Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Protest in Grand Circus Park? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 903
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what's up with the makeshift graveyard? Probably an antiwar protest? Should be interesting with tomorrow's Tigers game. Anyone know when this went up?
Hazen S. Pingree isn't going to take this sitting down! . . . OK, maybe he will.

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on September 20, 2007)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit website:    

ARLINGTON MIDWEST - THE HUMAN COST OF WAR DISPLAY  
Sept 22   1 p.m. OPENING CEREMONY.  This powerful display, being held in Detroit's Grand
Circus Park, encourages the public to reflect on the human cost of war.  People needed
to assemble and to be peacekeepers/greeters.  Call: Dan Lombardo, 248-895-3317.
Co-sponsored by DAPJN, Northwest Ohio Peace Coalition, MECAWI and ACOSS.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciate any constructive public demonstration like this. But I would like the demonstrators from NW Ohio to leave, please.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 905
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't like out-of-town visitors, Mackinaw?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that it coincides with the death of our 2007 Tigers.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3324
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gray Panthers of Metro Detroit

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were about a dozen ladies walking through Wayne State today dressed in all black and carrying black balloons. Are they related to this?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should call the two guys with the "Honk if 9-11 = Inside job" signs.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just poking at Ohio as always, Rhymes. Half-joking. And yeah we need visitors.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure it was "wear black day" for the jenna 6.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked through the Arlington Midwest display. It is quite moving.

They are asking you to reflect on the loss of life and suffering associated with the war. It is not a blatant in your face anti-war protest.

It is hard to not be moved by reading the names of every lost American life and the names of many Iraqis. This comes from someone who voted for President Bush twice.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very nice. Everyone should stop by and say a prayer, or spare a thought.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4000
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes! Yet another meaningless demonstration--as if anybody not connected to it really cares...

Be sure to get that one--or two unbiased news people out there to objectively cover it--in case it's a slow news day, then the demonstration might actually get on the air or paper.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 866
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote Docmo: "This comes from someone who voted for President Bush twice."

I can't believe you are willing to publicly admit that....

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4001
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Quote Docmo: "This comes from someone who voted for President Bush twice."

I can't believe you are willing to publicly admit that...

Quite understandable and completely realistic. The only viable alternatives back then were a doofus and pathological liar named Algore or another liar who went by the name of JFK.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 867
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Politicians are liars. Don't fool yourself.

And let's not forget that the "doofus" is also a pathological liar AND an idiot. Personally, I would have gone with an intelligent pathological liar. Then, perhaps, an attack on a middle east country would have been thoroughly thought through and planned, as apposed to, "Strike and see what happens".

But, hey, that's MY opinion. We'll never know anything different.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Half of the Country voted for President Bush. He is the legal leader of this country. I have no problem publicly admitting my vote for our President, even though the management of this war, like most wars, has clearly not gone the way they had hoped.

This thread is about the Arlington Midwest monument Demonstration. I was very moved to spend 60 minutes reading the names, ranks, age, hometown and then a description of where and how each of these American soldiers died.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote "--in case it's a slow news day, then the demonstration might actually get on the air or paper."

The media will not cover demonstrations against the war and the asswhippin we're throwin on the Iraqis.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2734
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Docmo, for visiting the memorial in the spirit it was created. I will pass on your thoughts to the folks who put it up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.