Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » State Rep sponsoring profiling/bigotry « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10159
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070914/NEWS05/ 709140403/1001/NEWS#article_co mments

IMMIGRATION BACKLASH: Bill hits cities that ban profiling

quote:

Fed up with illegal immigration, a state legislator wants to crack down on communities with ordinances that prohibit the profiling of immigrants and minorities by hitting the municipalities in the pocketbook.

Under a bill introduced this week by State Rep. Kim Meltzer, R-Clinton Township, cities such as Detroit would lose millions in state revenue sharing money if they have laws that prohibit police and other city employees from targeting people based on appearance.

----------------------------

So having laws in place that make illegal searches/profiling illegal would cost cities funding.

Can't find a link to the legislation. I don;t know if it is published yet.

And here is Rep Meltzer's e-mail account: kimmeltzer@house.mi.gov

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yawn

Jt1

Post Number: 10160
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why yawn? She is advocating being able to stop and question people for nothing more than their skin color, attire, or any random thing.

I guess most non-ethnic people will call this a non-issue. That is the sad part.

This legislation won't get anywhere but it is scary that some of our state reps think like this.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just think the whole immigration debate is so tired...I feel like the only guy who thinks everyone is making way to big a deal out of it...

You don't need to go crazy enforcing immigration laws (like this Rep. is doing) and you don't need to grant illegal immigrants amnesty...

Leaving things the way they are now is better than both of those courses of action

Jt1

Post Number: 10161
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. My frustration lies with the fact that she is using illegal imigration as a means to take away rights off anyone that she (or authorities) believe does not look American enough.

We have a state leading in foreclosures, unemployment and in a financial nightmare. How best to divert the attention away from that: Blame immigrants and cause a false alarm that takes away the rights of citizens.

I suspect that this is an easy thing for her to do because she is not representing areas that have a high number of people that will be affected.

Posturing, bigotry and wasted time.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God Bless America....

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more illegal immigrants...

"Meltzer's bill, called the Sanctuary Policy Prohibition Act, would require Michigan communities to make sure their employees comply with immigration enforcement rules."

States and cities who publically and intentionally ignore any federal law should have their federal funding revoked...

Jt1

Post Number: 10162
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you miss this part:

quote:

Under a bill introduced this week by State Rep. Kim Meltzer, R-Clinton Township, cities such as Detroit would lose millions in state revenue sharing money if they have laws that prohibit police and other city employees from targeting people based on appearance.

The Detroit City Council passed an anti-profiling ordinance in May after receiving complaints from immigrants and U.S. citizens who said they were being pulled over by police and asked about their immigration status based on how they look. Hamtramck is considering a similar ordinance.

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt - then get the bill overturned on the grounds that it is unconstitutional. However, cities that flaunt federal law such as immigration should not be rewarded with federal taxpayer dollars.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toledolaw05 somehow missed the whole xenophobic martial law element of Rep. Meltzer's proposal.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slight problem here, I cannot find any indication that this bill was ever placed in the hopper.

I have absolutely no problem with the gist that people that propose these ridiculous "sanctuary cities" ordinances should do so w/o facing any repercussions.

But I do take issue with going after people based solely on appearance.

If their paperwork doesn't check out when brought in for criminal issues and their legal status in this country is in doubt, that's one thing.

But I don't care to see a return of programs like of Operation Wetback where people are solely targeted based only on appearance.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this the same Rep that in the 1990's proposed legislation banning any aid to the "UN Sponsored One-World Government Conspiracy"?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't tell.

Got anything else that it might be under?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.