Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New official U.S. Census population results Metro Detroit areas. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6499
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!! This is amazing.

New ethnic population results for most Metro Detroit area.

For Detroit:

83% Black (696,000, a 2% increase)

10% white 82,000, a 1% decrease)

6.2% Hispanic (51,000, a 0.9% increase)

4% Arabs and East Indian Muslims and Chaldean Christians mixed. (43,000, a 1.2% increase)

1.1% Asian (9,200 0.0000234% increase)

Sudden migration of blacks from New Orleans after hurricane Katrina made it possible for new black low-income residents. However Black fight still continues. Detroit's White population by older empty nesters are moving out, but new demand housing in Downtown and Midtown areas made it possible for hip cool skinny jean white kids.
Mexicans and Hispanics are making a quick growth around the Southwest Detroit areas and poised to expand their communities up to the lower west side.

Ethnic Arabs, East Indians and Chaldeans Christians are expanding their growth in 5 selected Detroit ghettohoods near the suburban borders. In the meantime Detroit's population now stands at 823,000 and it declining. The population rebound will happen in the next 20 to 50 years when the Mexicans, Hispanics, younger Whites, Asians filled up most of the once dominant black Detroit ghettohoods.

Warren (129,000)

White 82.5% (108,813)

Black 9.9% (13,115)

Asian 4.9% (6,461)

Hispanic 1.8% (2,366)

Black flight from Detroit made it possible them to move into most Warren neighborhoods. White flight has begun in Warren, especially in most South Warren neighborhoods. Warren is NO LONGER the biggest populated suburb in the Metro-Detroit area. Sterling Heights is declared the Winner! It's amazing that Warren went a booming population of 170,000 in 1970 to 129,000 in 2006.
By the year 2030 Warren's Black population will continue to increase to over 40%.

Southfield (70,808)

Black 65.8% (46,594)

White 30.1% (21,302)

Southfield has lost a lot of its Ethnic Chaldean, Jewish communities in the last 30 years. Plus it had lost over 8,000 people. White flight made it possible for Southfield's population decline. Black flight from Detroit had increase its population. By the year 2030 Southfield's black population will be over 90%.

Troy (80,125)

White 75.8% (60,766)

Black 4.9% (3,943)

Asians 16.0% (12,789)

Troy has experienced a sudden Asian population explosion. By 2030 its population would increase to 35%. What a start for a new Chinatown!

It's white population has lost over 1,000 people. But white flight will not be a factor for Troy. It would rebound after 2020.

Blacks will make a slow increase into Troy in the next 20 years.

Dearborn (101,232)

White/Arab Muslims mixed 88.9% (89,984)

Black 5.4% (5,509)

Asians 2.5% (2,538)

Mexican/ Hispanic mixed 2.4% (2,430)

Dearborn has regained back up to 100,000 people in 20 years due to sudden explosion of Arab Muslims but its white population is slowly decreasing.

Its black population had increased slowly by 2%. Once a deeply Orville Hubbard controlled segregated city now welcomes people of all races.

The Ethnic Mexican/Hispanic population has been decreased by 1.3%. Most of them had migrated back to SW Detroit, Downriver areas or any other successful Mexican/Hispanic communities.

Sterling Heights (133,986)

White 87.0% (116,553)

Black 5.0% (6,678)

Asian 5.6% (7,465)

Hispanic 1.9% (2,560)

The White population in Sterling Heights has grown very quickly along the rest of the Macomb County cities over 20 Mile Rd. This could a safe haven for them to escape the black population in the inner ring suburbs.

The black population has also grown by 2%. By 2030 it would increase to 30% the white flight will begin in Sterling Heights after 2015.

The Asian population has also grown by 2%. they will contribute to the growth until new housing in the Ex-urbs happen. CONGRADUATIONS STERLING HEIGHTS. YOU'RE NOW THE BIGGEST SUBURB IN METRO-DETROIT YAY!!!

Westland (87,489)

White 80.0% (69,984)

Black 14.0% (12,226)

Asian 2.1% (1,809)

Hispanic 3.4% (2,953)

The white flight has begun in Westland. The city had lost over 7,000 people a 7% decrease.

The Black population suddenly boomed by 7.1% in the last 7 years. This is due to the migration from Inkster, Detroit and other places. By 2030 The black population would increase to over 30%.

The Hispanic population had also increased by 2%.

