Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Pipe Shops « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many of you have any recollection of pipe shops in Detroit? At one time there were quite a few of them downtown.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only Hill & Hill in the area now on Mack.
Just broke into my new batch of Hay Market.
mmmmmmmmmmm

Was a shop off of 10 and the Lodge, but they shut down a couple years ago...

(Message edited by krawlspace on October 03, 2007)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 729
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Churchill's.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does "The Station" count?

(Of course not. Heheheh.)

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plenty of gas stations will sell you loosies if you just ask... then again, maybe that's not what you're after

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in Detroit but there is a great tobacco shop located at the NE corner of Grange Hall Road and North Holly Road in Holly. The odor is unbelievable. Water pipes too.

Pharmer_b
Username: Pharmer_b

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastland Mall had a shop called The Tinderbox in the seventies.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 60's there were at least four pipe shops in downtown Detroit. LaFond's was on Cadillac Sq. just west of Bates. Watson's Pipe Shop was in the David Whitney Bldg. and there were a couple of others on Lafayette. A man named Lafond had a pipe repair shop on Broadway, I think it was in the same building as Lafayette Radio. He made pipes as well as doing repairs. There was a place out on Northwestern and it may have been, Humidor One. The man had an inventory of pipes which was astounding.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about some head shops

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malaga Briar Pipe, Co. off 11 Mile in Royal Oak. They were renowned for their oil-cured and very dry-smoking pipes. I had a friend who used to hand carve briar wood pipes for the shop, my favorite being a Knights head-armor. The shop made it through 3 generations, and if I remember correctly, it was set up by the grandfather who had come over from Malaga, Spain. They closed somewhere around 1998-2000. The grandson/owner turned into a bit of a hermit - he just sort of slowly withdrew from the business.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had some pipes from the shop and bought tobacco from them. The man I dealt with most of the time may have been the son of the owner, a gentleman with good sense. His sister worked there as well. Good pipes and a nice shop. When the owner died and the grandson took over, the place seemed to go into a tailspin and they never recovered. Supposedly made pipes for Bing Crosby.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We recently discovered a good one in Hamtramck called simply "Smokers". Has a great selection of "pipes". The owner told us that he wants it to be a coffee shop style of business, but it was still a work in progress.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey krawl, funny I'm just smoking my last bowl of haymarket right now! small world {or city}
jr tobacco on northwestern has a decent selection of tinned stuff and I also like their "baker street" english house mix.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2668
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The venerable Maison- Edwards is still going strong in Ann Arbor at the Nickels arcade.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember there was a place called Tobacco Road on Gratiot and one in Dearborn on Michigan Avenue. And the Monkey Boutique on Woodward. These places sold lots of pipes as did some vintage stores on Plum Street if you can go back that far. They didn't sell a lot of tobacco but they did sell a lot of pipes..............

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For many years when the United Artist Building was flourishing, right on the lobby floor was Sigler's Smoke Shop. Very popular with the tenants as well as with the Gas Company/NBD employees on Bagley and guests of both the Tuller and Statler Hotels.
I went to Michigan with the owner's son, John. Surprisingly, John never picked up the smoking habit in the time I knew him.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haymarket, oh HELL YES, although Butternut was always my favorite. The Praline that seemingly-defunct Churchill's sold was always a treat, too.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does the Groove Shoppe count?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.