Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » British Airways to leave Detroit on March 30 due to Auto Industry Decline « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

British Airways to suspend Detroit-London flights
Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:26 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - British Airways said on Wednesday it would suspend its daily flight between Detroit and London's Heathrow Airport in March, citing the changing nature of the U.S. auto industry.

The aircraft will be used on other, more profitable routes, the airline said.

British Airways has operated the route for more than 50 years, but was not able to make a reasonable level of profit and sees no possible upswing, the carrier said.

"Detroit was a route very dependent on the auto industry, and the changing nature of this sector made it a very challenging market to be in," Robin Hayes, British Airways executive vice president Americas, said in a statement.
------------------------------

One of the longest serving airlines to Detroit will stop service on March 30. Over time, the planes on this route had shrunk from a 747 to a 777 to a 767 that continues to and originates from Houston (Houston-Detroit-London). This had led to inconvenient flight times (You had to leave London at 9 AM coming back to Detroit and did not get into London until noon because the plane left Detroit at around 11 PM). Also, BA's prices from Detroit were fairly high. NW may raise prices now due to the lack of nonstop competition.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"British Airways has operated the route for more than 50 years, but was not able to make a reasonable level of profit and sees no possible upswing, the carrier said."

Ouch...very discouraging

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have they forgotten already how we saved their butts in WWII?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You aren't important anymore.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

Americans who continuously purchase foreign automobiles have no one to blame but themselves for the poor economic situation here in Michigan and throughout the U.S.
Here is just one example of poor leadership:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070919/BUS INESS01/709190346&imw=Y

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3980
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SE Michigan with its UAW workforce being priced at $30 per hour higher relative to the non-unionized US workforce for the domestically built Hondas and Toyotas just a few hundred miles away has driven the foreign models (and their parts by Tiers) from here or ever being here in the first place.

Detroit will eventually (and sooner compared to later) resemble the US consumer-electronics industry (none since the 1970s). It is not difficult for anybody with a memory of what's been occurring the past three/four years to notice this. Comerica, moving its headquarters, Pfizer downsizing to Groton back East, the Big Three now selling fewer than a majority of cars sold in the US, bankruptcies of the Tiers in Oakland and Macomb Counties and the ripple effects to their communities, Volkswagen going to VA, the former 51st-largest US firm--Delphi now bankrupt with its US plants being replaced by mostly Asian plants, Lear's downsizing and paralleling Delphi, etc.

Notice the impasses with the new four-year UAW labor pacts with the Big Three being bogged down. No way will any of those three ever be drawn into yet another such labor agreements that will force all of them in bankruptcies themselves.

Does anybody wonder why there are fewer and fewer passengers from DTW to London so that flying there anymore doesn't make economic sense? Even former Eastpointe's own-headquartered Spirit Airlines also left Detroit a month ago and transferred all its locally based pilots from Metro Detroit to Florida.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on September 19, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Have they forgotten already how we saved their butts in WWII?"

"You aren't important anymore."

You know, I was going to preempt any possible "they should provide this service even if they lose money on it" comments, but then I thought, nah, even the dumbest posters here aren't that clueless...

I stand corrected.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I was going to preempt any possible "they should provide this service even if they lose money on it" comments, but then I thought, nah, even the dumbest posters here aren't that clueless...

Starting with you? Who said I didn't support their decision, or had any opinion on it at all from a business standpoint?

By "you aren't important anymore" I was referring to Detroit. Sorry if you misinterpreted, but nice try.

Rooms222

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I noted a little bit, their service was pretty uncompetitive at the end as well. I found out about this at www.airliners.net , a discussion board about airlines. They say Detroit actually has more service to Europe now than before, but the alliance of airlines that British Airways is in called One World (American, BA, and smaller carriers) has pulled out of Detroit for direct international flights. Lufthansa and NW both have two flights a day to Frankfurt. NW and Air France are also still here. Still, a sad thing.

P.S. The airliners.net people were a little off. Royal Jordanian is a member of One World and flies nonstop from Detroit to Amman Jordan.

(Message edited by rooms222 on September 19, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Does NWA or KLM have any direct flights to London?

Rooms222

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, NWA flies to Gatwick. They are expected to change to Heathrow because of a new "open skies" agreement between UK and US, a kind of free trade agreement that allowed the routes to be reallocated away from Detroit.

The airline folks were commenting how NW was much more competitively priced than BA, had better departure times than BA, and people from Detroit found Gatwick a decent airport more so than certain other markets......There is the worry non-stop prices will now go up with only one flying the market. Many people already change planes to get lower fares on this route.

Discussion and history here:

http://airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3613911/

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grrr! Guess I'm going to have to burn my miles pretty soon.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9830
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that T.O. to Detroit is also either reducing or removing direct flights as well. Flights now are diverted to Chicago and then to Detroit.
Nothing like a 2 hour flight turning into a 5+ hour ordeal.
I thought the expansion of the airport was supposed to be better for the region? I thought wrong.

Rooms222

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who is T.O.?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrell Owens?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it now just T. ?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY you are full of shit regarding why Pfizer left Ann Arbor.They simply pulled a fast one; especially after being granted breaks and incentives.

The work force and intellectual capabilities here in A2 are equal to any.

As for ridership being down.............it appears you have that wrong as well as others point out they are(BA) not competitive.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blimey, what a bummer.

Are there any 101'ers out there? As in Pan Am # 101, which was Detroit-JFK-London?

When I was shipping out of NY in the early 80's, I'd get an almost always available and spacious (747) standby seat for around $80.

It seemed you'd inevitably run into someone in the clubs that was on the cheap too.

R.I.P.-BA/DTW.

Rooms222

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Numbers from airliners.net discussion:

UK's Civil Aviation Authority reported that DTW-LHR traffic was only 6719 pax in June, down 38% from the year before. BA's flight, the only one from LHR, was apparently a money loser; and, assuming NW gets a few LHR slots for next March, it would continue to lose money unless BA wanted to try a 757.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3982
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL's playing his victim self again. Again, the adverse events in AA and Detroit were all done to its victims. Sure!

And those 300 big-time Google jobs are simply sales positions and some data entry jobs concerning digitizing the UoM libraries. Google's doing the same at most major colleges that have large and unique college libraries across the nation. Big deal.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit will eventually (and sooner compared to later) resemble the US consumer-electronics industry (none since the 1970s)."

I disagree. I think eventually the UAW's back will be broken. Sorry unioners, sad but true. Factories are required for national security. The good ol' days are over. There's more rough days ahead, but the goose that laid the golden eggs is gone, and it's time to start being realistic. In the end, the auto companies will survive, and the workers will make less and have less benefits.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What in the hell are you talking about LY?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3983
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AA wins one lousy football game against a 0-3 team, and he gets so feisty... LOL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.