Pontiac (69,394)

White 33.6% (23,282)

Black 51.5% (35,720)

Asian 1.6% ( 1,144)

Chaldean 10.8% (7,472)

Mexican/Hispanic 14.7% (10,193)

Pontiac has rebound tremendously in the past 10 years.

However white flight in Pontiac has begun. It's population decreased by 6%.

Its black population increased by 4% By 2030 it would increase to over up to 70% and then decrease to 50% by 2060 due to rising housing costs and more fast growing ethnic populations.

The Chaldean and other race had increased very quickly due by 4% to the lure of new housing in Pontiac's north side.

The Hispanic/Mexican population has increased by 1%. So far there is no conglomerate Mexican/Hispanic retail community, yet! Someday there will a Mexican/Hispanic retail community in the next 30 years.

Detroit could learn from Pontiac.

Clinton TWP. (90,404)

White 89.5% (80,926)

Black 6.7% (6,042)

Hispanic 2.3% (2,037)

Clinton TWP. Is one of the fast growing cities in Macomb County under 20 mile Rd. by 2020 it population would reach over 100,000 people

It's white population decreased by 1,000 people but it would rebound in a couple years.

It's black population increase by 2.1% A recent Africantown had been set up along 15 mile Rd. just east of Gratiot Ave.

It's Hispanic population has increased by 1.5%.

Livonia (99,304)

White 94.4% (93,792)

Black 0.9% (889)

Hispanic 1.9% (1,896)

Livonia still remains the whitest 6x6 mile city in all of Wayne County.

The white population has rebound by 4,000 people in the last 5 years.

The black population has decreased by 61 people. Racial profiling by Livonia Police Force and the opt out of the SMART bus transportation made it possible slow down black population growth. But as soon as Redford TWP. gains some black folks Livonia black population would increase by 20% after 2020.

The Hispanic population had increased by 1%.

Canton TWP. (92,284)

White 73.8% (68,142)

Black 7.2% (6,685)

Asian 14.8% (13,644)

Hispanic 2.8% (2,607)

Canton TWP. is one the populated boomtowns of the 21st Century.

It's white population increased by 1,000 people.

It's black population increased by over 2,000 people

Canton experienced a fast growing Asian community next to Troy and Farmington Hills and it increased by 6%.

Any comments?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10126
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My comments:

Regarding Detroit:

10% white 82,000, a 1% decrease. Those numbers would be different if all of the people in the greater downtown area actually listed thier real address as their home, not another address for insurance savings.

I don't blame them trying to save some cash but I suspect that the count is underrepresented, just my guess.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is every category in Detroit increasing by a percentage point and yet the city's population according to that list is still around 881 thousand?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10128
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Detroit is showing with about 104.3% so the numbers probably aren't exactly factual. Guess I shoudl have checked that prior to my original post.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Detroit is showing with about 104.3% so the numbers probably aren't exactly factual. Guess I shoudl have checked that prior to my original post.

LOL. You've been had.

Danny

Post Number: 6500
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also Other cities in Metro Detroit is getting closer to become mostly black.

OAK PARK

ECORSE

RIVER ROUGE

Other Metro-Detroit cities receiving more black folks.

Redford TWP. up to 15%.

Eastpointe up to 12%.

Harper Woods up to 13%.

St. Clair Shores. up to 7%.

Farmington Hills up to 16%.

West Bloomfield TWP. up to 7%.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

link please

Falstaff
Username: Falstaff

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Danny,

Just jumped off the US Census web site and it doesn't support your numbers AT ALL!

Are you rehashing warmed over figures from SEMCOG? They have never been right with numbers.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I never received a Census Form in the mail, never saw an enumerator at the door. I think he pulled these numbers out of his butt.

I guess I will have to wait till the REAL CENSUS in 2010.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers totaled over 100% because some of those figures aren't used the same by the Census Bureau.

For one, Arabs and Jews are enumerated as Caucasians. For another, Hispanic doesn't relate to race but to language.

Due to no link nor source being offered, I wouldn't consider Danny's figures useful for any purpose.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Those numbers would be different if all of the people in the greater downtown area actually listed thier real address as their home, not another address for insurance savings.

Insurance companies love it when people lie to them when buying insurance. It makes it so much easier for them to deny a claim. No insurance company pays a claim without a thorough investigation first. If lying about your address is such a common practice, I’m sure the insurance companies are hip to it.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 983
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

really ramcharger?? ive had 3 claims and no real check.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midterm census reports from the Bureau are pretty speculative. The census uses a lot of trend data but the data points (like building permits and demolition rates) that are used to establish the trends are not updated very often. As I understand it, Detroit's massive demolition spree (though largely slowed) and low building permit rate have helped contribute to underestimates of its population on the midterm results.

