Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The 1967 Lake St. Clair "Island Study" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently came across a brochure that was handed out at the 1967 dedication of the Chapaton Retention Basin, which is located at the northeast corner of Nine Mile Rd. and Jefferson in St. Clair Shores. At the time, the Macomb County Drain Commissioner, Tom Welsh, apparently had an "Island Study" underway, which envisioned building a causeway from the foot of Nine Mile Road to a man-made island that would be created on an existing off-shore sandbar in Lake St. Clair to provide additional public lake access for recreational purposes. The island's dimensions would have been about one-half mile long by one-quarter mile wide.

Obviously, this ambitious idea never happened - perhaps it was too expensive or maybe they couldn't get the necessary Army Corps of Engineers permits?

Here is the description of the "Island Study" that appeared in the brochure:

The Island pictured here is presently an idea, but it also is an attainable reality. Throughout the nation, such manmade water access playgrounds have been successfully constructed, and more of them are currently underway. Here we have a causeway in being leading to a sandbar section of Lake St. Clair, an ideal location. Much groundwork necessary to the actual start of island construction already has been done. The need for additional lake access for thousands of Macomb County residents is pressing, and this Island is a feasible and practical answer to that need.

Here are perspective and plan view sketches of the proposed island plus a location map which were all included in the brochure:

perspective view

plan view

location map

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 598
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were even plans to run 16 mile out to the flats and have dozens of interconnected manmade islands troughout the lake with about 5000 homes in the 1950s. It was just a plan by a very rich man. Anyone else ever hear of that? Very interesting by the way.

(Message edited by fareastsider on September 19, 2007)

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall an article in the mid '90's in the Free Press about one guys plan to extend Vernier out into the lake and have many islands branch off with residential development. Anyone remember that?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider,

What would they have done about the shipping traffic?

Fareastsider

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably the same thing im talking about I read the same article. It had 16 and 8 mile running out and probably another road

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just think what an Island right off of Nine Mile with those amenities would have done for St. Clair Shores? I would love to see who opposed the idea and how close it came to happening.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3304
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(With tongue only halfway in cheek: ) This is another advantage Michigan has over landlocked states. We have an option to expand geographically.

Of course, if lake levels keep dropping that will happen naturally anyway.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Welsh?
Drain Commissioner of SCS, in the Fifties?
Very, very powerful figure in the expansion of SCS in those days.
(Brother of Marv Welsh, I think)

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Welsh was a powerful guy; the Mayor of SCS in the 50s. He forced MDOT to make I-94 go around the heart of the city along Harper. That's why there is the big curve on I-94 at 8 Mile.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5371
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That explains why I-94 is the "moat" or border that separates St. Clair Shores from Eastpointe and Roseville.

That island park idea seems very cool indeed. I remember as a young child going to the 9 Mile & Jefferson beach back before they closed it for the Chapaton storm drain project.

Of course had it been built, it would likely today be a private SCS park, just like the neighboring Grosse Pointe Woods Park, which is along the SCS shoreline, and an irritant for SCS, to be sure!

I bet the Army Corps of Engineers did put a kabosh on the island park.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5372
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other point.... shipping traffic... the dredged shipping channels are way out in Lake St. Clair, at least 3 miles from this proposed island.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are also near the border. The islands were all in American waters. The freighters have their own dredged channel.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 441
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool plans!

Ejr
Username: Ejr

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad and my grandparents remember Jefferson Beach amusement park. It closed before the island proposal. The internet remembers too and provided a nice link (some nice pics from then): http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/amuse.asp?id=310&type=2

More recently, there was a plan to build some hotels and beachfront there for bringing in tourism and to get some of the convention traffic from Detroit. I'm sure the plans are at least 10 years old, but I didn't find what I was looking for. I think this is the group that was planning that: http://www.one-water-place.com /index.php (link to their current website)

(Message edited by Ejr on September 20, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.