Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Racial Issue « Previous Next »
Archive through September 07, 2007Accraghana30 09-07-07  11:28 am
Archive through September 07, 2007Perfectgentleman30 09-07-07  12:53 pm
Archive through September 07, 2007Accraghana30 09-07-07  8:14 pm
Archive through September 09, 2007Dds30 09-09-07  4:09 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, what about Taylortucky, Garbage City, and Wasteland.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the person out of wherever, and put them on a street downtown. That should equalize things.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think white folks accept the white trash element among us and make excuses for their failure you are wrong. That is one reason whites do not see these problems to the same degree as some minorities, there are still severe social stigmas attached to doing stupid things that mess up your life and the community.

I think when a minority person fails, even when it is due to their own poor decisions, the first culprit is always the white-run system that is supposedly rigged against them. How racist whites are forcing people they don't even know to exhibit self-destructive behavior I don't know.

Kaptansolo -

My point is there would be more economic activity in the city if some of these social problems were remedied. For example, having babies you are unable to care for is putting you in the child at risk, as these kids are growing up without fathers, the chances of them ending up being involved in crime is huge. The crime rate and the chaos in the schools then drives productive job providers out of the city which means less opportunity for those left behind. It is all inter-connected.

They will not come back in unless the root causes are addressed with public safety being the number 1 priority. Talk to most people who left the city and that is what they will tell you.

There are lots of folks who started out working at McDonalds and other service jobs and moved up the ladder both within those companies and through other opportunities. Having any job at all is better than none. Once you sit home and are paid for doing nothing it robs you of your incentive and drive.

quote:

Take the person out of wherever, and put them on a street downtown. That should equalize things.

That would be an interesting experiment. If someone took away every thing I have and dumped me downtown I would be out of there within minutes. I would only repeat the steps I took to get wher I am now. I have freinds and family that I could stay with temporarily while I got back on my feet.

I have marketable skills that I could leverage to get work. There would be no need for government assistance. This is another reason a strong family unit is essential to society. Would it be more challenging if I were a black person? Perhaps but that doesn't change the course of action.

We all need role models, support and encouragement at times. A city that is made up of 1000's of broken homes does not provide the foundation for that. The liberals and government types think the void can be filled with social programs and the like but the evidence is there for everyone to see that it is not working.

Juan Williams says it better than me:

The way I would say it, is this: Let’s start with the basics: You have a 25 percent poverty rate in black America. It’s about 12 percent nationally. It’s of course higher when you look at black children. So the question becomes, how can you help these people? Lots of people say that nothing can be done – especially if they live in bad neighborhoods, or they come from a broken family, there’s no dad around, or there’s criminality in the neighborhood and these are the role models they have. I say, "Wait a second." In “Enough,” I say there are some basic principles that people can follow and they can make sure their children are aware of these principles as they try to go forward.

Number One, graduate from high school. Don’t listen to anybody who says “Oh, that’s not a great school. You can go out and be a rapper or a basketball player or stay on the corner and sell drugs.” Forget it. Graduate from high school. In a global economy, where there is competition and jobs are being outsourced, you must have an education – certainly a high school education. I prefer you have more, but you must have a high school education.

The second thing, once you graduate from high school, stay in the job market. Don’t listen to people who tell you “Oh that job is demeaning or you’ll just be flipping burgers.” Stay in the job market, build a resume, get the job experience and that will lead you to come into contact with people who know about other jobs and other opportunities – and then you’ll be prepared when those job opportunities come your way.

The third thing is, don’t get married until you’re in your twenties. And then, finally, don’t have a baby until you’re married, because obviously if you have a baby when you are single or when you are a young person and not fully mature, you’re not ready for that responsibility and maybe, worst of all, you’re not ready to be a parent. And parenting and families, for me, are the foundation of what carried African-Americans, white Americans – everybody - - through every storm.

