Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Best TV reporter in Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through September 04, 2007Smogboy30 09-04-07  3:03 pm
Archive through September 05, 2007Falstaff30 09-05-07  10:47 am
Archive through September 15, 2007Falstaff30 09-15-07  7:58 am
Archive through October 03, 2007Mbr30 10-03-07  1:32 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Falstaff
Username: Falstaff

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a blast from the past. Where is he know (I hope still with us).

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Dateline Detroit?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that hosted by Devin Scillian? Yeah, it came on Saturdays at 7:00 PM. They should bring it back really to take up the free time.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best TV reporter in Detroit
DetroitYes

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Bonds, Of course!

Falstaff

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Bonds might be the best pitchman for Sam Bernstein, but no longer a reporter.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always like Bob Bennett, whose real name was Robert Lee Billups; and Al Allen. Oldtime reporters, no flash just facts.

Falstaff

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like those guys too!

Shiva
Username: Shiva

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should change the topic to the worst television reporter in Detroit:

Silva Harapetian - 4

Tarim Asher - 2

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taryn Asher is considered (by those in broadcasting) as a solid and tenacious reporter (and anchor). She's only been in Detroit for a month, give her another chance.

That said, it's astounding to hear the opinion of reporters/anchors by people who are not in the business. I've heard people talk about how person x is a great reporter/anchor/dj when by all accounts, they are truly horrendous by any television/radio standard.

Falstaff

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Taryn Asher is considered (by those in broadcasting) as a solid and tenacious reporter (and anchor)."

She is ghastly in every sense of the word. She has small market written all over her. She was too small time for Flint (market #66). She is an abysmal story teller with a repellent television presence. She lacks sell. Would she be on Fox2 without her boyfriend working there?

Since you no doubt are a master of the broadcasting industry, enthrall us with acumen about market #11. Who is "truly horrendous by any television/radio standard"?

We little people await your comments with baited breath!

(Message edited by Falstaff on October 16, 2007)

Falstaff

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why doesn't FOX2 have a bio for Taryn Asher on their web site?

You would think they would want to trumpet such a solid and tenacious reporter (and anchor).

I thought this page was her bio page at first, but I must have been misinformed.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 844
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked Frank Turner and his crack staff

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6102
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Falstaff... we get the fact that you seriously don't like this Taryn Asher gal but geez, just turn away then.

Don't get me wrong. I haven't seen her style of broadcast so I don't have an opinion of her but if you've seem to have gone out of your way to dredge up articles about her style. And I'm not supporting or discounting Cheddar Bob's assertion that she's respected by her broadcast professionals either, but your "samplings" are just postings on other boards that slam her style (for all we know you could've be Nick Bottom on that board).

Truth on the web can be dubious at best.

But to each their own.

Falstaff

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right, Smogboy - it was a little carried away and have deleted the post in question.

I was quite put off by Cheddar Bob's condescending attitude and sort of lashed out. How dare he think that his opinion is the only one that counts?

And no, that other board just popped up on a google search. That happened to be the first post. Tayrn's fan club is legion, but I didn't post that.

I'm going to take things down a notch. This thread is about the best, not the worst, television reporter in Detroit.

The_ed

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I always liked Frank Turner and his crack staff"

That's funny.
The weatherman on channel 7 I call the
"Oatmeal Weatherman" B-O-R-I-N-G.

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You are right, Smogboy - it was a little carried away and have deleted the post in question.

If you're going to post something, post it. Don't be a pussy.

quote:

I was quite put off by Cheddar Bob's condescending attitude and sort of lashed out. How dare he think that his opinion is the only one that counts?

I didn't think my post was condescending, but if you did that's cool. Where did I say that my opinion was the only one that counts, though?

quote:

She is ghastly in every sense of the word. She has small market written all over her. She was too small time for Flint (market #66). She is an abysmal story teller with a repellent television presence. She lacks sell.

