Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit-area ad agencies « Previous Next »
Archive through October 08, 2007Andysrc30 10-08-07  8:23 am
Archive through October 12, 2007Patrick30 10-12-07  1:27 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. On my job we have to complete 12 ads per day. I usually have my 12 by lunchtime and can then stop my production and cruise internet sites like...like...like DetroitYes! and whatreallyhappened.com.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12 ads a day? 12 ads a month is more like it. And those 12 are divide by 6 writer/art director teams.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who can make 12 ads before noon? what kind of ads? The Ed ... think yous got some 'splainin to do.

The_ed

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the work we receive are reprints with minor changes. Some of them require extensive adjustments to body copy and photos. For an old pro like myself the most difficult part is staying awake. It isn't hard to do, it just has to be done. I've got 34 years here with experience & seniority up the wazoo. To me it's easy. Can you say "shortcuts" ?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well heck, if you want to include pick-ups and text changes and things like that... I've done over 50 ads before noon. BAM!

The_ed

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OUCH! Not so hard. I'm trying to sharpen a deep water haplochromis! You should work here. They might make you management.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of you who have not heard the song "Make The Logo Bigger" by some band called "Burnback" are truly missing out.

http://www.myspace.com/burnbac k

Check it out in there song section. Good industry laugh.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the latest news on the Chevy retail account leaving Campbell Ewald? Where is the account going?

Detsterdale
Username: Detsterdale

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No confirmation if Chevy is ditching CE...unless you know something I don't! It'll probably end up at McCann since they lost Buick.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

harpernottingham...i am an ex cw who knows how to spell. i was actually a proofreader after that job.

and i've heard that make the logo bigger song...i hear it at least once a week at work. hilarious but all too true. someone in my office actually created a list of '10 commandments for a successful ad' based on that song. which is also hilarious, but unfortunately all too true as well...

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome:

"Otherwise I never would have heard of the
most painful law-firm in the city:
Harness, Dickie and Pierce."

What do you mean by that? I used to work at HD&P - just curious? Do you have experience with that firm?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6120
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, if I can speak for Gnome here, the comments have nothing to do with what the law firm does or its clientele. The name of the firm does sound like something you would see on a list of specialty items at the local tattoo & piercing parlor.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy - I had to laugh out loud at your explanation!

"The name of the firm does sound like something you would see on a list of specialty items at the local tattoo & piercing parlor."

That's too funny! I never thought of it that way. Maybe 'cause they signed my check??

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6123
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they signed my check, I wouldn't complain either!

I had a feeling you were probably too close to the fire to see/ hear it the way we outsiders hear that name. Again, I'm sure they're fine upstanding folks but the name's tricky.

Gnome

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx smogboy

Earie Dearie, now you can introduce yourself as a former member with Harness Dickie and Pierced.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3098
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Law offices of Weiner & Cox is another humorously named local law firm, when mispronounced.

http://www.weinercox.com

The_ed

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dewey, Cheatam & Howe
Curly, Larry & Moe residing

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 375
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE: BBDO sex scandal...

Good story, Spacemonkey, but someone stretched the details for you.

The offenders were discovered in an office by an admin who was to prep the room for a client meeting. Neither were fired, but they moved on to the same place and picked up where they left off. She was ethnic and he was whitebread. She, by the way, was nothing special to look at.

God help the guys at CE if Chevy bails. McCann still has GM corp & Delphi, meaning the 10 remaining staffers don't have the capacity to handle much of Chevy. If Chevy goes they're going out of town.

Long live the Ross Roy underground! The Roy will rise again!.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a sense of humor you guys have! Yeah, I was too close to think about how the name sounded. I heard it just about every day for over 27 years. And 20 of those years were before I worked there!

One of the attorneys named his yacht "Unharnessed" - legend has it that when Mr. Harness heard about it he was offended. I guess now that I am a former employee I could call myself "Unpierced" as opposed to "Undickied".

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the Chevy account will go out of state. That'd be interesting.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not? Caddy did.

Detsterdale
Username: Detsterdale

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a strong possibility Chevy would go out of state. It's such a huge account for CE though. It would definitely cripple the workers in the ad business here. Caddy went to Modernista in Boston though I haven't heard a lot of good things about Modernista since they were awarded the account.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeep media creative went to some agency out west from BBDO-Detroit. I forget which agency.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5067
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked for a larger agency in metro Detroit. I don’t want to say the name but people left this place left and right. It was like a revolving door for new hires. The owner was a cheap fucker. Fucker had the worst Michigan accent too. Squeeze your nose and you’ll sound just like him. Here are a few stories…..

-Owner goes ballistic when he sees a paperclip in the garbage can. I mean, ballistic!

-Screamed at me because I didn’t put enough scoops in the coffee maker. Called me all sorts of names and then went on to call me a huge bullshitter and so on.

