Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Royal Oak to buy back lot for gateway plaza « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like the city didn't like the idea of L.A. Fitness going in there either.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070904/METRO /709040370/1003

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The company already had a purchase agreement to sell the land to the fitness facility."

Wow. That was close. I wasn't a big fan of the L.A. Fitness idea. I just hope something gets done with that plot in the next 5 years or so...been vacant way too long and it's such an awesome location

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What used to be there?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking forward to another response from the developer on metromedia like this one...http://www.metromodemedia.com/ devnews/ROGateway0031.aspx

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good move for Royal Oak...

Unfortunately, downtown RO is competing with downtown Detroit for "urban" residents. Many I've talked to in that area view themselves as the new downtown... "urban living without the urban problems" as one put it.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider,

Before the fwy went through that was the location of Mathew Hargraves Chevrolet.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm being naive but I don't understand why every piece of land must have a building or structure on it. In my opinion, that is one of the things that makes Detroit look so ugly. Everywhere you look there's a building or structure. One thing I like about Canton is on Warren near Haggerty, the south side of the road has no buildings. It just makes the area look more pleasant. All the businesses are on the north side of the road. I hope Canton doesn't follow the mistakes of many other cities and think that they need a building in every single location.

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on September 04, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement, often times buildings can be used to frame open spaces. The most classic example of this might be something like a collegiate quad. So it is always important to have the right mix of open spaces and buildings. Most would argue that from a sustainable standpoint, Canton is not dense enough.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In my opinion, that is one of the things that makes Detroit look so ugly. Everywhere you look there's a building or structure."

Are you serious? Go drive around some of Detroit's neighborhoods. You'll find more vacant land there than you will in places like Royal Oak.

"I hope Canton doesn't follow the mistakes of many other cities and think that they need a building in every single location."

If the Township doesn't own the property, there's not much they can do to prevent someone from developing it if that's their intent, assuming it's not unbuildable wetlands or something like that.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm being naive but I don't understand why every piece of land must have a building or structure on it. In my opinion, that is one of the things that makes Detroit look so ugly.

Huh? Sounds like you haven't been to many densely populated cities...

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, it's all about balance. I can see your point that some areas of Canton aren't dense enough but I don't think they should overdevelop.

Novine, I'm dead serious. I didn't intend to say there are NO open areas in Detroit, but just drive down 7 Mile from Middlebelt to Livernois. Tell me that Detroit doesn't look ugly and CLUTTERED compared to Livonia and Redford. You could do the same down 6 Mile and Fenkell. Detroit is vastly over developed in some areas!

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on September 04, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement, maybe you are alluding to the difference between planned development and random. Small towns have a main street where small buildings and shop align right at the road (for that matter, so does much of downtown Royal Oak). Most people find those appealing.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crumbled_pavement, have you been outside of the suburbs? This isn't meant to to be unkind but the idea that the buildings are what make cities ugly is opposite of what makes big cities. New York, LA, Chicago and yes even Detroit are big cities and Detroit should strive for maximum infill and minimum open vacant lots. Perhaps you just dont enjoy urban environments.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugly and cluttered is not synonymous with overdeveloped.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vacant lots should be few and large, and landscaped and open to the public. You know: parks.

The fitness center would have been a god-awful use of that space and I'm glad RO decided against it. If the economy right now does not justify a grand gateway into RO, then let's wait until it does.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tell me that Detroit doesn't look ugly and CLUTTERED compared to Livonia and Redford."

Lots of people out here think that Livonia and Redford are ugly and cluttered compared to their suburb. Guess it's all in ones viewpoint.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider....
....Mathew Hargrave Chevrolet was on the corner of Woodward and Washington. My mind remembers a row of shops from the edge of the used car lot to 10 Mile. It looks like a decent sized piece of property if it extends all the way to Main St.

I realise it's a couple of blocks south, but why don't they just rebuild the Totem Pole and be done with it? Then it could be a gateway and semi-historical at the same time....

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an antique shop there I recall that had plastic horses out front, and the Arcade we frequented Alligator Alley was south of that a bit, where the freeway is now.

Professorscott

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a pic of the famous old sign which said "Royal Oak" and then in smaller letters "ample parking"? Kind of tells you how we got to where we are...

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed how many big, empty parcels Schostak and Etkin Equities have around here? I see their signs everywhere

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't blame the city on this one.They need to do something of substance with the land.A fitness center is generic and obviously little more than a way for the seller to make money.They find any old buyer, who builds an ugly building, then goes out of buisness leaving an unappealing structure sitting there abandoned, plastered with "For Sale" signs.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't blame the city on this one.They need to do something of substance with the land.A fitness center is generic and obviously little more than a way for the seller to make money.They find any old buyer, who builds an ugly building, then goes out of buisness leaving an unappealing structure sitting there abandoned, plastered with "For Sale" signs."

