Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Breaker one-nine, we got wall-to-wall bears on the Lodge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4154
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my drive down and up the Lodge to Belle Isle handball today, the Lodge was covered with speed traps. I saw 4 each way, all between 8 Mile and downtown. Two of them already had 'customers' each way. Both local yokels and smokies were in on the act. I am guessing some of the many road workers must have been getting buzzed by the madmen of the Lodge.

Interesting related link that arrived in the inbox yesterday.

http://www.speedtrap.org/speed traps/ste.asp?state=MI&city=De troit

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed a lot of state cops on I-275 between 8 Mile and I-96 at lunchtime today, too.

Watch out.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2772
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an article online about it. The were on I-75 on Monday.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070919/U PDATE/709190435/1003

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suddenly want to watch Smokey and the Bandit...

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4155
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be with the upcoming state budget disaster the cops feel a need to get out of the doughnut shops and generate some revenue to justify their not getting the ax?

"The idea of the campaign is not to gain revenue through writing speeding tickets, but to get people to slow down and thus save lives," Williams said.

Uh-huh, so why now? I thought that is what we were paying you for all along...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riiiiiight. That's why they do nothing all year, then ratchet up the ticket-writing during crunch time. That's one heckuva sensible "campaign."

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

elections must be coming!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2668
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Uh-huh, so why now?

They read all the posts by speeders on the freeway topic.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good info Lowell.

Thanks!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4945
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hah, I got pulled over on Van Dyke last week....they have been all over for the past 2 weeks. Maybe these tickets can help with the budget? lol

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3312
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might help to discuss radar detectors here.

In my experience they don't save you from a ticket in any particular incident because once you've detected their radar or lidar, they've already measured your speed. However, cruising with a radar detector does give you a sense, over time, of the general level of enforcement in the areas you frequent.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't own a radar detector, and those I know that have them are always getting pulled over. Look at the 18 wheelers and take your cue form them. No group of drivers is better linked or informed then truckers. If they are sticking to a strict 55 mph you can bet there is a patrol in the area. If they have the hammer down, it's clear.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My solution to this is obeying traffic laws. While it is a fairly radical approach, I find that I can drive past cops who are lurking and shooting radar guns without getting a ticket. Just yesterday I was using this strategy, and passed two cops on the way home. As I suspected, my plan worked, and they did not come after me.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I-94 today: from 8mile south through the City.

(Message edited by mauser765 on September 20, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10176
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how many fugitives, dead beat parents, warrants, etc are out and about in society. As usual revenue generation is more important than going after the criminals. Just one more point of stupid logic in this state.

**No moving violations in years and years**

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tomorrow: Southfield Road from the Lodge to Mich. Ave. (according to Fox 2 this morning)

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They tell you they are doing it. They tell you where they are doing it.............and you all call it a trap?

Johnlodge you may be on to something............

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 858
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, anyone know the cost of a 5 over the limit speeding ticket?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10261
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Immediate cost or continuing revenue for your insurance company?!

Raptor56

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5 over on the freeway on I94 seven years ago was a point and $70. I imagine it's more now.

Citylover

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not true Raptor.There are no violations that are one point; it is always two or more points.Five over the limit is an "energy" fine.Usually the cop will reduce the actual speed to five over to give the driver a break. An energy ticket is a fine with no points attached in Michigan

Raptor56

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember writing a letter instead of going to court. they reduced the fine by $10 and no points. first ticket I ever received. could have swore it was only a point. but it was 7 years ago. the way back machine is a little foggy on that one.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they pulling over the:
-people weaving in and out of lanes?
-people reading and driving?
-people putting on makeup?
-people parked in the fast lane and holding up traffic?
-people not using blinkers?

Speed differential kills, not speed. And I might go so far as to say the stuff I've listed above is probably more dangerous than speed itself.

Of course we all know "speed kills" right? *rolls eyes*. But hey, speeding tickets are easy, and it brings in a lot of money. So lets do that and say it is all about safety.

I hate cops whose only purpose is to give speeding tickets. I respect the rest a hell of a lot, but those guys can eat my rear.

Maybe we should set the speed limits to 10mph. Nobody will die in a car accident again ever.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10190
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I hate cops whose only purpose is to give speeding tickets. I respect the rest a hell of a lot, but those guys can eat my rear.

I hate speedtraps and think they are just a revenue source but the cops are assigned to the job for the day. Don't hate the officers because their leaders decided where they should be for the day. Same goes with jobs like meter maids, etc.

They are doing what they are told to do and more than likely doing it so they can support their family.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4605
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The speed limit is 65 or 70 MPH on much of the Lodge. There is really no excuse for people to be going much faster than that on urban/suburban freeways. It's not as though the Lodge is some empty highway in the middle of Montana. I have no sympathy for anyone who receives a speeding ticket on the Lodge. If you don't want to pay the fine and the points, get cruise control and set you car at 65 MPH.

