Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » U-M season over? « Previous Next »
Archive through September 03, 2007Zulu_warrior30 09-03-07  10:41 pm
Archive through September 04, 2007Gotdetroit30 09-04-07  2:53 pm
Archive through September 05, 2007_sj_30 09-05-07  11:59 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I was referring to the people who belittle MSU grads because they went to Michigan State and not Michigan. Even though the person never even went to college."

I can see how that can get annoying, but it could be much worse. Dare I say look at Miami, USC
ohio state and 90% of schools in the SEC, if you want to see a bunch of un-educated good ole boys talking trash about other schools.

It's the nature of the beast, realize it. Getting snappy and calloused over the matter shows you're no better than the idiot who started the name calling to begin with. To all of you who hate those Walmart bandwagon fans, put on your big boy pants and deal with it. jeesh

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard something funny today on the radio.

quote:

Everyone who lives in Michigan and even the USA should stop rooting for U of M because Lloyd Carr drives a Lexus.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no they have a few games left

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4901
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan had no business being ranked 5th in the first place. Should have been more like 25th.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

25th is too low, probably around 15th

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11673
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who ever said MSU fans better get off their high horse was right.In a few short weeks MSU will be the team that lost to the team that lost to AP_state....

Still believing this statement? I like to see Michigan win, I like to see them take the Big 10, and I like to see them play for the National Championship over the holidays.

Yet at the same time, when CMU played U of M the past couple years, I wanted nothing more than to see my old school kick the crap out of them.

Why? Because sometimes arrogance needs to be put in check. U of M, along with so many other powerhouse college football programs, schedule what they gather to be powder puff teams, teams that on paper they should simply roll over. They often schedule the first game or two of the season as if it were an exhibition season. The smaller school often gets whooped on, then walks away with a $400,000 check for their pain and suffering. Yet ever now and then, the Davids knock the Goliaths to the ground.

CMU did it to MSU twice in the mid 90's, damn near a third time which would have made a clean sweep. Bowling Green did it last week to Minnesota, and held their own against MSU for most of the game this week. The "push-overs" aren't the push-overs they once were, and many times are beginning to realize this.

In my eyes though, what these types of losses really do is show just how retarded college football is. Why should a team's season be over with one or two loses? Over in the sense that they have zero chance for anything more than a conference championship. The best professional sports teams can lose to the very worst teams, yet still redeem themselves during a little something called "playoffs." Other college sports have playoffs, why not football?

That being said, even without watching either of the first two games, this has to be one of the ugliest U of M teams I can recall during my lifetime. Even with a playoff system in place, they wouldn't stand a chance. Yet among the U of M fans, they'll still talk their trash on how they will beat OSU, MSU, or Notre Dame. Time for a reality check wolverine diehards, as at least for this season YOUR team is the bunch of powder puffs.

It will be interesting watching all these "loyal" U of M fans quickly abandon ship, vacating the stands, turning their back on "their team," selling their tickets below face, or even giving them away for free. Two games in, and the season is over. Me, I never had a loyalty to either U of M or MSU, so I'm hopping on the MSU wagon this season in hopes they will do well.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope Appalachian State didn't take a hit because of a bigger loss by "Maize and Blue" to Ducks! 1-AA can't be ranked. Will they win on par with the Lions?

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport,

Would it be possible to contradict yourself more in that post?

Go Blue!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4916
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS pretty much nailed it. The U of M "we rule" fan mentality needs to go

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I root for MSU and both UM. I go to games for both schools and was in the Big House yesterday to see that debacle. I do tend to be a bigger Spartan fan though, partly due to the fact that most UM fans really rub me the wrong way.

Although I was disappointed and pissed off leaving A2 yesterday in a way I was sort of pleased. The arrogance that many UM fans posess has taken a huge hit and I can only hope that many of them are humbled. Its amazing the stuff I hear from Michigan fans justifying whats happening to their team and how they try to discredit anyone who may critisize them. Does it matter how academics match up with MSU? No. Does it matter the last time the Spartan team was ranked? No. Just take whats coming to you for christs sake. Youve been doing this to Sparty and other fans for years and the second something happens to you cry like babies and start comparing history and academics. It really is a joke.

