Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 6,500,000 Reasons why Mayor Kilpatrick should leave office... « Previous Next »
Archive through September 15, 2007Broken_main30 09-15-07  8:52 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6520
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters must RECALL KWAME KILPATRICK before he plans another party out of our financial pockets.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As a voting Detroit resident I happen to be very happy. My lights are on. My trash is picked up. My street is in good shape. I just found out I am getting a new tree planted in front of my house. And I got a nice tax break. He keeps that up HE has my vote and my wife's vote as well."

I had to have a dead tree taken out this past spring and my city did it in two days, including grinding out the stump and putting in dirt and grass seed. I'm not going to pat my city officials on the back because of this, I'm paying taxes and I expect them to get these things done quickly and efficiently.

If I lived in Detroit I would vote for the challenger in every election. If nothing else it sends the message to politicians that they have to produce in a big way if they want to keep the job. The bar we set for politicians should be set extremely high.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjk, who did you call or the tree removal. Every number I have tried isn't in service.

Rjk

Post Number: 848
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I live in Madison Heights.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh okay...no wonder...lol

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 588
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone please post that Chris Rock skit where he talks about black fathers and what they are "supposed" to do.

"You supposed to have a job, you supposed to take care of ya kids...!"

If making sure that the basic resources are up and running are his only claims to fame then why is he a mayor?

A city manager, who wouldn't be paid SIX-FIGURES, could easily handle this responsibility and have less body guards and woudln't have to live in the Manoogian.

Its so disheartening knowing that we have such an immature and ignorant tyro in office.

I still can't believe that he actually won.

It must have been his "street vote"

Who the F%#k boasts about his "street vote" and still expects to have any sort of credibility?

This man is caught in between a bad episode of Yo! MTV Raps, Dolomite and that crazy preacher on You Tube.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice one Bussey...

I see it this way. We pay taxes for city services. Not for political mistakes by our elected officials. The citizens need to be more demanding as to what we want from our government. We should have the garbage collection, the street cleaned, safe streets etc.

We need the mayors office to assure US that we have the same protection that he has. I have always wondered why the mayor has to have so much protection. Who is trying to kill him? We deserve the same type of safety.

Get the drugs off of the streets. Work on a viable mass transit system. Convince more businesses to located here. Support the small business owners as well. That is where the money should be spent. Advertise the city as an entertainment destination in the region.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, if someone better comes along then so be it. Let me ask you...who is better that wants it now?

Do-do brain Ken Cockrel or any of the other yahoos on City council? Okaaaaaay.

No-inspiration (our very own loser version of John Kerry) Freman Hendrix? Not a chance.

Bumbling, idiotic Hansen Clark? I don't think so.

Things are moving in the right direction. This, if it did happen, was in the first term, along with all the other things you guys are pissed about. Has he done anything this term that you are mad about?

So far I'm happy with the following:

1. Normal city services like trash, yard waste, city dump, 311 response and police response to my community are good.

2. My taxes were just dramatically reduced, in part because of a bill that Kwame came up with (with the help of Sharon McPhail)

3. Downtown is looking fabulous for the first time in my memory (I'm 34) and the riverfront is actually being built.

4. I read about and see in action neighborhood action plans (Detroit Next). We're not on the list for this, but friends in Palmer Woods, Green Acres, EEV are and see a difference.

5. Cool things are back like the races on Belle Isle.

6. Roads are being paved everywhere it seems.

7. I know this is little but I've seen Lafayette street cleaned twice this summer...I've never seen that in my 12 years living downtown. And in general, streets outside of downtown seem cleaner.

So those are a few things I see. Things I'd want are achievable with more money, like way more police, snow removal (although my community association pays for street and sidewalk snow removal), curbside recycling, much stricter and better design building and planning restrictions.

quote:

If I lived in Detroit I would vote for the challenger in every election.