It's kind of funny that people go crazy against sampling when sampling is essentially how all of the midterm results are computed.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the mackcreative census of current phrases:

"hip cool skinny jean white kids"=tired Detroityes! cliche

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West Bloomfield TWP. up to 7%: So like 2 black folks moved into West Bloomfield, bumping the population up 7% from 18 to 20?

Since Sterling Heights is more populated than Warren, is it now the famed 3rd largest city in Michigan? If so, will Warren be required to remove their signs proclaiming themselves as the 3rd largest?

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that the median household income dropped from 2000 to 2006 for every city listed.

http://info.detnews.com/graphi cs/2007/census_big_gfx_091207. pdf

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 738
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor,

Brooklyn, New York, which hasn't even been a city since 1898, still has signs up proclaiming it as the 4th largest city in the United States.

So I wouldn't expect Warren to be tearing signs down any time soon.

Huggybear has a good point, too; the Census Bureau actually does an official count only once each decade. The mid-decade numbers are just estimates, not worth any more or less than the numbers SEMCOG provides even more frequently.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im still trying to figure out where those white residents of Detroit are residing. That figure isnt referring to whites of European decent I gather. Chaldeans and some hispanics are lumped and dumped into the white category.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if census.gov published those interesting analysis about skinny jean white people and black ghettohoods too.
Terry, Hispanic is by self-classification. Most identify as Hispanic AND other. Other identify as Hispanic and white or and black.
4% Middle Eastern is way too high. Most I've ever seen is around 1%.
I suspect Jt1 is right about downtown, but most especially about Midtown. It is highly probable that most of the students, renters, lofters, whatever, from the suburbs, never changed their address.
The 10% white is probably right.
To figure out who lives where, this is the best site. It tends to clear things up.
http://www.detroitrising.com/p rofiles.htm
In much of the inner-city, whites make up a fraction of a percent. In SW Detroit; Corktown, they have near a majority. Peripheral neighborhoods like Warrendale, EEV, and the neighborhoods around 8mile usually have a sizable white minority, along with downtown, midtown, Indian Village, and the Riverfront. So taken all together, it makes more sense.

All that said, Danny has some good insights, but I'm pretty sure none of these figures came from anything near an official source.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 526
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Deteamster. I knew Southwest had a large white community. Michigan and Martin. Springwells.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3931
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much of those listed parts of SW Detroit are probably 90% to 95% Caucasian/Hispanic/Arab. But that part by Lincoln Park--not so...

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're given specious statistics at best, and here some are speculating anyway. Who's been had?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3932
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was stated on the news either yesterday or today that the Asians were the second-largest minority group in metro Detroit. It further mentioned that 75% of adult Asians had college degrees.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5324
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears (according to the Detroitrising website) that the only majority white neighborhood left on the entire east side of Detroit is the Balduck Park neighborhood (also known as Cornerstone Village), which is near St. John Hospital and borders East English Village on the west (Cadieux Rd.), I-94 on the north, Harper Woods/Grosse Pointe Woods on the east, and Grosse Pointe Farms/City on the south.

All other majority white neighborhoods left in Detroit are on the west side.

Danny

Post Number: 6509
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Gistok,

Balduck Park neighborhood (also known as Cornerstone Village), is now officially black. It was mostly white until the year 2000. As more black folks coming from the Morningside communities, they started but buy those beautiful back homes. In a matter of fact when I was walking down that area near the Grosse Pointe Woods border. They are few black started to move into those apts near Harper (I-94) FWY from Moross the other neighborhoods. BOY! they must love those homes. Few white folks had begun their flight, but will they hold those homes in Grosse Pointe Woods? I'll wait 20 years and see.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was stated on the news either yesterday or today that the Asians were the second-largest minority group in metro Detroit. It further mentioned that 75% of adult Asians had college degrees.

If you want to lump Indians into that category, then yes. By the same logic you'd have to place Iraqi's, Iranians, etc., in the same category... which doesn't appear to be what they did when I read the article in the DNews.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11678
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ah yes, ghettomath at it's finest!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Day off from the Casino Sporto?

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread needs some clarification.

Since the 2000 Census individuals are allowed to pick more than one race as their self-identified race.

