how long they even had that?

9936sussex

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I used to work downtown, I would skate at that Hart Plaza rink on my lunch hour (brought my own skates). I don't remember it being too crowded or that it lasted for many years. Of course, that was eons ago, and my memory may be faulty!!

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sussex,

Is that your address? I grew up at 11372 Sussex.

9936sussex

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sbradke: it is my old address on Sussex. I lived between Elmira and Orangelawn. Actually our house was 6 houses off the corner of Orangelawn and Sussex. Was 11372 between Elmira and Plymouth?

Sbradke

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, in the middle of that block. When did you live there?

9936sussex

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sbradke: My parents bought our house new (post WWII) and lived there until 1969. I went to George Ford for elementary and jr. high. Did you ?

Sbradke

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I went to George Ford too, just for elementary school. We moved into the neighborhood in 1968 when I was three and stuck it out until 1981.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Winter Wonderland building is on Schoolcraft between Greenfield and Southfeld. The place is now a roller rink.
I still remember hearing "Sherry" by the Four Seasons while skating outdoors in snowy weather. Loved skating with girls there.
Old Red Wing Bill Gatsby used to hang out there quite a bit.
The indoor rink was pretty state-of-art when it first opened.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Setlocks lived on Sussex back in those days.

9936sussex

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall: I remember thinking that it was just the coolest thing to be skating outside to the music there...I never liked the indoor rink as much as the outdoor one.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only really better thing inside was the ice Zamboni. I believe they didn't have the big one until they remodeled the place.
Do you remember Bunzie?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Winterwonderlanders...I saw the mention of George Ford - had to chime in. After determining that Drew Junior High was a threat to my continued survival on planet earth, I attended George Ford (1970 through '71); Brooks Junior High for 9th grade (1971-72).

Very nice area, very good people.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex....Over the years, I have talked with a few individuals who lived in your neighborhood during the 1960s; I have always wondered why they attended Mackenzie instead of Cody - seems off balance. Was it a family tradition...or was it mandated by the Board of Education, with Greenfield being the borderline?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Cooley High.

Johns
Username: Johns

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winter Wonderland - Home rink to the Junior B Myr Sheet Metal team in the late sixties and early seventies. This was during the period when the Junior Red Wings played at Olympia. The team is long gone, but it appears Myr Sheet Metal is still in existence, off I-94 west of the airport.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winter Wonderland was on Schoolcraft between Greenfield and Southfield, just south of the Grandmont neighborhood. It is now a roller rink named Skateland.

9936sussex

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav: As far as I remember, the boundary had always been Greenfield, but I do think it was changed after we moved (which would have been after 1969). I'm thinking it was moved east to Schaefer, but I may be mistaken.

9936sussex

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about this last post....I put it in the wrong thread.

9936sussex

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall: Who is Bunzie? I don't recognize the name.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He lived over on the street where Cadillac grade school is. He terrorized the neighborhood with his motorcycle and was killed after hitting a tree in Kensington Park in the 60's.
I remember he got in a fight with Stan Shipp by the playground one night.
I was by Cadillac a few years ago taking photos of the overgrown ball field and neighbors thought I was from a news organization.
My old school MOS (on Greenfield) is some other church organization now.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bunzie's last name was Boyd.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our son played hockey at Winter Wonderland in the 1960s. He was a mite (approx. age 7/8), then a squirt (9/10). It was a nice place with friendly staff, good snack bar, knowledgable coaches.

Expat
Username: Expat

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Winter Wonderland. It was on the south side of Schoolcraft between Grandmont and Abington (I lived on Abington off Glendale, a short two plus blocks away). I more or less lived there as a kid, both when it was an outdoor rink and then indoor: little-league hockey practice, Friday night skating (the invariably anxiety-inducing "Gentlemen's Choice" and "Ladies' Choice"--which was worse?), etc.

About Bill Gatsby, he rented a house on Memorial. His daughter Brenda attended those Friday night skates. She was my first love (very much from afar).

Before the rink was enclosed, it turned into a garden shop during the summer.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Expat, did you know the Maydays on Abington?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Old Red Wing Bill Gatsby used to hang out there quite a bit."

Bill Gadsby was a Wings defensemen from 1961-66. I'm not normally the spelling police, but just wanted to correct his name in case someone is interested in finding information about old number 4 "Gads".

"About Bill Gatsby, he rented a house on Memorial. His daughter Brenda attended those Friday night skates. She was my first love (very much from afar)."

When did Bill Gadsby live around there ? My guess is 1961-63 era. I know he played for the Wings from 1961-66. Must have been nice not having to drive 45 minutes on the way home after a game at Olympia.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up nearby and played many a hockey game at Winter Wonderland. As a teenager, I had a part time job driving the Zamboni.

Winter Wonderland was one of the few privately owned skating rinks. (Gordie Howe Hockeyland in St. Clair Shores was another.) Eventually, there was an explosion of municipally built rinks throughout the area.

Expat
Username: Expat

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Bill Gadsby living on Memorial, I would guess later--say, '65-'66.

Paulmcall: the "Maydays" rings a very dim bell. The name sounds familiar but I can't recall them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.