Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bill Bonds: Still at it « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from Laydell Harper's "Community Affairs" column in the Monitor, which is always worth reading. This column was devoted to a memorial service held for former Detroit journalist Chauncey Bailey, murdered after investigating Your Black Muslim Bakery in Oakland, CA.

"Bill Bonds, former WXYZ-TV news anchor, was also a speaker. 'Journalism is a lonely business. It's you and what you think. That guy was gifted,' Bonds said (pointing to a picture collage of Chauncey at the front of the room). 'It has to do with our inalienable rights--life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Right now, I know more about Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Vick than my congressman and George Bush.'"

That same sort of reckless careening among half-digested big ideas that made his newscasts such an adventure to watch--still on full display!

(Message edited by texorama on September 10, 2007)

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our current crop of anchormen are no comparison to the "old school" favorites of mine, Mort Crim and Bill Bonds.

Totally different in styles, but both were very commanding.

Here's a little perez action:

e

Anyone know what the tv news rating is for Detroit now? I know that in the 80's we were still a top market (for advertising / viewers etc.)

BTW...at least we still have Carmen. Love her.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>I know that in the 80's we were still a top market (for advertising / viewers etc.)

No longer a top 10. Now ranked 11...

ETA: The Detroit market will probably be overtaken by Phoenix very soon, as well. So it will probably settle into the #12 spot.

(Message edited by iheartthed on September 10, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5297
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless Phoenix has a metro population of over 5 million (which I can't believe) how are we rated at #11??

Philadelphia gets to include Camden NJ, NYC includes parts of New Jersey and Connecticut in their market. And yet we can't include Essex County Ontario, and on some lists we don't include Ann Arbor. Even Flint, Toledo and Port Huron/Sarnia get Detroit stations, but are they included in our market.... probably not.

That's why I always take lists with a grain of salt... they're often less meaningful than one would think.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this is the Nielsen DMA list which includes Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw, Livingston, St. Clair, Lapeer and Sanilac counties. Lenawee was removed in the past 3 years(?) and included in the Toledo DMA.

They do a separate system for Canada, which if they included out to London would probably boost Detroit to 5 or 6 temporarily. But these other metropolises like Dallas, Atlanta and Phoenix are still growing incredibly fast, so emphasis on temporary (as the American side of metro Detroit is not growing). Even the older metros like DC and NYC are continuing to grow, although at a slower rate than the new big cities.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew! For a minute there when I read the thread title I thought he got popped for DUI again.

Gistok

Post Number: 5298
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Iheartthed, it is kinda funny how they include Lapeer and Sanilac counties, but not Genessee (Flint). Sanilac County is much farther from Detroit than Genessee County is. That's why I take the list with a grain of salt.

They do similar gerrymandering for Census Metro Area rankings. There's parts of other metro areas that have towns and cities included that are much farther away from their central cities than Flint, Toledo and Ann Arbor are to Detroit.

So part of the problem is that the Detroit (TV) market DOES include Flint, Toledo, as well as Essex and Lambton Counties in Ontario. They're just not included into the tally for other reasons.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, in 2006 the city of Phoenix was at 1.5-1.6 million, and the Phoenix MSA was 4-4.1 million. Not sure what's included (Maricopa county was about 3.7 million).

Gistok

Post Number: 5300
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jiminnm, I didn't realize it was that high already. Sounds like they could run out of water in a few years! Hard to believe that the Colorado River water can sustain all that growth in Arizona AND Nevada. I'm sure that with Tuscan also growing fast, any aquafiers in both areas must be getting pretty low!

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if Channel 7 did a Spanish language version they would get higher ratings. :-)

Univision #1 Network for Entire Week Beating ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and CW

Thursday September 6, 1:04 pm ET

"Adios" to Separate Hispanic Ratings and "Hola" to Single National Service

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070906 /20070906005934.html?.v=1

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Maybe network TV is more tolerable when you don't know what they're saying, lol.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Bonds was an occasional visitor at a neighbor's home in the early 90's. My mother said that his driving was rather "erratic" when he would leave in the evening...He's not my favorite anchorperson, I much prefer the more subdued style of Huel Perkins.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Quinn, nice collage. The old-school vets were/are THE best. I do miss Bill Bonds and Mort Crim. They were the masters! HANDS DOWN!

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as we're comparing Billy to current anchors, here's a question:

Do you think any current anchor - even if they had the same talent - would be allowed to rant, tell stories, etc like Bill Bonds did? Put another way, do we not have a character like Bill on TV today because of a lack of talent, or is it because in todays climate no one is allowed to become a character like Bill Bonds was?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So part of the problem is that the Detroit (TV) market DOES include Flint, Toledo, as well as Essex and Lambton Counties in Ontario. They're just not included into the tally for other reasons.

Maybe because Toledo, Flint, and Windsor have their OWN television stations?

Just a stupid thought.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Bill and Mort didn't have cable competition like the new guys have to contend with now.
That said, it seems like today's news people are light weights and air heads who seem to change from week to week.
A cut throat business to be sure but it's too bad there aren't any charismatic newsmen around.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you think any current anchor - even if they had the same talent - would be allowed to rant, tell stories, etc like Bill Bonds did?

Unfortunately no. That was an era of machismo, ala Will Farrel's "Anchorman."

Skyrockets in flight...afternoon delight..." http://youtube.com/watch?v=st8E9L2Uqmk

d

The closest we have is John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.