Accraghana
Username: Accraghana

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG, the history that I recall was one in which the civil war was fought to preserve the union, not to end or repair damage done from slavery. The Great society programs were general policies aimed at ending poverty…and they actually worked to reduce abject poverty in the nation greatly, but it was not designed to repair the cultural, psychological and geographical, if not economical, damage done to black people from slavery and oppression. Segregation and Jim Crow existed hand and hand with the Great Society Programs of Roosevelt and Segregation and Jim Crow greatly assisted the perpetuation of black poverty. So no Great Society program that did not attempt to dismantle segregation and Jim Crow can be argued as a serious attempt to reconcile America’s responsibilities to black citizens. The civil rights movement was essentially blacks fighting to end oppression and laws that helped keep blacks down. Remember, there is a difference between ending oppressive laws and repairing damages done. If I took a bat to you car the first thing that you would need to do is get me to stop hitting it with the bat. That is what the Civil Rights movement essentially did…it stopped the legalized assault. However, once I stopped hitting your car with the bat…. you are then left with a badly damaged car. Succeeding in stopping me hitting your car with the bat does not serve as the negation of my starting to strike your car with the bat. What needs to be reconciled is the damage done in between the start and the stop…. which simply stopping does not do. In regards to Affirmative Action, the primary beneficiary of this program has been a white woman. With black unemployment and poverty rates consistently nearly 3 times the rates of whites, affirmative action can hardly be seen as sufficient.

You keep mentioning these “others” who have overcome what blacks have experienced. Before we go there, you need to establish some sort of credibility that others have indeed had “the black experience”. The groups and people that I know who historically have been oppressed migrated or invaded some other lands where they found people to oppress and lift themselves up. The problem with white on white racism is that it is not very efficient when you are not sure if the person is a member of the “out” group or not. If an Irish person did not have an accent or an Irish name, could you be confident that they are Irish…. as confident as you could be that a black person was not indeed a white person? This is why white on white discrimination lost its potency after a while. It was too easy for whites to simply “blend in”. No such luck for black people, unless they were the “one drop” rule type of black people who were actually like 90% white but had some black distant gene contributor.

Well, the issue of crime is different. One simply has to look at the rate of criminality in the white community during prohibition. The murder rate back then, when prohibition was at its peak, is higher than the murder rate for the nation today…. much higher. Poor whites during prohibition realized that they could make good money in the underground economy that the above ground economy would not allow them to. This led to the formation of criminal organizations and fight over control of market territory. Hence, attempting to separate product from customer in the free market proved to increase violence significantly among the poor who jockeyed for a piece of the American dream. Remember that nostalgic area of white criminality that is romanticized in many films? Yeah…well the prohibition against many illegal drugs today is producing the same effect on crime in the black community, as the black community has become the retail center for the sell of many drugs. Today with exponentially more guns on the streets, its simply that much more violent.

Even with we did have an entire government run by blacks, the issue would be who elected them. Certainly blacks are not in the majority, so if blacks were elected they would be elected to represent the interest of the majority…right? This is a representative Republic if I am not mistaken. Thus, given that whites are the vast majority, a black national government would still be forced to represent white interest if the wanted to remain in office. Moreover, the white majority would NEVER elect them to office unless they were SURE that the interest being catered to was white interest. You say I think that the government is rigging the system to benefit people like you…uh….what is it that confuses you about the nature of a Representative Republic that rules by majority consensus? Nothing has to be rigged…that is how it is designed. As long as you are in the majority…you don’t have to rig anything. Now….lets see what happens when whites are no longer 50% or more of the national population……we might see some constitutional amendments LOL.

Detroit City government? What about the leadership of the member of the Auto Industry and all the other businesses that have succumbed to foreign competition.? What about all those businesses that decided to flee to the suburbs along with whites? A city government will never be able to solve problems created from historical and National origins. The national government is the only entity with the ability to adequately address problems that the national government itself helped to facilitate.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, PG, I am just saying that white folks don't start with one foot in a hole by being saddled with all the perceived ills of their racial group. Once you get to know them, you make the judgment, not on sight.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I only want them on a street downtown so whoever up there won't tie them to Taylor and make that judgment prematurely. They don't have to be destitute, just neutral, like maybe on the Riverwalk or at Eastern Market.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on September 09, 2007)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course there has been white crime but the criminals are brought to justice and most of us don't go around glorifying or excusing it. Most of the old movies have the good guys winning in the end with the criminals locked up or dead.

I don't think legalizing street drugs is going to cause businesses and middle class people to come back to the city any more than I think it would end all crime in the city.

There will be a day when whites are not the majority. Blacks will not be the majority either but Hispanics will at least be the largest minority if not the majority in many areas. I think you might come to realize there is as much distrust and racism among "people of color" as anywhere else.

You can look to Los Angeles where Black, Asian and Latino gangs are going to war in the streets and in the schools. A majority (or majority minority) Latino nation has no reason to cater to a Black minority because they have no historical record of oppressing blacks that I know of. They will say they were oppressed too and they already have been marching in the streets demanding rights.

