Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Area "Ghost Hunters" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of any organizations that would consider themselves "ghost hunters" located in the Detroit area? a family member is having some big problems with what they think is a ghost in the house, it's pretty creepy. Just curious if anyone had ever heard of a group like that around here, they wanted me to ask. I saw a t.v. show about one group a while back or whatever but wasn't sure if they actually existed or if it was a made for television kind of thing

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Atlantic Paranormal Society TAPS is a real group based out of Warick Rhode Island. They have an active website with a chat room. Perhaps someone on there can put you in touch with a local group. Lucky Devil!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monahan, I know someone local who can help you. They are very good, and very rarely find anything that cannot be explained. This is a quality you should look for when talking about paranormal researchers. You can reach him at weirdlectures at wowway dot com, tell him booradley sent you. Try to explain to him exactly what is being experienced.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help a fellow Detroiter...

http://www.scifi.com/ghosthunt ers/hunt/index.php?Candidate=1 7

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, those TAPS guys are OK compared to many paranormal investigators, but it is doubtful they are going to respond to you, and I have way more faith in the guy I recommended, as I know him personally. Also, some of what I've seen on their show lately leads me to believe they are becoming more and more entertainment, and less factual.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that mouse infestations are commonly mistook for ghost noises. Old leaky windows are usually the source of mysterious coldspots and Ira Glass even had some one on his show once that claimed low dosages, not enough to kill, of Carbon Monoxide from a faulty furnace caused hallucinations associated with ghostly apparitions.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monahan568, can you describe the situation here? If not, I understand.

It sounds like it might be an interesting thread.

(Message edited by Jimaz on September 14, 2007)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a group at Fort Wayne called the Michigan Paranormal Encounters

http://www.michiganparanormale ncounters.com/.

They will be having overnight ghost tours at the Fort in October. Look on this forum for more info when it becomes available!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most important element in having an ghostly encounter is believing in them in the first place.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another funny one at our old Redford house our new puppy (now 10.5 years young) would perk her ears up and stare at empty corners of the room. It turned out to be faint wispy cobwebs she was seeing with those keen K9 eyes.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the link below is probably more helpful in solving these kinds of problems than hiring a "ghost hunter"

http://www.psychiatrist.com/

Plymouthres

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stash-

I'm with you-I've worked alone at the Fort on and off for over a 8 months and haven't been visited yet, primarily because I don't believe in ghosts.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Relative to Cambrian's post....you might be surprised to know how many suspected hauntings turn out to be trespassers sneaking in & out of homes, living in basements or attics.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^now THAT is scary

Cambrian

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Thejesus I had a book that explained paranormal events documented by a US government agency back in 1959. These occurences were documented but could never be explained by any scientist that reviewed the facts of the case. It was one of those Hauntings categorized by each State books.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A list of haunted places by state. Thanks to whoever originally cited this site.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian:

So you're saying the government is made up of people who aren't all that bright?

Who knew?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwhh man! You should read that story. It had to do with caps popping off of bleach bottles. No matter what these scientists tried they could not re create the oddity. And yes it was witnessed by police. I think it was in the NY chapter. I may have that book still, but I suspect I loaned it out and never got it back. It was printed within the last 5 years though.

Bsu
Username: Bsu

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, I was wondering if there was any news about those overnight ghost tours of Fort Wayne? Me and my girlfriend are going to be downtown this weekend and wanted to do something different. I was also wondering if anyone knew how late in the season the fort would be open to the public?

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.ghosm.com

Ghost Hunters of Southern Michigan

Bsu
Username: Bsu

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Everydayislikesunday. I love this stuff and this time of year.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2893
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GHSM stinks. They dress up in Ghostbusters uniforms like they're frickin Peter Venkman.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on John, I know you want to go thier presentation this Saturday.

http://www.ghosm.com/ferndale. htm

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hacks, I tell you. You want to see a good presentation on those subjects?

http://www.weirdlectures.com/

Plymouthres

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bsu-

Just caught this thread again and I haven't heard about the Ghost encounter nights but I will check for you and report back here before the weekend.

Yes, the Fort is open this late in the season! Fall is a great time to view the Fort! There are tours available through the City of Detroit Recreation Department. The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition will be giving a special tour for a forum member and his family who requested it on Sunday.

Please feel free to come to the Fort this weekend. There will be much going on and it is a perfect time to see the changes that the Coalition and members of this forum have effected to the place. Things are really turning the corner there now, and there are aggressive plans to develope, preserve and restore it to it's true historical military stature.

Enjoy your weekend!

PlymouthRes
Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET's Detroit Today is looking for Ghost Stories for a Halloween Special. Don't know if they're looking for full scripts or just ideas, but for all you ghost lovers, there is a broadcast venue looking for content.

Detroittoday@wdet.org

http://www.wdetfm.org/detroitt oday/

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a related note, has anyone ever conducted ghost tours in Detroit? They're quite popular in many cities, having spread out from, I think, San Francisco. Done right, by an enthusiastic young person with some theatrical flair, they can be a really great tourist attraction--they give shivers to kids, but they're actually a kind of historical walking tour for the adults. In Detroit, with attractions spread out, they might need a short bus or something, but the raw material is certainly here.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The most important element in having an ghostly encounter is believing in them in the first place.

Best post on this thread.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghost hunters? Anyone else recall the gun store in the northeast suburbs that advertised guns for protection against "spooks?" Lasted about as long as the plans for the light-skinned Libra party of yesterday's news.

Seriously (or less so) - there was a group of crackpots who used to walk through Grandlawn (Telegraph & GR) with cameras. Came up with the usual "floating orb" shots...

Plymouthres

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the website of the folks that will be running the ghost tours at historic Fort Wayne. Dates and times are listed along with rules and other assorted stuff. Sorry it took so long to post these, but I just got the information confirmed this weekend!

http://www.detroitghosts.com/

Happy haunting!!

PlymouthRes
Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Committee

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.