For the sake of argument let's say the state police are aggressively enforcing the speed limit on the Lodge solely to raise revenue. So what? Roads and schools and police cost money. It has to come from somewhere. If the average Michigander doesn't want to pay it in taxes then they'll pay for it in speeding tickets. Actually I kind of like that policy. It's a tax on the stupid.

Of course the inconvenient truth is that Lodge speed traps wouldn't be an issue if metro Detroiters didn't elect to live in sprawl. The shorter ones commute the less likelihood one will be pulled over for speeding. Consequences can be a bitch.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Jelk, especially your first paragraph.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the speed on the Lodge is 55 from the [new] 14 mile marker [somewhere between 9 and 10 Mile Rds.] to downtown and always has been.

IMO, that should be 65 except around the I-94 and Davison interchanges. The reason for those being due to their poor design which has merging and exiting traffic in the outer high speed lanes. [Text book examples on how not to design limited access highway interchanges.]

The argument for higher limits is bolstered by the fact that there are almost no semis on the Lodge; it is almost purely four-wheeler traffic.

Citylover

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is something of interest and relevance.......... what the cops say about speed is interesting

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbor news/2007/09/officials_agency_ stall_speed_i.html

Jelk

Post Number: 4607
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10 mile to downtown at 55 seems pretty reasonable to me.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11695
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

10 mile to downtown at 55 seems pretty reasonable to me.

So you must be the one guy doing 55 mph eh?

Jelk

Post Number: 4609
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I see the cops on the shoulder and I'm in the right lane...yes.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other day on the Lodge northbound near linwood there was a cop with his radar gun out and everyone had slowed down to about 55, but he still pulled somebody over. There was no way they were going over 60 because everyone else was blocking him. That seems a bit excessive.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So you must be the one guy doing 55 mph eh?

No SS, that would be Gannon.

Jelk

Post Number: 4610
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No what's a "bit excessive" is a state the forces its universities to raise tuition by 16% while politicians work themselves in a lather talking about well-educated, information-age, cool-cities economies and the state police has to increase their ticket quota in order to generate sufficient revenue for police services.

Don't like it? Slow down. Or better yet don't construct a lifestyle based around long daily commutes. Or even better still don't bitch about paying taxes to the one level of government that consistently provides quality services in return for taxes paid. Roads, schools, and police cost money.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!!!

Drankin21 is honking and flashing his lights at Jelk

Jelk

Post Number: 4612
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm never in the left lane. It's filled with douchebags in Hummers yammering away on their bluetooths. In the context of x=asshole, the left lane has pretty much come to equal asshole.

Our actions have consequences. The consequence of the current budget situation is that the police will be righting more tickets. As citizens we created this situation so it's hard to come around now and act like it's the greatest injustice west of Darfur.

Bill Maher said it best the other night. Activism has come to equal narcissism.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate speed traps as much as anyone, but I've been driving the Lodge at least twice a day to and from downtown for more than 20 years. Compared to any other freeway I have ever driven in this area the Lodge has always been virtually a cop-free zone. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it is not part of the interstate system like every other Detroit freeway except the Davison.

Anyone who drives the Lodge regularly I'm sure will tell you stories of crazy MFs chasing each other at near 100 mph, weaving in and out of traffic. My favorite is when someone will tailgate you while you are doing 70 in the center lane, finally pass on the left, and then immediately exit on the right -- so preoccupied with passing that they forgot they had to get off.

And I am not a slow driver by any means. I'm usually doing 70 on the Lodge along with all the other normal people. But the reason there are so many crazies on that stretch of roadway is because the cops never go there. At least that is my experience.

Try driving downtown on the Lodge at 11:00 pm on a Friday or Saturday night; you will see what I mean.

Now with the construction sites it is only a matter of time before some construction worker gets killed.

Just have the police patrol the Lodge once in a while. After this one day "speed trap" we likely won't see any cops on the Lodge again and it will return to its usual lawless state.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4164
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you Gianni. The Lodge is notorious for having more than its share of lane-weaving madmen. Crotch-rocket motorcyclers are the worst.

The reason why it isn't speed trapped more is that there are few hiding spots for cops to sit and have sight lines for the speed guns. Pull overs have to be on narrow right shoulders, as there is nothing in the middle, and those are very dangerous. This would make the Lodge a prime candidate for license-reading automated speed guns, like they have in the UK. Tickets arrive in the mail.

I tend to be one of those drivers who goes with the flow speed of the pack. On the Lodge that tends to be 65-70 [center lane].

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.