Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » YES! A list Detroit is glad to not be in the top ten of... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

form the NYT
"Housing Woes in Two Cities

The large number of vacant and abandoned houses in Buffalo — which ranks second only to St. Louis in the percentage of vacant properties per capita nationwide — is the subject of an article by Ken Belson.

In New York City, the problem is pretty much the opposite: Not enough housing. As Manny Fernandez explains, new Census data show that many New Yorkers are devoting more and more of their incomes to paying mortgages and rent. Homeowners in Brooklyn and renters in the Bronx are carrying the heaviest burdens, with many spending half or more of their monthly paychecks on housing.

Even so, The Daily News points out that more New Yorkers leave the city every year than move in. “The families most likely to flee New York are those with young children about to start school and those earning between $40,000 and $60,000 a year,” The News reports, citing Census data. "

The article in the paper this morning was much longer and more detailed. Detroit was not even on the list. Is this because Detroit has already knocked its empties down?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or because we've lost so much population in recent years that they don't even consider Detroit to be large enough for the list of cities anymore...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10142
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buffalo and St. Louis are much smaller population wise than Detroit.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was a joke

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4145
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bangladeshi community that has appeared Hamtramck's east side is a an example of some of those New Yorkers.

Michigan

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I am talking about Lowell, although on another thread. Detroit could be attracting these immigrant communities to live. It takes very aggressive and progressive policies by the area municipal governments.

You point out another important topic for the rebirth of Detroit- immigration. I would hazard a guess that new immigrants are more likely to move into slumping cities like Detroit than folks who are already established in the States.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10143
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it was a joke

I guess I need to refill my coffee.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my purely subjective experience from going many times to buffalo to visit good friends there is that there are far more densly occupied areas/larger contiguously occupied areas that what i've seen in detroit.

Michigan

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Gm, the article spoke specifically about the east side of Buffalo being affected.
They are trying to stop it there.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan, check out this related active thread:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/112823.html?1189300640

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.