Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Schaefer, Between Plymouth & West Chicago « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering if Schaefer, between Plymouth and West Chicago (including adjacent area) was zoned totally light industrial/commercial. I don't recall seeing any homes in the area (late 60s-early 70s); seems like there was nothing but factories and showrooms.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 683
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are still homes there. My DH grew up on that street. North of Orangelawn (I think that's right) there is light industrial, but below that are homes on both sides of the street.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gaz.

Another question about the general area; specifically - Mark Twain, between Plymouth and W. Chicago.

Behind the homes that line the east side of Mark Twain, I am told that folks would ice skate on an existing creek or small pond.

I was wondering if there was some waterway or body of water back there at one time.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 693
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a gravel pit east of the tracks somewhere around there. We don't remember a pond, though.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gaz, thing is - someone, at some time told me that there was a stream or creek running from the area of the AMC HQ, southward; perhaps during the 19th century?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 694
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There could have been. Many streams have been filled in for building. The area there was built up in the 20s I think. Somebody probably has a map that will show the topography.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's flanked on the one side by the railroad, and that's why it's always looked so scrappy, with light industrial buildings and such. My favorite landmark on that part of Schaefer was a derelict entertainment venue called CLUB NECESSARY. What a great name for a bar -- especially in that neighborhood!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd...."Club Necessary", where abouts was it; was it around in the late '60s?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ: I can't say. I know I saw it there around 2002.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From some online listing: CLUB NECESSARY, 313-491-4099. 14906 Schaefer Hwy Detroit, MI 48227.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Detroitnerd; where did you go to high school?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dogbone High - Home of the Cake-Eaters

Chuckjav

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool....Go Pioneers!

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a strip of property after Mark Twain that we used to call the "Greenstrip". We weren't allowed to go back there. I'm not really sure why, but it was off limits to us.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex....yes, that's where folks would ice skate (between rr tracks and Mark Twain backyards). That particular neighborhood managed to stay safe well past the point in time when neighborhoods, less than a mile to the east, had become quite dangerous.

My first girlfriend lived on Mark Twain.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my piano teacher lived on Mark Twain....been a lot of years. My very best friend (from 1st grade) is coming in this week from California to see me. She lived on Strathmore, right across from AMC and the Borman Foods office building. It was a light industrial neighborhood with a couple of houses thrown in.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex....lots of friends from George Ford and Brooks ('70-'72) in your old neighborhood; good times - long remembered.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.