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Except I don't necessarily agree they need to put anything in that space at all. Just my opinion.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open space for open space's sake is no better than development for development's sake. If you can come up with a good reason why and plan for the site to stay empty, great. But currently, it's a prairie-looking gulf occupying some pretty prime real estate. Want a park there? Great. But there is NO possible argument for keeping the status quo (permanently).

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tax revenue is the name of the game. That's why stuff needs to get developed so cities don't have to keep raising your taxes.
Amazing how many plans have been shot down over the site.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's actually spelled Matthews-Hargreaves.

(Message edited by Burnsie on September 04, 2007)

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Open space for open space's sake is no better than development for development's sake. If you can come up with a good reason why and plan for the site to stay empty, great. But currently, it's a prairie-looking gulf occupying some pretty prime real estate. Want a park there? Great. But there is NO possible argument for keeping the status quo (permanently)."

A park works for me

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the city needs the tax revenue, but a well-done park would be great. It would be a refreshing oasis amidst the pavement sea of the I-696/Woodward interchange.

(Message edited by Burnsie on September 04, 2007)

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A park next to as busy intersection? How bucolic with the din and smell of traffic along 696 and Woodward, and a great place to take the kids.

No, I vote for development.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I know the city needs the tax revenue, but a well-done park would be great. It would be a refreshing oasis amidst the pavement sea of the I-696/Woodward interchange.

I actually thought the opposite - that that site would be a horrible spot for a park... its really not a large site and would seem out of scale with massive roads like Woodward, I-696, the 696 Service Drive, Main St, and Washington Ave all converging upon it. However I could definitely see them keeping some of it as green space maybe along the northern edge of the parcel, between whatever new development might actually occur and those townhouses that are there.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Oak has tons of parks all over the city!
It needs more tax revenue.
If a ball goes over the fence, do you want your kid to get it on Woodward?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that a proposal for a hotel/condo high-rise with ground-floor retail and three or four levels of underground parking would be feasible on that site.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's what they thought at one time. It never got built.
The big high rise next to Dobie's on Washington was supposed to be a hotel at one time too.
Lofts and condos are the rage downtown. Lots of them for sale too.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Oak takes stand for a dense, mixed-use development at Gateway Plaza

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ devnews/ROGateway0034.aspx

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. Now if Royal Oak leaders would only take a stand for saving the Main Theatre...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's happening to the Main Theatre?

Professorscott

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently it is becoming the victim of a threadjack.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4925
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add to the density vs green space arguement...

...greenspace does not generate tax revenue...

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

greenspace does not generate tax revenue

Studies show greenspace increases surrounding property values and therefore can generate tax revenue.

(However, I am not arguing that this parcel should become a park, especially when surrounded by high-traffic roads and adjacent to huge existing greenspace -- the Zoo.)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5319
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about one of those waterpark hotels with a skywalk over to the zoo? Another Great Wolf Lodge?

Although this type of destination is not my personal favorite, it could help tie in high density family entertainment along with the zoo.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Dave and Busters? Nobody is ever behind my plans for Dave and Busters. :-)

What is not to like? Beer and video games.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The notion that a fitness center would not be good for the area is not true. LA Fitness integrates well into urban areas, and acts as a magnet to attract people into an area. If it was a full facility, with pool etc, it would have been nothing but good for the area. The spill off from people working out, then eating or whatever in the area is substantial. Urban areas and fitness facilities are great for each other. All this would have taken, was some smart zoning and building ordinances, and this would have been a great move. Too bad it will sit vacant, or worse, be used for some non descript retail. If a hotel is built there, then fine.. that works too.

Professorscott

Post Number: 740
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atl, did you see the proposal? It was a single stand-alone building surrounded by acres of surface parking. The fact that the proposed business was a fitness center is more or less irrelevant; it was the footprint of the building many objected to. It was in no way a good fit for an urban area, based on footprint.

Now, an LA Fitness on the ground floor of a mixed-use building in an urban setting? Bring it. But this wasn't that, and it was nowhere near what the City wants to accomplish for that sight, nor anywhere near what Schostak promised when they first started talking to Royal Oak.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2762
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not really fond of the idea of high-rise there, it would really be out of place

could easily see a moderately upscale, nicely designed shopping area - Whole Foods, Barnes & Noble, eateries for zoo-goers, small shops

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott.. I have not seen the design. After reading what you posted, I am in agreement with R.O going a different direction. Thanks for the information.

The question is, why do these developers continue to think a building in the center of a parking lot is acceptable to anyone anymore? Those days are long gone.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive down washington to work every day and this week they tore down the last building on the triangular shaped parcel to the NW of this gateway plaza parcel. The last building was a photo studio in a converted single family home... the fire department had been messing around there for a few months, now that whole block is clear. Hopefully a coordinated development will occur for both peices that implements the more urban form Tim Thwing is referring to. Kudos to the DDA for keeping LA OUT.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3285
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^It's not an issue with LA Fitness. It's an issue with the form of the proposed building.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5322
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww come on Lilpup.... it could at least be as tall as the KWAME KILPATRICK MAYOR OF DETROIT Water Tower across Woodward by the zoo! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.