I wouldn't because I don't want the year-to-two-year learning curve. Unless things are HORRIBLE or the other candidate really offers change (which I don't see in anyone out there who has shown an interest in running), then I'm sticking with what's working right now.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 405
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entertainment factor is reduced to being the butt of jokes when this stuff (Kwame verdict) hits the front page.
If Detroiters are stupid enough to vote for him, they deserve to reap the benefits. Unfortunately, others outside Detroit will have their negative feelings about the city reinforced. Neither factor makes the city any safer or better to live in.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see what you are saying Quinn, that is why I am giving him somewhat of a chance to redeem himself.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liken Kwame to sirloin...to folks who have never had a filet mignon, Kwame seems alright.

FOlks, I've had filet mignon at Ruths Chris and let me tell you - a sirloin at Outback doesnt even compare.

Sure some streets are clean, sure some property taxes have been lowered, sure some developmental progress has been done in the area.

But have you ever been privy to real change? Have you seen a city like Providence (for example) come back to real revitalization? Have you seen a city with NO TRASH on the streets whatsoever. Have you seen a city whose government deals with the business of the city first, and press conferences later?

Kwame Kilpatrick will never fool me again (voted the first time) and I never forgive him for what he has done to my birthplace. You don't have to tell me to leave because I will be gone by June 08. I only hope that when I come back to visit that someone else is at the helm.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice statement Mrsjdaniels

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn: I've lived in Green Acres for the last 15 years. I see no difference (maybe I should be grateful).

Broken_main

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am wondering if anyone listened to the press conference the mayor held after the verdict(in front of the Spirit of Detroit). He made mention of some announcements that were going to be made by the end of the week on some new things happening in Detroit.

Has anyone heard of anything yet? Just wondering.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 589
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump Mrsjdaniels

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn nailed it... you need to really convince voters they HAVE to change to oust an incumbent - and that applies anywhere in this country.

I have accepted Kwame is going to be in. If a politician is survives their first challenge, in general, statistics show that they're in there for as long as they please.

This is but a blip - and as much as I see what some of you are saying, I see some of what Quinn is saying. You're both right. However, the stark political reality is that the mayor of Detroit isn't leaving office anytime soon.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

broken-main - he did say that..

and whatever happened to the Tuesday media briefs? weren't we supposed to get the good news then?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 425
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he is doing exactly what he needs to do to keep his job.

He is blaming the suburbs and whitey for all of his and Detroits problems.

Driving a wedge between the Detroit and the suburbs and playing the race card appeals to the lowest common denominator have always been the easiest way to gain popularity is Detroit.

"All y'all boy" is doing just fine.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrsjdaniels,

Always trying to divert the attention to something elese. What do you expect from a man who was raised to be a politician. Mommy had been calling him "the mayor" since he was a kid.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read a lot of the posts here. The Mayor is not going anywhere. My guess is most of the haters are non-Detroit voters. NO ONE in my neighborhood has complained at all. We just want to see progress continue. After hearing the one juror speak (he sounded like he should be in the KKK) out against the mayor helped confirm most people's minds that there may not have been a "fair" trail. I know that may make some people on here yell. But that is a perception that many people have. My wife works for the city and she said "even the one juror who was a Detroiter worked for the city and she was probably mad because all city employees took a 10% pay cut last year that was just restored in the Summer". So all in all I don't think this is going to hurt the mayor at all. He just needs to continue doing good things and making sure the place is clean, safe, and taxes are going down.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Grandmont, I work for the city as well. I haven't taken into consideration anything that the jurors have said. I speak as a resident(and worker) and since the 10% cut didn't affect me as much as it did the rest of the workers.

Let me say this(and I shouldn't, but I will) This is really not an issue about whether the party occurred or Kwame cheated on his wife. It was about did someone get dismissed wrongfully. My job duties include supervising employees, as well as the distribution and collection system and there are guidelines that must be followed when issuing disciplinary action and there are even more guidelines when the disciplinary action includes termination.