You're welcome to that opinion. And judging from the fact that most of you 67 posts contain some reference to the broadcast industry, you've got a lot of opinions about it. I disagree with you on this one. If you took your tongue out of Mara McDonald's ass for two seconds, maybe you would have a more subjective opinion. That's just my opinion, though.

quote:

Since you no doubt are a master of the broadcasting industry, enthrall us with acumen about market #11. Who is "truly horrendous by any television/radio standard"?

If you want to crown me "master of the broadcasting industry", I'm honored. I don't know if I will be able to fulfill my duties, however, because I don't watch Detroit news.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly,

You raise a good point.

The same thing struck me repeatedly over the summer, when it was 90+ degrees out, it hadn't rained in months, lawns everywhere were brown and even some of my native wildflowers at home were looking droopy from a lack of water. "There's a slight chance of rain overnight," the weather forecasters would chirp, "but we should get back to plenty of sunshine in time for the morning commute."

Falstaff

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't be a pussy."

Vulgar and inarticulate. Nice.

Living in Flint and watching TV up there. You are suffering enough.

Come on down and watch some Detroit television. Then feel free to chime in.

Cheers!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The same thing struck me repeatedly over the summer, when it was 90+ degrees out, it hadn't rained in months, lawns everywhere were brown and even some of my native wildflowers at home were looking droopy from a lack of water. "There's a slight chance of rain overnight," the weather forecasters would chirp, 'but we should get back to plenty of sunshine in time for the morning commute.'"

Now I want to single out you and ghetto_butterfly. I understand your beef with weather forecasters, but what primitive people like you don't understand is that many of them must forecast for at least 10 million different personalities everyday. They have to make everyone happy, otherwise, they'll get chased out of town by people like you two. Some people may want a dry commute and want to be assured of it. Also, seeing as how crazy the weather can be, one part of their viewing area is in the favorable region for active weather while the other one isn't. It's a very complicated matter. So please, back off of them.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6115
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did delivering the news or the weather have anything to do with making everyone happy? It's about delivering content and we all know how accurate any weather forecaster can be. The main difference is that the news that's reported has happened and reporting the weather is more about predicting what hasn't happened yet.

Lefty2

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is the final tally on this "best reporter" thread?
I think the votes should be added up and send the results to the papers to give some props to DYes. It should make a news column. maybe make a cutoff date and send in the results?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When did delivering the news or the weather have anything to do with making everyone happy? It's about delivering content and we all know how accurate any weather forecaster can be. The main difference is that the news that's reported has happened and reporting the weather is more about predicting what hasn't happened yet."

You really think that? The "Weather" isn't just about predicting what's going to happen. Heck, news is nothing more than hyping up filler stories to get rich in my opinion. The weather is more than just predicting the next rainstorm. It involves looking back at past weather events and studying nature's worst and more. It also involves educating people on the different forces that nature can dish out at us. Tell me then, why do you people get upset when the weather does something you don't like? The first person the average joe will blame is poor old Chuck Gaidica. He's just doing his/her job. And as I sadi, weather conditions can differ from one part of the region to the next. They strive however to make sure that you all know whether or not we can have those thanksgiving parades and baseball games all nice and polished so people can have safe fun when outside. It's ok Smogboy, I already know you think weather forecasting is nothing important. I let you keep thinking that though, but you're wrong.

Besides, the news is just nothing but a filler to take up the low-budget station's schedule with preppy people discussing about what they think may happen in a situation when they could care less in reality.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 16, 2007)

Lefty2

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ preppy people, how would you like them to dress, look?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't see me all dressed up and covered in make-up to tell others the news. Besides, have you seen how cruel these people can be off camera? Heck, even I have seen TV Anchors and reporters laugh at the worst stories (live!).