Some in the Democrat party have even compared their struggle to that of the black community in the 1960's. Do you see the game that is being played here?

There are tensions among all ethnic groups. I have heard some pretty rough talk towards Blacks and Hispanic coming from Middle Eastern and Asian people unfortunately, although they are a smaller group and many do not espouse these views in public as much like us dumb white folks but the sentiment is there.

I have also heard resentment from blacks directed at the Arab convenience store owners in Detroit who are "ripping them off." The LA riots a few years back had Asian store owners shooting at black looters in the streets.

One of the more recent complaints is related to immigration. People of Indian and Asian descent come to this country with work visas and go through a maze of government requirements and have to pay legal expenses because they are following the rules. They see Hispanics ignoring the immigration laws and being offered amnesty and they resent that.

Normally in the past in America immigrants would be assimilating but that is no longer happening to the degree that it once did. We are turning away from the "melting pot" towards a tossed salad. Minority folks are rejecting the culture of the white majority, it will be interesting to see what takes it place, it is looking like it might end up being a segregated society with numerous communities of different ethnic groups scattered about. How you effectively govern a nation like that I don't know.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on September 09, 2007)

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about English's post and how PG reacted to it. Saying that...

"You seem to take great satisfaction in the demographic demise of western culture, we will see if what takes its place is better or worse"

You know I think sometimes black people do sort of laugh at the changing of the "majority" for this reason.

Whether it will be beneficial or not to black people...I think some laugh because they just like seeing white people feel helpless. The fact that some other language may come to dominate and then white people would possibly have to assimilate.
When you have taken just about everything from a group of people, they have nothing to lose. How bad could it be for blacks if another minority was in control?
Most feel like they have nothing as it is...white people are the ones who have something to lose.

I remember many blacks sort of had the attitude after 9/11..."well, if they had crashed planes into the Apollo theater or 125th street then maybe we would have something to worry about."
Remember 1979...the Iranian hostage crises. They sent the black people home because, "they are already oppressed and they have no political power that has affected us". "They are fighting the same monster we are."

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think white folks will get along OK being the minority and we will be far from helpless. Remember that we are a cunning bunch having succeeded in oppressing and exploiting people for centuries. I will bring it up at the Masonic Lodge and let you know what evil plan we have hatched.

I would suggest that certain minorities stress education more if they want to take over though because the infrastructure of modern society requires highly trained people to make it work. You wouldn't want to end up being the subordinates of those crafty Asians and Indians with all their college degrees, most of whom have little knowledge of the past injustice the Blacks and Hispanics have endured at the hands of the evil empire. :-)

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahh yes...the conspiracies

Masonic lodges and secret societies.

Like you...sometimes I am just saying what the deal is. You ask a question or comment on a comment and when you get a response, don't blow a gasket.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not blowing a gasket, it was a tongue-in-cheek response.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG, you have broken our vow of secrecy. Now they are all aware of our sinister plan.
We would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids....

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this doesn't mean I will be ejected from the Lodge. Of course I would still have the John Birch Society.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Arrogancy
Username: Arrogancy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect, here is a quick thing you can try to illustrate a point:

Go to match.com. Browse women in your area.

Count how many white/asian/hispanic women exclude black men.

Count how many of any race include white men.

Now look at any polled list based on physical attractiveness and see how black men tend to rank much higher than other minorities (but not higher than white men).

Essentially, the point is, only .5% will look for a black man for DATING, even though 70% are ATTRACTED to black men.

Do you see the issue there? And it doesn't just apply to dating, although it works as an easily verifiable microcosm.

It's that a person's race, and nothing else, has such a huge effect on someone's general judgment of them. If it applies in the dating world, it applies when it comes to friendships, and it applies when it comes to careers. Sure, it might not be overt, but when it's that entrenched in society in general, it gives people a default disadvantage.

*Middle Eastern and Indian men run into similar results as well, the difference being that less tend to find them attractive when polled.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arrogancy - I see what you are saying but I think most of us tend to date within certain ethnic groups. The problem you seem to be pointing to is that some black women are considering dating white men but not as many white women are willing to date black men.

That may be true although in my personal experience I see far more white girls with black guys than than the other way around. I did read an article a while back that stated that black women were dating white men more than they used to.

