Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bommarito Pink & White Iced Cookie « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jloupee
Username: Jloupee

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a recipe similar to the pink and white iced sugar cookies from Bommarito's on Greater Mack, St. Clair Shores? They are my children's favorite and we now live in the California. Many Thanks

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump!

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey people, I said Bump! We're talking pink and white iced cookies here!!!!

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does that mean in English, please.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging English! English, you are being paged!
(get ready for some verbosity)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5335
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It means he's one cookie short of a snack pack... :-)

But seriously, I don't know that Bommarito's (they recently had an explosion at their store in SCS) gave out the recipe.

I remember old Mr. Bommarito would be sitting behind the counter talking to his customers while his daughters sold the baked goods. I kinda felt sorry for him, since old Mrs. Bommarito died of cancer a few years back.

They have the best donuts ever....

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My roommate is friends with the owners son. I will try and pry some information out of him. We all know how the Bommarito's don't divulge too much information.

About the explosion. His father was trying to light the gas pizza oven first thing in the morning and there must have been a buildup of gas and "kaboom." The father is OK but they closed the store for a few days to make sure everything was working properly.

This was a few weeks back, the store is already back open so as not to scare anyone.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5337
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigjeff, is old man Bommarito still around? My mother thinks he might be in a nursing home by now.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the neighborhood behind Bommarito's and am always in there at least twice a week getting fresh bread or their great subs. I have not seen him in there in a while. I will ask one of the counter ladies when I go in there tonight for a sub on the way home now that i mention it. It's making me hungry just thinking about it.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jloupee, I would be more than happy to overnight some out your way if you would like!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 895
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm, explosion in an Italian establishment...

I wonder if they were up to date on their "contributions" to the familia? :-)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jloupee...see what you get for moving so far. LOL I know someone who ships cookies all over. If I can get them to package them, I would be more than happy to help ship them to you. Give me a few days and I will see..okay?

Broken_main

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW...They are closed until the 25th of September for remodeling. It will give me some time to get a reply from my friend

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10222
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is NOTHING too trivial for the forum rescue squad...y'all are simply amazing.

LOL.

Our reach is wide and deep...DetroitYES, etherically condensing the world's largest small town...e-moment by e-moment.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...I think it's because we care huh?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Old Man Bommarito" is actually Sam Valenti, who married Grace Bommarito the daughter of Jim Bommarito.

Jim opened Bommarito's Bakery on Joseph Campau in 1934 and it was relocated or Cadillac and Forest shortly thereafter. The married couple eventually took over the family business and moved to St. Clair Shores in 1961. Sam and Grace's children and grandchildren run the place now.

Sadly, Sam passed away on December 24, 2005 at the age of 87.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bommarito's has the best cannoli in metro Detroit -- bar none!

I highly recommend the pignoli (pine nut cookies) too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.