Smogboy

Post Number: 6122
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, you make all these grandiose assumptions of what people are like here! Where do you get off on thinking people are seriously as pissed off as you assume about the weather? I agree that no one should be mad at Chuck Gaidica or any other weather person- they're just trying their best to inform people of what MIGHT happen. As informed as they can be with all of the weather knowledge & fancy radar that they have, they're still going to be wrong for someone somewhere. They present information that CAN be faulty- it's a prediction; I know that as an informed viewer so I don't take it as the word of God. I don't place the significance in anyone's weather forecast the way you so fervently hang onto it. So in all of your brilliant tactical knowledge there, Detroitrise- how am I wrong here? Why do you place so much personal angst into it when someone doesn't have your passion about the accuracy of a station's weather forecasts?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care what you like. I will defend anything I'm passionate in to my deathbed. Besides, I never said that anyone is perfect. I personally don't have any trust in humanity, I just deal with it. I just hate how people like you make weather forecasting so controversial.

If you don't like it, don't deal with it. I just don't see why people complain about the weather though when you have people that tell you in detail about the weather teaching you why it happens.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on October 17, 2007)

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 656
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

urbanize, urbanize, urbanize, tsk tsk tsk

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Pugh seems kinda cool. Look, he has a myspace.

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendid=106197159

He's a DETROITAHOLIC!

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be happy when meteorologists admit that forecasting weather outside of a 36 hour window is a crap shoot. Even at 36 hours, the rate of a correct forecast is somewhere around 75%. Not terrible, but if I only had a 75% success rate at my job, I wouldn't have one. Meteorologists: just admit that your whole profession is a sham, especially at longer ranges.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Jerry Hodiak for best weatherman. Anyone remember around Thanksgiving time of 1974 when he predicted we were going to get "Just A Light Dusting" and we ended up with 22 inches of a light dusting

Falstaff

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim Adams is earning a doctorate degree in weather guessing. She always seems very well informed and has a nice presence.

(Message edited by Falstaff on October 29, 2007)

The_ed

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!
I like that: "weather guessing"
Jerry Hodak's alias is Oatmeal Man. He is boring.
I think Charles Pugh is pretty decent.

Gnome

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Jerry Hodak is the Milton Berle of Detroit. Sometimes you can tell, but I think he keeps things pretty well disguised.

The_ed

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mal Sillars was a good weather-man.
What happened to him?

Falstaff

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Charles Pugh is pretty decent.

He might be decent, but he isn't a weather guesser.

Lefty2

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats why jerry is the chief

Falstaff

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhonda Walker on WDIV has a new hairstyle.

I think I prefer the old one.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her 1960s Diana Ross-Do was pretty dated.

Falstaff

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran across this discussion elsewhere.

Which look is better for Mara MacDonald?

Without glasses:

MacDonald without glasses

With glasses:

MacDonald with glasses

Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We get it, you have an unnatural obsession with McDonald. Is she aware that she has a stalker? Any restraining orders yet, Falstaff?

Smogboy

Post Number: 6353
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stalking Detroit reporters? Sigh, let's not have another Catherine Leahan or Kam Carmen type of incident again, okay?

Lefty2

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahahaha
not another reporter.
I think without the glasses, a little too bold, harsh, studious look, hey but thats just my opinion.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ama Daetz from Local 4....I have a crush on her.

Falstaff

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar_bob
quote:

This reminds me of the time I used to go into this porn shop. I would buy magazines and such and then take them out to my car and masturbate.

Hey Bob - guess we all have some cross to bear.

How are those porno stores in Flint? Did you get the fabric protection for your seats when you bought your car?

Falstaff

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rhonda walker

Is Rhonda Walker's hair style a plus or minus for her?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe you people are so shallow about the TV Reporters.

Gnome

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

falstaff, you're beginning to creep me out.

Falstaff

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a discussion on a broadcast bulletin board. Just throwing it out to a wider audience.

I'm just beginning to creep you out? I guess I'm not trying hard enough.

Falstaff

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read WXYZ's Shay Ryan is moving to NYC in a few months.

Joebrazier
Username: Joebrazier

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to Pallas Hupe? That name always cracked me up...

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 882
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anchor at the CBS affiliate in Sacremento.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.