Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit council members balk at body overseeing new shopping development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...But the board overseeing the development, under the law, would be composed entirely of mayoral appointees, and that concerned some council members even though they would have the authority to reject the mayor’s appointees. Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins, chairwoman of the council’s Planning and Economic Development Committee, said she fears the authority will be stocked with persons who have an investment stake in the mall.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070912/NEW S01/70912050

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh God, and so it begins. Greed, corruption and yet again more political BS!

I miss Archer.

<313>

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am BLOWN AWAY!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the sort of thing that defies attempts at satire.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st appointment - C. Beatty as treasurer

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like Barbara Rose Collins missed the part where "oversight" is defined. Apparently, she doesn't trust her fellow Council members.

Over-react first, think later!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is the sort of thing that defies attempts at satire"

i thought it was satire...

Professorscott

Post Number: 739
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if there's a term for self-satire. But it's satire no matter how it comes down. I can only see two possibilities:

1. The Mayor can appoint whoever he likes, and Council just has to okay (or not) the appointments, or

2. Council exercises "oversight". Can you see the board members quaking with fear: "Oh my God," they would be saying to each other, "we had better watch ourselves; the Detroit Common Council is overseeing us."

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9801
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Windsor. Maybe both mayors and both councils could go bowling together and we can then set fire to the bowling alley.

Professorscott

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No; no use ruining a perfectly good bowling alley. Make it a strip club; we have plenty of both, and some posters on this board wouldn't mind for there to be one fewer. Make it one of ours though; the ones in Windsor are nicer.

I hear.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the deal with the tax funding the construction? Maybe a portion of the construction, but the whole thing? That can't be right. Anyone know the details?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins, chairwoman of the council’s Planning and Economic Development Committee, said she fears the authority will be stocked with persons who have an investment stake in the mall."

This Collins lady sounds pretty slow. The authority SHOULD be stocked with those that have an investment stake in the mall! That is the purpose! Giving control to some random people would be like the difference between someone that rents and owns a house--those that own have a STAKE in their property and therefore do a better job with it! What a retarded lady.

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that General Growth was developing the project.... Can someone fill me in on the necessity or reasoning for having a municipal board overseeing the project beyond the usual approvals involved?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FROM THE FREEP ARTICLE: "A new state law enacted this year is designed to give Detroit the tax structure it needs to build the Shoppes at Gateway Park development. Through the collection of the added tax revenues that will come from transforming the now vacant property, city taxes will pay for its construction."

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Archer too.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean this Barabra Rose Collins?.
Barbara Rose-Collins incredible explanation for her no vote:? re: The Zoo operations vote
"This is not a plantation," Collins said. "We are not owned by everyone else. Black folks are not owned by white folks anymore. I made the point Saturday that the state Legislature was pimping the City of Detroit, and that we should not play the role of prostitute. That upset a lot of people, but I stand by my words. The symbolism is that Detroit is a black city, and we're not able to govern ourselves. It's a racist attitude and I resent it."

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Mrs. Collins is any indication of the city council, call me crazy, but honestly I think that I like the Mayor Kilpatrick better.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Corridor Improvement Authority is virtually the same thing as a Downtown Development Authority. Council doesn't seem to have any problems with the city's DDA (the DEGC staffs it) and how it's board is appointed.

Professorscott has it right, just like the DDA, the Mayor appoints members and Council votes yes or no on the nomination. That's their control over this Corridor Improvement Authority. Sounds like they'll have the ability to keep folks off that they don't like.

The way the funding works on this Corridor Improvement Authority thing is that a Tax Increment Financing Authority (TIFA) is set up. The city's tax rate on the property is frozen at it's current assessed value. Any increase in property values (the increment), which results in increase tax values, is put into the CIA's pot. They can use these revenues to pay bonds, do maintenance of public areas, hire staff, do marketing, etc. It's the same basic idea as brownfields. I don't understand what the big hoopla is about.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRC is an embarrassment.
She has never received my vote and never will!

Why couldn't stakeholders be on the board? They actually have more to lose if the place fails than a colleague of BRC, plus they get final approval anyway. I have an idea, BRC should mention her awesome track record of maintaining her investment properties in Detroit, and then appoint herself, that should help!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2378
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BRC and her fellow council members can approve who sits on the board. If she doesn't like someone, then she needs to convince her fellow council members why that person shouldn't sit on the board. Maybe she feels that she doesn't have enough weight to persuade her fellow council members so complaining about the set-up of the board for the Shoppes at Gateway is all she can do. Make a noise and get the public upset and maybe the public will come to her rescue. Sounds like typical BRC.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.