Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Plymouth and Meyers area « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone out there (older than 42) remember the name of the soft-serve ice cream store on Plymouth, near Parker Elementary?

Also, might anyone remember the name of a really big church near Plymouth and Sorrento?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Church was Ward Memorial Presbyterian Church. Pastor was one Dr. Evan D. Welsh, who served there for a zillion years. Went with a girl who went to that church back in the late fifties.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray.

What about the nice Catholic Church on Mendota (?), north of Mackenzie - is that Epiphany?

Ray1936

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got me on that one, Chuck.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray....I'll find out.

Do you remember a church named Saint Cecilia?
It's where all of Mackenzie's cagers/hoopsters played summer league basketball.

PS when was the last time you heard someone refer to a basketball player as a "cager"?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 663
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Epiphany. My husband attended that grade school, and my family went to the church when we moved to Detroit. Father Muir, the man who could give marathon sermons.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Cecilia was over off'n Grand River up around Joy Road...maybe on Petoskey street. Can't remember specificially, I can see it in my mind at the end of a street somewhere in that area.

Oh, there's still some old time sportswriters who call 'em "cagers". They can call 'em anything they want as far as I'm concerned; I always considered basketball the dumbest sport ever invented.

Apologies to Dr. Naismith.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Cecelia was on Livernois, I think, near W. Chicago. I used to go by there on my way to WSU.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray and Gaz...thanks for the scoop on Epiphany & St. Cecilia's.

Now my mind is heading west on Plymouth; it's 1970, and I am walking past a party store at Plymouth and Schaefer...heading west on Plymouth. On the south side of Plymouth is a big store of some kind (paint or hardware)...it has a big round clock near the roof. A little further up the road, at the railroad tracks is a tire "recapping" business.

On the north side of Plymouth is mega-giant American Motors Corporation parking lot; looking at those cool Gremlins, Ambassadors, Matadors...and Javelins.

Walking past the big AMC World HQ...crossing over to c/o Mark Twain and Plymouth - - there it is....the strip joint where, if you looked real close, you could see the show through the curtained front door - in the daytime!

Memories are like time travel....awesome!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey wasen,t hollywood speed shop at plymouth& meyers? when i was a teenager they were at plymouth & middlebelt. you know alot of stuff seems to have just moved west.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog....I remember some sort of (very small) automotive related shop, on the NW c/o of Plymouth & Meyers (circa 1969)....had lots of "Wolf's Head" Motor Oil signage in the windows.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a very nice carpet store across from AMC, too. We used to get our rugs and carpet there, as they has the most wonderful annual sales. They moved out to Northville to a strip mall on Seven Mile right in front of the hospital.

I particularly remember the blue, green, black and white shag carpet, and a wonderful orange, brown and gold rya accent rug. The 70s, yes!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz....was that the place with a big clock on the building's exterior?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 735
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the clock, it might be. This place was right across from AMC, I think west of the tracks.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a paint store on Plymouth (maybe around Hubbell) named Madias Paint. There were a lot of Madias's that went to George Ford and Mackenzie.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 809
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to school with Madiases too. One family lived on my block. I think they still have a store on Evergreen north of the Jeffries.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe: did you go to George Ford or Parker? Do you remember Maritsa Manor on Plymouth Rd.? It was named after one of the Madias girls? There were twin Madias girls that went to Mackenzie when I was there.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote from Ray1936

"Oh, there's still some old time sportswriters who call 'em "cagers". They can call 'em anything they want as far as I'm concerned; I always considered basketball the dumbest sport ever invented"

Ray, it's good to know I'm not alone.
run down to one end of the court, throw the ball in the basket. Other team runs down to the other end of the court, throws the ball in the basket. Repeat 50 times each until last two minutes, which will take 35 minutes including time-outs.
True fans live for the last two minutes, I just wish the game was limited to two minutes, with a final score of 2-3, like other sports.
There's something flawed to me in a game where each team can score over 50 points per game. maybe they need sticks to keep the ball out of the basket or something.
I must be wrong though, plenty of others love watching the game.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.