The reasons given were that black female college grads having trouble finding college educated black men, black men not accepting feminist black girls, plus single black women are raising upwards of 70% of black kids alone, maybe they are looking for some help they are not finding. Don't blame me for these conclusions, it is something I read. Here is an article from Jet magazine about that:

Why more black women are dating white men - Lifestyles
http://findarticles.com/p/arti cles/mi_m1355/is_10_102/ai_910 88599

There is even a web site specifically about that:

www.whitewomenblackmen.com/

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point went right over your head.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Point went right over your head.

Not at all. I am saying that there are other reasons besides race that people make judgments. Do certain characteristics correlate with race? Maybe.

There does seem to be an assumption that if someone disagrees or dislikes someone of another race the reason for that is racial. That is not always the case. Sometimes people just don't like you. Believe me I oughta to know.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do these comments come in hard cover?

way to draw little or no attention to a very important issue through endless rants and 1.5 page posts.......

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6488
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman,

You quote that Normally in the past in America immigrants would be assimilating but that is no longer happening to the degree that it once did. We are turning away from the "melting pot" towards a tossed salad. Minority folks are rejecting the culture of the white majority, it will be interesting to see what takes it place, it is looking like it might end up being a segregated society with numerous communities of different ethnic groups scattered about. How you effectively govern a nation like that I don't know.

I SAY:

The Romans did have a lot ethnic group. They were called Barbaric Germans, Gauls, Angles, Saxons and Goths. They too rejected the the Roman culture and they being segregated from the Roman society. Then they sacked and attack Rome so many times that the Romans couldn't handle their resources and the government. Later Romans and their western empire fall and this ethnic explosion could happen in America.

(Message edited by danny on September 11, 2007)

(Message edited by danny on September 11, 2007)

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Danny,
I guess that sort of just cuts to the chase and capture.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2527
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah thats right Danny. So I guess you are saying that Western Civilization could fall the same way. I agree. I suppose some would see that as a good thing.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on September 10, 2007)

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at work today thinking about this...which means work is not very exciting right now.

You know PG I thought about something that you said some posts back about how you have your own personal feelings on the mixed couple(I specifically mean black and white)relationships. We probably agree on this so this is certainly not to start a debate. A lot of times these relationships are born out of "assimilation"...I think (just my opinion), however it is the mere fact that a lot feel this should not be done that helps to keep us divided. It means that deep down inside we harbor some prejudices and that close-mindedness is partly why we (blacks and whites) continue to be "racists" toward one another.

I have heard a few people say that perhaps what Danny is saying is true...maybe right now it is "white boy" day. We will not live to see it end but maybe at some point he will fall and there will be someone else in the driver's seat. Like a cycle. I think that it is a shame that we cannot get along with one another to the point where we have to have cycles of oppression and hate.

That is truly just fucked up!

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo -

Maybe if we were invaded by space aliens we would all band together to fight the them. :-)

If current demographic trends continue, we will see the end of this version of Western civilization. It is already happening in some areas of Europe and California is majority minority. I think the west is experiencing a form of civilizational exhaustion. Many of us feel that our way of life is no longer worth defending.

The destruction of confidence and resolve is coming from within. I hate to harp on this but this forum is a great example of people who constantly say that this country is a negative force in the world. They constantly tear down our traditions and values with the effect of making people feel ashamed of their country and its heritage.

Clearly there has been injustice in our history but comparatively speaking I still feel that the US and the West has done some great things and has a good record in terms of liberty and human rights. If history is any guide, what we know today will change greatly in the years to come. I suppose our kids will decide if it is better or not.

Michigan

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AG-You are out of your mind. There is no where in the world that is better than this country. You need to learn that fast. Retire to Africa? Have you ever been there?

PG and Kaptansolo- South/central americans work hard, very hard. They love capitalism and the american way. So I can't get all over them. Koreans, Indians, Chinese, Vietnamese- all work like dogs to get ahead. Love America and the american dream. Western civilization is prevailing the world over. Even here as it absorbs these new influences, it is changing those people as much or more than they are changing it. So don't be so down on what's going on here. It's a great place to be.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan - You know I love America. It is the best place to be. That is why I want to preserve what we have achieved.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just saying that it would be nice if we could all get along without the stigma that exist. I was not saying that it was not a great country, I was not talking about other races either. I was just talking the 2/3 races on the North American continent and continued hatred and prejudices toward one another.

The fall of any empire is not something that I claim to be an expert in. I am sure that if the shoe was on the other foot it would be just as bad.

Let's get on back to being normal and having problems with other human beings just because they are different.

