Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Speaking of...Baker's Keyboard Lounge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am back-flipping (with a full twist)...experiencing a mondo-serious craving for Baker's jazz and fried catfish combo; anybody else?

Damn!!!!!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2565
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm down. But I miss Teddy. :-(

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...he left too soon.

Back in '99, my son was with friends at Baker's...in-walks Aretha Franklin!

Damn!!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to know Teddy Harris Jr. made an impression. I too miss him. Baker's has changed Wed eves from Tad, Don and George to Spencer Barefield. Don and George were Teddy's regular stablemates...
I'll try and make it tonight.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are Don and George still going to be around? I can't imagine not having them there. I did see them with Tad at Cliff Bell's a few months back. That was a good show (of course, how could it not be).

Jimg

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...doubtful...Don, maybe, because he sometimes works with Spencer.
Next month, don't miss Thurs Oct 4 - the great pianist Claude Black with Will Austin. Claude is on Donald Byrd's first record - playing trombone, lol. He's an amazing pianist, pure bebop, and swings his ass off. Will was in Yusef Lateef's band at Klein's Show Bar.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does this mean no more open jam nights at all? Those were the nights I enjoyed the most. Or is Spencer hosting the jam night now?

Jimg

Post Number: 935
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, A. Spencer is hosting the jam session.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2573
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah ok, excellent. Thanks Jimg.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just went with m girlfriend last week... can't beat the price. 2 catfish dinners, mac n cheese and fries... $25. Atmosphere is classic

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Baker's, but man, it's in dire need of a makeover.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The doormen dont have the best social skills. I walked in one night several months back and asked if the restaurant was open, when I found out it was open I said I was going to get my ladyfriend and on the way out I stopped to look at the pics when I heard a racist conversation about me and my girlfriend. Something to the extent that I was" too comfortable how I asked that question and how much you want to bet his girlfriend isnt the same color as him and you dont want to see that"!On another occasion the same guys were standing there when I walked in late in the evening and asked if there was still cover when one of the guys said no with a blank stupid look like why are you even here. Both occasions I chose not to stay. I have to agree with Harpernottingham the place is somewhat dumpy and not too friendly of any atmosphere with maybe one or too exceptions on two visits several years back.

Jimg

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry you've had negative experiences at Baker's, Terryh.
Hmmmm....I frequent the joint, know many of the employees and I've never felt a draft on any occasion over thirty-plus years . John Colbert wouldn't put up with any nonsense such as you're describing. He isn't there 24/7, but his son and other 'doormen' are unlikely to have caused you that problem. I'd be happy to meet you there, Terryh, and introduce you around if you like.
I don't understand why anyone would want to 'remake' Baker's appearance...it's a genuwine piece of Detroit history, a jazz lounge. It looks 'dumpy'? Not flashy enough? I don't get it...

English
Username: English

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, I also had a very negative experience @ Baker's with the doorman back during the summer of 2002. I was entertaining an out-of-town friend who was a musician in Chicago and talked up Baker's a lot. I loved the food, the music, and the atmosphere. I couldn't wait for the evening out and planned carefully for it.

First, we were harassed at the door. I had been going to Baker's (mainly for dinner after work) since I turned 21, and I was 25 at the time of the incident. My friend was 22. The person at the door insisted that our IDs were false, and made a huge deal of it. Finally, we were let in, but the person at the door kept "monitoring us" and before the music began, talked about us to people whom I guess were regulars. Then there was the liquor issue. My friend doesn't drink, and I was the native/designated driver so I couldn't do very much.

After we finished dessert and the one drink I could handle and still drive, we were told we had to leave. I tried to speak with management but was refused. I was extremely upset, and wrote the Metro Times & the Freep, only got 1 email back from W. Kim Heron who said he'd check on it. Haven't darkened their door since.

Incidentally, last year my sorority chapter was looking for a venue for an event. Baker's was tops on the list until I said that they could have it there, but I would not attend. We've used other locations since.

I don't speak against it offline, and respect the heck out of the history of the place. I loved going there after teaching from 1999-2001. However, after that crappy experience and having my friend's impression of a Detroit icon ruined, I will never go there again. I was hoping my story was an isolated one, and perhaps maybe it was something that me or my friend did inadvertently. But reading Terryh's post makes me angry all over again.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English... what sorority are you in?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baker's has a great history and all, but seriously, the place is a dump today, and the food's not so hot either. It seems like they're resting on their laurels over there. "We're Baker's ... we don't have to change."

From the outside, it kinda looks like the county jail.

I'd love to see Baker's modernize a little.
The men's room would be a good place to start.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2593
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never had any problems with being harassed at Baker's any of the times I've gone. I usually get dinner and a few drinks. Sorry to here others had bad experiences.

It could be fixed up a little, but I wouldn't get carried away with it.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear some of the negative comments. Haven't been there in years, but do recall going to see Anita Baker when she was a nobody. I think she was with Chapter 8 at the time. Those were the days...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't remodel an icon like Baker's. Clean and polish it up a little, maybe; but keep it essentially as is.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the invite JiMG. Ill probably take you up on the offer sometime. I thought the food was pretty good (fried chicken with greens and yams?)if I remember correctly.I would be willing to give the place another chance.

Jimg

Post Number: 938
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess when you cycle lines of folks in-and-out every week, mistakes are made.
And, yeah, Baker's could use a little spit and polish...and it was actually remodeled sixty some years ago, the door was originally in the middle not the end.
I just wish they'd replace the Aluminum letters under the sign, and also the parking lot sign. And the piano which Art Tatum picked out is still "in storage" and needs some attention.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.