Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Mexicantown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsideinvestor
Username: Eastsideinvestor

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the story w/Mexicantown?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty straightforward question, I'd say.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will sum up MexicanTown for you:

Xochimilco's at 3409 Bagley

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evie's Tamaleria across the street. And La Gloria Bakery a block east.

Eastsideinvestor
Username: Eastsideinvestor

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is crime worse in Mexicantown or the Eastside?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 566
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean if you go there to eat or what?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 567
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And where on the east side?

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there is gang activity, but in general, they are pretty harmless "street toughs" as I have observed. You have to know exactly which streets to go down to find hookers and dealers anything but a friday or saturday night. The commercial district is very safe, especially during the summer and peak shopping seasons because the streets aren't crowded with walkers, so the risk of pickpocketing decreases, but there are always enough people out for you to feel comfortable. Of course, "East Mexicantown" has a lot more blight and the homes are a bit more lacking in maintenance, but there are a lot of hardworking people in there trying to make a buck, but I haven't seen a lot of drug/prostitution activity there because it's probably too hard for the suburbanites to get to :-) Nowhere you go is perfect...my (well maintained, fully occupied) street being the first street north of Hamtramck has these trashy whores that come from north of the Davison to drum up business close to the border. My husband actually tells them "Go to the other side of Jos. Campau, you don't need to be here." So no place is perfect, but Mexicantown has its own unique flair and thriving commercial district, so I give them kudos :-)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The first Mexican church in Mexicantown was built in the 1920s. Massive growth in the community followed but was interrupted in the 1930s by the depression, which forced many Mexican workers back to their homelands in search of job opportunities.

The rebirth began in the 1950s when a new wave of immigrants arrived to reclaim the area and build Spanish-language cinemas, nightclubs, grocery stores, restaurants and other retail outlets.

In the 1960s and 1970s, Mexicantown was targeted for the I-75 freeway, resulting in the removal of blocks of houses and businesses that caused many residents and businesses to leave.

In the 1980s, the Michigan Department of Transportation and the Detroit International Bridge Company bought homes and businesses in Mexicantown for future transportation uses. Blocks of the neighborhood were vacated but remained unused for decades.

Mexicantown Community Development Corporation (MCDC) emerged in 1989 as a result of businesses and residents joining together to address the desolation in Mexicantown. One of our goals has been to build upon remaining assets by forming a strong coalition of interests dedicated to our neighborhood economic and community development.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the story: used to be that some people with Eastern European roots lived there. Now some people with Mexican roots live there. Much of the local business reflects this change.

That is all.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the story with the mercado in east mexicantown? i've heard a lot about its construction, but not exaclty sure what its for (i am aware that mercado translates as "market")

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 19, 2007)

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a roadrally/scavenger hunt on Sunday that started in Mexicantown. Stopped into the mercado and there were things like picture frames, knick-knacks, and jewelry. Not all the stores were filled up yet. But they had a good start. Anyone see a bunch of folks with white "Driving the D" tee shirts on roaming around downtown. Our stops were Detroit Science Center, Detroit Historical Museum, Heidelberg Project, Scarab Club, Pewabic Pottery. Thats all I can think off the top of my head. Things looked so well in Mexicantown. Lots of new buildings and new houses. Had a great time down there.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6541
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see how Mexicantown quickly grew during the past 30 years. The community is now beginning to spread further southwest along W. Vernor Rd. all the way down to the Dearborn border, downriver suburbs, and parts of the west side.

Today the Mexican/Hispanic population in Detroit stands at 6.2% or over 50,000. By 2010 the population would increase to to over 80,000 by 2010 over 150,000.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigjeff...I saw a group of folks by the Heidelberg Project Sunday. I may have seen you all. I was speaking with Tyree that day.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the housing stock gets better is you go SW along vernor. parts of w. vernor look similar to streets in chicago

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Detroit and parts of Springwell are probably in better shape now than in the 80s. I wish I could say the same thing for my old neighborhood of Franklin Park which probably has a better housing stock than SW Detroit. When I was growing up we had Mexicans in my neighborhood and to the East in Grandale but when the whites left, so did they. Mexicantown although rough in places is also one of the few growing areas of Detroit. I think that area in general will just get better in the coming years.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1815
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the area bounded by the tracks, fort st. and the bridge/freeway (east mexicantown) has a ton of new construction in it, and of course the newly expanded honey bee market.

it'll have at least one new resident in a few weeks too

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.