Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Mack-E. Grand Blvd neighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am exploring various neighborhoods around the city and I am looking for information on the area around Mack & E. Grand Blvd. I know that in recent years, the area below Mack is being referred to as "Islandview," but, I am curious about the area north of Mack.

Actually, I would like to find out about that whole area above Mack from about Mt. Elliott east to around St. Jean on the edge of the Conner Creek Industrial section. I would also like to know about the area below Mack once you get east of Indian Village. I've seen names such as "Mack-Bewick," which I assume would incorporate that eastern portion of this section. I also know that the "Harper-Van Dyke" name would probably cover the area farther north, maybe above Warren. But what other neighborhood names are used in that area besides the ones I mentioned, and what would you consider to be some boundaries for those neighborhoods?

I can't find any maps that show neighborhoods in that part of the city, so if anyone knows of a source, I'd be interested.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indian Village..., English Village...

By the way, there is one site that gives a brief detail along with the name of the neighborhoods in Detroit. I'm sure your fellow DYer's will provide you with them as I'm pressed for time.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be here:

http://www.detroitrising.com/p rofiles.htm

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Eric_c and Eastsidedog...

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area north of Mack Avenue is way too ghetto for this Islandview Villager!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c, I hope you thoroughly washed all the plaster dust off your hands before you touched your keyboard! :-)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I do have a day-job, too, Neil!

You need to stop by!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is too ghetto for eric_c then I suggest you stay clear.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 891
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few quick pics of the area described above, taken over the months:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_88 91.jpg?t=1191531750
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_75 80.jpg?t=1191532046
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_75 74.jpg?t=1191532107
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_75 66.jpg?t=1191532320
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_53 78.jpg?t=1191532564
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup042307014.jpg?t=1191533048
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_30 85.jpg?t=1191533164
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_30 82.jpg?t=1191533264
I have tons more that I can post if you wish.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I would also like to know about the area below Mack once you get east of Indian Village."

This is where I lived as a young kid, on Fairview at Vernor. Southeastern High School was just up the street. I remember walking down to Vernor to get ice cream or pop at the store near the corner. The neighborhood started to change for the worse in the early '60s: crime went way up. It's pretty decimated over there now, but amazingly enough, my old house (two-family flat) is still there, and occupied.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullmagnet thanks for the photos. I am retiring next year, and have thought about taking a week or two and just taking photos of the old houses, the details, before more of them are torn down. My great-great grandparents lived several places from the Eastern Market area along Mack to the Mt. Elliott area, my great-grandparents lived near Mack and Grand Blvd., and my grandparents a bit further east. Those old houses on the eastside are a tribute to a great people, when Detroit was the "Paris of the Midwest." I relally appreciate that someone is documenting them with photos.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to teach at Barbour a few years back that neighborhood has some real character and history to it. I know the current area well as I drive through there daily on my way to work. But I do not have to much historical information other then it has followed the same pattern of decline as the rest of the city. As you know there is some new infill housing in the area, which I find very interesting in itself. There were a couple old photos of Pingree Park posted on the forum months ago.

Fury13: Did you attend Barbour?

Kville

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for some of the references so far. The detroitrising website is helpful for other neighborhoods that I am also exploring. I have found several similar sites that highlight the more "popular" neighborhoods. This east side area is one I had cruised extensively when I was younger, having had family members live in that section. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, it has declined and many of the old homes & buildings are either gone or trashed. But so far, along with other similar neighborhoods around the city, I haven't found much information on the history of those areas and what the neighborhoods were called. If anyone can offer other help, I'd appreciate it.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yelloweyes, no, my family moved from Fairview in Detroit to St. Clair Shores just before I entered kindergarten.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neighborhoods north of Mack on the near east side are mostly in rough shape, but there are exceptions, such as the Pingree Park area just north of Indian Village. If you drive Seminole, Seneca, Iroquois or Burns north of Mack, the modest sized houses are pretty nearly all intact with very few vacant lots. Contrast this with the area south of Mack but east of Indian Village, which is mostly a wasteland of vacant lots (formed through the usual gradual process of homes burning down one by one over the last 40 years).

I'm not sure exactly why this Pingree Park area has held up so well, maybe the street name association with Indian Village, and probably the park itself and nearby school were good amenities. Plus the St. Augustine/Monica church in that area has a strong community presence.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2392
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw, many of the homes in the Pingree Park area have had homeowners who have lived in their homes for 30 plus years. I grew up north of Mack on Townsend. My parents and six other neighbors have been in their homes for over 30 years. The homes no longer standing on this side of the eastside were probably rentals before they were neglected, trashed, or demolished.

Growing up in this area, I remember the typical pattern of a home's destruction: the long time owner would move and rent the house out; the renters would leave; the house would be vacant; the scavengers would come in and strip the house of aluminum siding, door and window fixtures, bricks, and most recently copper; the house would mysteriously catch on fire beyond repair; and the city would come out and tear it down.

This chain of events is the reason why I think the city should have passed and ordinance in some areas of the city that said that a house in that area had to be sold by the owner and not rented out. By forcing the home owner to sell the house, the house would most likely be maintained by the new home owner. Fewer house rentals would have definitely slowed down the decline of the neighborhoods here in Detroit.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2409
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kville, have you given up on your research?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wish the best. good luck with that NH lol

Kville

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce - Haven't given up the research. Since I'm not getting much response here, I've started looking for information elsewhere. I had created a couple of other forums about other neighborhoods similar to this; but there again, I don't get much response on this site - just some passing interest and a few comments from people.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6672
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack-E. Grand Blvd neighborhood.

Once a Polish, German, Italian and Chaldean community now a black and blighted, low-income ghettohood filled with DEAD (C) KRAK HEADS, po'folks and spookies.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.