-Went ballistic when the maintenance man forgot to fill one soap dispenser in the bathroom.

-When people wanted even a pad of paper or supplies you had to have someone open up a locked supply closet way down the hall to get it. Yes, even if you wanted a fucking pen!

-The guy screamed and berated the whole creative floor one day. I don’t know if they lost an account or what but he was going up and down the aisles looking for targets.

Driving him back fro the airport he was saying all sorts of shit to me about Arabs nd how Israel will do this and Israel will do that (yeah, he was Jewish). He didn’t realize that I have Lebanese blood in me so I just sat there and cringed. You’d be surprised what these fucks get away with. I would be surprised if the heads of some of the agencies make a mil or more a year.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like the stories I've heard about Mars advertising.

That firm's reputation is so bad, it's the only agency in town I've never applied to. No way.

Recruiters have called to tell me about an opening at Mars and I've plain turned them down.(Even one time when I was laid off and out of work). Life's too short to work in that kind of environment.

Gnome

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Jim Berline to me.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There met a guy last night who said he works at an ad agency here in Detroit but used to work at Y&B Brands or something like that. I told him about this DetroitYes thread but he declined to come here. He said that they are just a bunch of crooks but his girlfriend arrived and they went off to their dinner reservation before he could say more. Anyone here work at Y&B Brands? lol

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y&R....Young and Rubican. Is anybody watching "Mad Men", the TV series about the advertising business in the 60's? It's great!!

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on October 20, 2007)

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3044
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question to those still in the business.

I read all about the different agencies, and get a bit of a history lesson from a friend of mine that used to work on the video end.

The thing that I'm curious about is what's the word on the video houses in town. He's not to big on talking about them, and I'm just curious about what happened over the past 10 years or so.

Downsized? Closed? Change in management making work unbearable?

Gnome

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCP, chcickens came home and roosted.

PSC gone
Image Express gone
jam handy Long gone
Maritz gone
Boulevard Photo gone
DGM studios gone

Agencies have folded that did work for companies and industries that used to be here. Highland Appliance, Fretter, Perry, Manufactures Bank, Standard Fed, Arbor, Franks Nursery, Hudsons, Kmart ...

the pie got smaller

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doner uses a couple in Southfield and Oak Park, the names of which are escaping me...but one is right on Civic Center, another on Northwestern just north of 9, and another on Northend (8 1/2) in Oak Park. Can't remember any of the names, lol, but the one in Oak Park was rather swanky.

Gnome

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gtn is on northend, the one on northwester is postique (owned by Grace & Wild) and the one on civic center is their own place called firelight (I think)

Mcp001

Post Number: 3046
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx, Gnome.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that Mad Men is pretty good and accurate, if a bit over the top in exaggerating the ad lifestyle, but I have not seen it yet. I'd like to.

I've never heard a thing about a Jim Berline, nor met anyone who's worked there. What do they do? What accounts do they have?

Craig

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: video

Watch yourself, Robin. Broadcast is withering. It still gets the money and the girls, but the networks have not delivered the big numbers for a long time. Read between the lines on the last few upfronts and you'll see why CRM and third-screen will dance on its grave.

Gnome

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

craig, care to translate that for the rest of us mere mortals? and who's Robin?

Mcp001

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe in a few decades.

Right now, the numbers don't support third-screen expanding the way the higher-ups think it will.

And that'll also depend on how the next generation responds to it.

Craig

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome - "Robin" is a batman reference.

"Upfront" or "up front" is when the TV networks auction big blocks of ad time in the fall (i.e. 'up front' in the broadcast season). From what I read it has been much harder for the networks to command high prices, and the pundits attribute this to declining TV viewership and fragmentation of the audience (i.e. viewers spread across many, many networks vs. ABC, CBS & NBC as in days of old).

Marketers are getting what they want via searchable media (e.g. internet, mobile phones, etc.) because that is where we are now found (who watches TV on their lunch break anymore?).

TV is becoming what radio is now: a ragged shadow of what it once was. Ad dollars are fleeing TV, and the moguls of tomorrow will be black-clad coders & creatives, not the suit-wearing titans of today.

Just my observation & thought

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you are correct, sir. I am a black-clad creative.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3236
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey, could you add a starburst to that? I don't think it pops enough.

And make the logo bigger.

Breezey
Username: Breezey

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally had to sign up so I could post on this subject. I used to work at Doner, now I'm at BBDO.

Universal Images is on Civic Center and Doner's post production house is called Multi Image.

I don't have any great stories except for once showing up at a Pistons game, drunk, with company tickets...only to find out I was seated next to Alan Kalter, Doner's CEO. A little awkward.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnLodge,

I'm going to put more sizzle into my posts and more bells and whistles.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.