Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Depressed, yet still industrious, metro Detroiter « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2767
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't say it wasn't thought out

wonder if he was a laid off engineer

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070912/NEWS02/ 70912100

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3210
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does seem like he was sending a message.

Perhaps the message was that even ingenuity isn't enough to save yourself from this world?

(Message edited by Jimaz on September 12, 2007)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of a short subject that used to air on cable as a filler. It showed a workman constructing something massive of wood and steel and in the end it turned out to be a huge mousetrap. Which he, after leaving a note to his wife, succumbed to it's deadly snap.

Wondering if this was that guys inspiration. Truly a sad story.

Folks like that need to realize no matter how bad things seem at present for them, it will get better. Some way, some how. Even if a person loses everything and has to sleep in their car or in the woods. It's all just stuff and can be replaced. There is always a way out and ending it all is not it. No Job, Woman or House or anything else is worth a life. As Woody Guthrie sang "There's better days a comin" And they did.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WRIF has been running adds for a Suicide Help Line. I wonder if suicides are up around here? I went through my life change 5 years back reversal of fortune, end of marriage. Thankfully Suicide never seemed a solution to me. Good family and friends to thank. We can endure much more than we ever think possible. Too bad this guy didn't give himself a chance.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder if suicides are up around here?"

I've wondered that, too. I suspect they are.
That guy in the police situation at the hotel on Eight Mile a short time ago had just lost his job.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4142
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is unusual for someone to do so much preparation for a suicide. I am very sorry for the troubled soul.

But... I have to confess that there is a lot of dark humor lurking in a headline that reads, "Melvindale man kills self with homemade guillotine". C'mon, even the headline masters at National Enquirer would be heard pressed to come up with on as good as that.

I am reminded of a cartoon where a man with his head in a guillotine asks the hooded executioner, "Did you ever have a song that you just couldn't get out of your head?"

Lilpup

Post Number: 2769
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is unusual for someone to do so much preparation for a suicide"

It isn't, actually. The act itself is often spontaneous, but the planning can go on for some time. Some people even give away their things, or clean up loose business, financial, or certain personal matters, or even make rounds saying subtle good-byes.

In all the crying about handgun violence it's rarely, if ever, mentioned that handgun suicides outnumber handgun homicides every year.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re dark humor two things popped up for me:

(1) He kept the receipts?!?

and

(2) Melvindale? ... I dunno about that ... Harper Woods, absolutely, I can totally see that ... but Melvindale? ... I dunno ...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick and efficient, Maximilien Robespierre would be proud.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.