Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Brush Park mansions??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the old houses in Brush Park on this web site. My husband and I went downtown and over to Brush Street from Wayne State, but could not find any houses. I was down there in the 1980s and they were still there. Where exactly are they from WSU? Are they still there or all torn down? Thanks. I wanted to take some photos.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Drifterlee, you'll need to drive a bit south of Wayne State. Take Woodward to Alfred Street to see several of the best preserved mansions between Woodward and John R. Then venture on other streets both to the north and south of Alfred. Most of the neighborhood has been demolished; but there's still a lot of houses left. Look on Eliot, one block south of Mack, between John R and Brush for some of the newer old houses. That's the block where Slumpy was moved. Good luck.

Drifterlee

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not been in that area for years. I was shocked at how different everything looks, everything torn down and new modern buildings. I got completely lost. Thank God for Old Main or I never would have found Wayne State. Do you mean go towards the Detroit River or towards the Fisher Freeway to find Alfred Street? Google Earth could not find Alfred for some reason.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go towards the river.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From WSU go south towards downtown. Go past the Bonstelle Theatre (past MLK blvd - Mack Ave). Turn left (East) off of Woodward after passing the Bonstelle. The first street is Erskine. Alfred is the 4th after MLK if Mapquest is correct. Start with that and wander around. btw, Slumpy was (!) on Eliot.

There's a LOT of open land - prairie - that used to be built pretty fully with the beautiful old homes. There are indeed some still left. Certainly worth checking out.

copy and paste this link - it MIGHT work:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/m ap.adp?formtype=address&addtoh istory=&address=63%20Alfred%20 St&city=Detroit&state=MI&zipco de=48201%2d3120&country=US&geo diff=1

Drifterlee

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!!! We went the wrong way!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.