Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Another Highland Park Fire at the old Kresge Building. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6529
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GHETTO ALERT!

The Old Kresge/Cunningham's Dept. Store Building on the corner of Woodward Ave. and Sears St. at Downtown Highland Park is on fire. Just as Downtown Highland Park is slowing coming back to life, a possible firebug or just a simple electrical problem or insurance money interferes. What the community is going to do?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad. I'm dealing with memory here, but the two stores were next to each other with Cunninghams on the corner, right?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that fire near (or at) the Shopper's World store, whose entire chain bellied up recently?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Downtown Highland Park"

Never really thought that Highland Park had much of a downtown per se. Guess you learn something new everyday on DetroitYES!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4153
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Highland Park [back in prime time] ran from the Davison Expressway to the Model T Plant and still does to some extent although it is marked by some very transient businesses. The new hub is the shopping center / strip malls in front of the Model T [Model T Plaza]. There is a fast food hub around Woodward and Davison now, but not much in between.

The Sears store was the great anchor with Kresges, Highland Appliance further south.

Development of the Sears lot is now underway.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6533
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now under way Mr. Boileau while that firebug is running amok. He won't stop burning houses abd buildings in Highland Park until its demands are met.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd almost cheer, so ugly was the empty Shopper's World building, except for the certainty that the burned-out hulk will likely stand indefinitely.

A note on the development of the adjacent Sears site: They are putting in yet another strip mall. Have the developers not noticed there are two empty or near-empty strip malls just a mile or so south in the same city?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 335
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes but this strip mall has an Aldi Foods and the Highland Park Police Station

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3974
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Aldi sell doughnuts>

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a picture of Shopper's World I took in August 2006.

Shopper's World

This is what burned down, right?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 938
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell....

Ture, but the core of Downtown Highland Park was around Sears and to the south about a block to Manchester. I remember Mary Jane Shoes, Cunninghams, Kresge, Davidson Jewelry, with a couple other stores in that block. In the late '60's, it was a nifty place to both shop and/or work.....

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid in the 40's and 50's we called it uptown. If we said downtown, we meant Detroit.

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock, I wouldn't be so certain about the remains of this building sitting indefinitely (although I wouldn't fault you for this assumption given the norm in this city).
The owner of the property has a couple different preliminary site plans drawn up for a redevelopment - done prior to this mornings fire.

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The police station in the Aldi center next block up will not replace the vacant HP Police Dept, but will be a +/- 500 sf mini center similar to the one at Mack Alter Square - not that it's a bad thing though. They also have Community Arts Credit Union on the tenant roster so far.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this burned down space looks awful now :-(

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Build a Woodward mass transit line and the fires will go away. Property values will go up and the arsonists will move to other abandoned areas.

I guess I should add having pressure in the hydrants will also play an important role in preventing complete destruction.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.