So, if a person checks off both the box for 'white' and 'black' in the race category, it is possible that they could get counted twice when disaggregating numbers. If the person doing the analysis is not careful, the total population may exceed 100%.

http://www.census.gov/prod/200 1pubs/c2kbr01-1.pdf

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia is not white anymore largely due to the loss of the buses. People are now forced to move next to the new Wal-Mart and walk to work.

SMART and DDOT are both failures as social welfare programs. These organizations no longer receive federal or state funds for the low-income or the handicapped according to recent statistics from the FTA. It is now the responsibility of city hall in Livonia to fund these groups. And, Wal-Mart.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 985
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in and grew up in Balduck Park area last time I lived their was 2003. My step dad still owns a home their but he cant seem to find a buyer. It was pretty much all white when I was growing up. It is not so much anymore. Most of the people who lived their had sent their kids to regina, notre dame and bishop gallagher but they are not open anymore. The pure reason for the change in this neighborhood is when the police were allowed to move out of the city all our white neighbors left, also my step dad(DPD) who is little slow moving finally moved to north warren last year.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Train said "Livonia is not white anymore" and nobody bothered to challenge him? Boy, we all must be tired today.

By the way, Train, DDOT route 38 (Plymouth) goes quite a ways into Livonia. Runs all day; check it out. Which is ironic, if you understand what the real issue was in "non white" Livonia.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3933
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blacks have been systematically overcounted in the Census for quite some time. Some put the black percentage at 13%. It's quite a bit lower if enumerated on a percentage-black basis.

Before there was a provision for fractional ancestry, the various governments would consider one with one "black" grandparent as being 100% black as far the government agencies were concerned.

Sprinkle in benefits derived from being so labelled as "black" and it's easy to see just why one so listed as being black would not object. There are instances where upper middle-class "1/4" blacks would scoop up affirmative action benefits over their neighbors in wealthy districts, etc.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on September 13, 2007)

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3232
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Danny: It is as Zulu has said all along...

There will be an increasing amount of African Americans that will reside in Detroit, as migrations from other Black cities- Saginaw, Flint, Benton Harbor continue....Coupled with African Migrations (Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia) and some migrations from the south (either Detroit repatriation from people moving back to the D or people taking jobs in large Detroit Companies.

The projected Hispanic "take over" or the speculated white " regentrification" could numerically happen only in about 50 or 60 years, given current trends.

(To others this is a longstanding debate with Danny and I)

The slow down in the housing market will stem the tide of Blacks leaving Detroit, if mot actually return some folks to live with parents, especially if they get caught in the balloning mortgage thing.

The entire region will see a spreading and growth of the African American population.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, you may well be right, but coming from CA I have to laugh at this whole Black-White thing as both groups are about to be ground to demographic pulp by the Asians and Hispanics.

In 2500, the last white man and the last black man will be living next door to each other somewhere in Oakland County, still rehashing 700 years worth of racial controvery, their disputes and cultures pounded into irrelevancy.

I'm having my kids learn Mandrin and plan on marrying them off to some Chinese girls. The We Sicilians have always survived years of external domination by adeptly switching our gene pool to the winning team, be that the Normans, the Africans, T=the Romans, or now the Chinese.

Danny

Post Number: 6517
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu_warrior,

There will be FEWER blacks from all over the world who want to come to Detroit to stay, but only for a while when they finally start to recognize all the empty promises from the poor schools, city services and politics. Later they may want to move away or to the suburbs. Black flight in Detroit has begun. Even during the last 15 years the over 106,000 blacks left Detroit, a population the went from 802,000 to 696,000. The U.S. Census data is now fixed for the moment, but wait until next year when the data population suddenly changes. If the black population of Detroit is still declining, then my theory could be right.

Danny

Post Number: 6518
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way the U.S. population data is based on estimative projections not the REAL population. So the REAL population for blacks in Detroit must be between 690,000 to 679,000 based upon the percentage of negative eleven.

Danny

Post Number: 6519
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will Sterling Heights have a booming population of 200,000 by 2050? Surely the city have plenty of jobs, an industrial base and good homes.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5539
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba goes by auto insurance policies. They show that nobody lives in Detroit. There are more cars registered in the Detroit suburbs than there are cars or drivers living there.

It is nice to see that nobody lists Ann Arbor as a suburb. Keep up the good work, Ghettoman.

jjaba, Westsider tels it like it tis.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.