This was just my lousy bleedin' heart for the human race.

Michigan

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG, this will seem radical, but I wonder if this influx of new blood, blood that works hard and wants to succeed from the ground up, may be just what america needs right now. A boot in the butts of a lot of american kids who have gotten complacent.Just thinking out loud.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was the first post on this thread:
quote:

There seems to be a lot of racial tension on this site

"Race complaint filed against Chesterfield Township police department"

"The Black Perspective on Detroit'
If we have this much racial tension on a simple web site how in the hell is detroit going to turn around?

This post prompted quite a substantial volume of posts. Refreshingly, those posts have largely consisted of honest discourse. Disagreements have remained civil for the most part. The "racial tension" presumed in the first post failed to dominate the discussion, rather, ideas and opinion rose to the top. Our community gains strength and benefits when these discussions can occur in a positive and respectful forum. Each of us is entitled to our opinions, but just as importantly, we should listen without judgment as well. Thank you to all who have participated so far.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline - Good post

quote:

PG, this will seem radical, but I wonder if this influx of new blood, blood that works hard and wants to succeed from the ground up, may be just what america needs right now. A boot in the butts of a lot of american kids who have gotten complacent.Just thinking out loud.

I agree 100%. I just think we need to be doing this in a measured, sensible and legal fashion. I also think that the new arrivals need to learn to speak English. In areas where we have Americans out of work, I think we need to be giving them preference over immigrants as long as they are able and willing to work.

Michigan

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willing is often up for debate :-)

We just hired 7 new people to work in a factory. All 24 yo or younger. Four high school graduates born and raised in the US; three from Honduras, naturalized citizens, all three returning vets from Iraq. One of the kids born in the US is still here. All three of the naturalized vets are doing a great job.

I don't know why, but it seems to me that most American parents just do instill a work ethic any longer.

Arrogancy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[quote]Not at all. I am saying that there are other reasons besides race that people make judgments. Do certain characteristics correlate with race? Maybe.

There does seem to be an assumption that if someone disagrees or dislikes someone of another race the reason for that is racial. That is not always the case. Sometimes people just don't like you. Believe me I oughta to know.[/quote]

But the point is, by looking at you, people are making snap judgments about you. This does not happen with the Irish, etc. as much because it's so hard to tell.

Correlation is not causation. But people make snap judgments based on correlation, which means that people that are correlated with others on a strictly visual basis get screwed as a whole.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This does not happen with the Irish, etc. as much because it's so hard to tell.

Sure it does, minority folks make judgments about white people all of the time based on the fact they are white.

Arrogancy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But it doesn't have the same bearing as a whole because white people are a minority in the US significantly rarer than black people are.

Black people are constantly in a minority situation in the country, and white people are not. So, in speaking as wholes, black on white racism means little to nothing as compared to white on black racism. it's just part of what comes with having the "power" in this situation.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2547
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arrogancy -

Making assumptions about someone due to their race is one thing, actively trying to discriminate against them based on that is another. There are all sorts of things people look at to make judgments about others including the way they dress, their hair, tattoos, piercings, their weight, their beauty, age, etc...

It is human nature to "size someone up" when you meet them. If they make a good impression in the way they speak and their overall appearance, I don't think their race matters as much as you might think. If a black dude comes off like a gang banger or a white guy is riddled with tats and piercings wearing black from head to toe the impression is probably going to be negative in some cases.

I have read that physical attractiveness does play a role in how people are treated which is too bad. I have seen some blatant favoritism in the workplace related to that.

I work in a profession dominated by younger people, and have gotten some strange looks from kids in their twenties during job interviews. I can see the wheels turning in their head "I am sure this old fart's skills are outdated." I just do the best I can to win them over, and sometimes I don't succeed. The older I get the harder it will be.

I am not trying to minimize what you are saying or claim that my experience is comparable to that of black folks because it isn’t. I am saying that it is human nature to make judgments about people and we just have to hope that if we are trying to be positive and productive, we will judged by our actions and not our skin color or appearance.

This is something that Jewish people have struggled with. There are millions the world over that unfortunately dislike or even hate Jews to this day. Their ancestors were slaughtered by the millions in our parent’s lifetimes. Their reaction to this has been to strive to excel and do positive things in their communities which have earned them respect, even among those that distrust them. They do this through strong families and an emphasis on education in their culture.

Again, they have had a different experience than black folks but I think you see the point I am making.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.