My neighbor who works for DPD(in a very high supervisory capacity) proved to me that the actions that were taken against those officers as "against the guidelines" in which to terminate. The mayor was a freshman and he wasn't up on all of the rules. this is why he is in a bind right now. He knows this and is just trying to make this right by continuing to fight. he will just make the city poorer. Even if I am in the minority, i will not stand for this to happen in my city.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think he was fired unfairly, from what I read I would have done the same. I think the jury was pre-prejudiced when they walked in. I also feel that the mayor probably did or has corrected things in his first time that he is correcting now. . All these charges are from 4 or more years ago! I didn't even vote for him originally - but I now see what is happening (all the good) and I think he is our best choice and we need to support him in all the right things that are happening. And Broken you can stand for all you want to stand for that is your right! At least with your opinion it counts for something because I believe you ACTUALLY live here.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I do live here. I am what you call one of the dedicated few city workers who actually live in the city I work for. Don't let me start another thread on residency. Then we will have a discussion up in here.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Speak up forum...waht does Kwame Kilpatrick need to do to keep his job ? "
First spelling-waht?
Very simple-just tell the ignorant blacks in town anyone running against him is the white man's AKA "Suburban" candidate-he'll win every time. The masses will vote him in again & again to show us whitey's they're boss in "THEIR" city. Simplest label: Call him or her an Uncle Tom or see Adolph Mongo,he'll come up with something.
FYI... it's the right of the residents to vote for whom they see fit to be mayor. Just don't wonder when your town is a laughingstock all across America. I've been traveling lately & I'm amazed to see Detroit's negative image from people that have visited the city and those that haven't-trust me it's real. Black or white folks it doesn't matter-seems almost everyone I've met traveling thinks Detroit's a " Hole".

Broken_main

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we all make typos Eric_w. This is a forum and it is everyone's right to be opinionated. Stick with the topic and not the spelling. Would you know what I was trying to say if I accidently typed "asshle" or "shithed" while referring to you? BTW, I am not calling you out or nothing just trying to show you how easy it is to mistypy (see there it goes again) words.

I do respect your input, by the way.

Eric_w

Post Number: 337
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I refered to you or someone else with an abbreviation or mis-spelled word like fukhed or dck I think you'd get it too. I do wonder why people don't do a quick proof read. I guess it's from my days in school when a premium was put on spelling.Not to beat the point like a dead horse but my post about the topic over 120 words.Two dealt with spelling & since it was the thread starter I considered it important.
I do believe 100% in the words I typed though- I've lived in Detroit & suburbs all my life over 50 yrs.
Regards

Broken_main

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand very well. I just didn't spell check. As with other issues in life, some things are just more important to some that other could care less about. For the forum's sake...I'll correct it for ya.

Speak up forum...what does Kwame Kilpatrick need to do to keep his job?

And now...back to the discussion!!

(Message edited by broken_main on September 16, 2007)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one way - the best way - for Detroit to cure it Mayoral woes is to abolish the office of Mayor....period.

Come back with a STRONG City Manager/City Council form of government; that way....if'n you don't like the leadership - you can fire the guy or gal.

By the way....I am available for the job - and all I require is a starting salary of $75,000.

Rjk

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't think he was fired unfairly, from what I read I would have done the same. I think the jury was pre-prejudiced when they walked in."

Either that or they heard/saw every second of the testimony (Not many can make that claim) and made a decision based on the evidence.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmontrules:

Your playing right into their strategy. Kwame's defense team knew the cops had a legitimate complaint and that the city would probably lose, and so they were betting that Kwame's supporters are SO DUMB that all the defense had to do was pick a suburban white jury then scream racism after the verdict came in in order to maintain Kwame's image in his supporters' eyes...

This is the reason they opted not to use their remaining 4 peremptory challenges during voir dire...

If they had a problem with the makeup of the jury, then they should have booted the ones they didn't like...but their failure to do so was not an error...it was a carefully calculated strategy designed to maximize this clown's chances of reelection in a city that is so full of racial tension that they will basically believe whatever they are told when their leaders play the race card...

sad really...no one loses here except the people of Detroit...I hope someone is able to open their eyes before the next election....there's no way this idiot is the best thing the city has to offer

Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really reluctant to weigh in on threads like this - they can get so ugly, so fast. But:

Politics in this REGION are fucked up, and have been for as long as I've been around (50yrs.). Here we are ripping or defending the Mayor as if there were no Brooks Pattersons, Ed McNamaras, and a host of other two-bit politicians playing to their bases. The region is mired in racism; even the majority who are people of general goodwill are hobbled by an underlying mistrust of the "other". The race baiters on both sides incite the haters and discourage much of the majority.

As an executive, the Mayor has improved a good deal since his first term, and under difficult circumstances. It would be refreshing, and I think useful, if the Mayor would simply acknowledge the mistakes of his first term and allow everyone to move on. He really has no reason to doubt his re-election - he can afford to be humble. He is not well served by the divisive remarks made by his family and himself.
He has shown talent as a conciliator in the State Legislature, and great promise in his second term. It is not inconcievable that he could yet go down as a great mayor.

(FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a white man, born in the city, raised in Livonia, graduated from a DPS High School, and have since lived in far NW, Grandmont 1, Warrendale, Downtown, and for the last 15 yrs, Green Acres.)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oliverdouglas, my friend, one need-not be black to do disservice as Mayor of Detroit; Louis Miriani comes to mind. Believe you me, plenty of black Detroit citizens have zero-love for the current mayor.

PS What high school did you attend?

Eric_w

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav's post is right on point. It makes great sense-so it will never happen.to Chuck-you're probably over qualified for the job-too smart & too honest

Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav - of course you're right on both counts, but I'm still confident that the Mayor will be re-elected as many times as he cares to run. That said, if he can continue to govern as he has in his second term, avoid the divisive rhetoric, and solicit help from every quarter, then he and the city could yet enjoy success. I certainly never meant to suggest (nor do I think that I did)that one need be black to do Detroit disservice.

Henry Ford '76. also UDM

(Message edited by oliverdouglas on September 17, 2007)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eric; Oliverdouglas (sorry for any impugning).

Detroit and other entities (up to, and including the U.S.A.) should be run as bonafide corporations; led by someone whose employment - if warranted - can more easily be terminated.

PS Henry Ford High School sure was a nice place; beautiful facilities - academic and athletic.
I had many friends there (through swimming and track).

Too Cool

Mackenzie '76

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5358
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well this next lawsuit ought to be interesting. Wondering what Carlita thinks about it?

I'm just glad that all the ones suing have been African-American. That playing the race card gets pretty stale...

It'll be interesting if KK's legal team uses the same tactic of allowing the use of a mostly white jury. If he does, and he loses again, and claims the race card again, and if a majority of Detroiters are dumb enough to believe it was racism again... well then we needn't wonder why some folks are scrambling to move to 32 Mile Rd.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

broken -

in regards to Kwame's announcement of future developments this past week, I know that one of them was the One Kennedy Square announcement. However, he wasnt present, but deputy mayor adams was.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Spirit

I figured that was one of them. I love how he "cliffhangs" his announcements. I saw someone in One Kennedy measuring the area inside te first floor. I wonder if they are going to be developing for retail/restaurant soon.

broken

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way the city is losing a variety of lawsuits, the city will go broke a lot sooner than later.
The improvements will pale if there isn't any money in city coffers.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to all the people complaining about not enough Blacks/Detroiters on Wayne County juries, perhaps if Detroiters actually showed up for jury duty this would be less of a problem...

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070918/NEWS01/ 709180313/1003

I'd ask KK and Judge Deborah Thomas to help explain this phenomenon, but they'd probably just blame the white man and call it a day...

Broken_main

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically, I mailed my Jury Questionnaire on the day that the trial started.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main:

Great. Now all you need to do is show up when they call you in

Broken_main

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always show up. 2 years ago when I served Jury duty, I was kept and the Judge was Bill Lucas. They selected the jury and then sent us out to lunch. One of the jurors said that the defendant was guilty in her eyes, while on the elevator. The judge gave us quite a lashing when we returned from lunch and granted a mistrial.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.