Mackinaw - as someone who commutes to each school to party and have a good time, I can say that your right that Michigan women are comparable to MSU. What your wrong about though is how close each school is in terms of being a party school. MSU is head and shoulders above Michigan and I gladly drive the extra 40 minutes to go there. Ive got plenty of Michigan friends that travel to EL for a good time too.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great- I love hearing U of M fans whine & complain. Especially people that never went to the school worshipping the football team- get a life! On second thought, keep kneeling at the Maize & Blue altar-I enjoy your misery.
FYI... I'm no Sparty or OSU fan. Generally I detest college football and the National Felons oops!Football League. I wouldn't walk across the street to watch any of it. I sure enjoy the whining though heh,heh,heh.....

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was our worst lose since 1968 and the first time we have lost 4 in a row in 4 decades and the first time we lost the first two at home since 1959. Those are impressive stats.
We will go on, and Im looking forward to the rest of the season.
Supersport, that was one confusing post. You say your a CMU grad, and when they played UM you wanted to see them kick UM's butt. Duh of course. But wait not because of the fact you graduated from CMU, its because we are arrogant. And your playoff observations made no sense. Its like we need a playoff, but Um is powderpuffs. Did you burn a fat one this morning.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mich will beat Mich state

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be so sure.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go NM eh U!

On the sunny shores of Lake Superior!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3654
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the level headed take on things, Southen. MSU is clearly higher-ranked as a party school, but the stereotypes about UM being a quiet place with no scenery is, indeed, rather askew.

Jrvass, NMU rocks. Mainly because it is in Marquette.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,
Is this not destined for the sports forum??

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES; U of Ummm's, football season 2007,
is officially over at this moment....!!

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there is really no reason to compare MSU and Michigan's academic standards as both schools have vastly different educational missions.
MSU is a land grant school. This means, among other things, that its educational mission is to be open to the greatest quantity of people it can (accessibility) while still providing a first class education. As an MSU alum I'm discouraged by the rising admission standards as I think it's integral to their mission to remain open to students from diverse backgrounds; from poor farmers' sons and daughters to Rhodes Scholars (MSU has the highest # of them in the Big 10). However, I think on the whole MSU does a great job of being accessible to the average Michigander/Michiganian while also providing world class programs (demonstrated by previous posts describing the rank of many of MSU's departments). In regards to MSU's in-state population... this is a direct result of feeling that the school's mission is also to cater to the needs of Michigan residents. The school has premier study abroad programs and attracts thousands of international/out of state students every year and while it's great to see rising out of state/international student numbers I think it's also a positive thing that MSU places an emphasis on serving the needs of Michigan residents.
UM is simply doesn't have this educational mission so to compare the two schools this way is apples to oranges.
Finally, Go State!

(Message edited by sparty06 on September 09, 2007)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 713
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put Sparty06.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 3485
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consider this; possibly academically stronger, but likely weaker in common sense and judgment for students choosing UofM over MSU. Here is how; Higher average entrance exam scores and GPA shifts the curve so that the same student at UofM gets a lower GPA than they would have at MSU. Getting into postgraduate school is therefore less likely. Those that fool themselves into thinking that the grad schools will take the UofM pedigree into account are in denial. A .3-.5 lower average GPA is going to kill chances at competitive grad school programs.

Might this explain the arrogance of UofM students? Maybe so, they made a bad call, and all they have to show for it is the snob effect (and a smaller bank account), so, they make the most out of what little they got out of their misguided decision.

As to the football season for UofM...write off the year, it is done.

Sparty06

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the undergraduate schools at both UM and MSU don't grade on a curve.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it quite funny how people who didnt go to, or probably couldnt get into, always call UM grads or attendees snobs.
How snobbish is it to continually cast someone in that light?
I neither attended nor have a degree from UM or any of its satellite's, but people, please give me a break.
OK, It cost alot, OK, some of the grads like to brag a bit b/c they went there. They should! Its an academically challenging institution, and they have some pretty established, accomplished alumni.

Sparty06

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being proud of your degree/accomplishments is one thing. Feeling the need to put other people down or act superior to them because of your degree/accomplishments is another.

I think many MSU fans wonder why people who don't have a college degree would choose to root for UM. From our point of view, if UM looks down on MSU then surely they look down on the legions of people who never obtained a college degree. Why root for a school that looks down on you?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Other college sports have playoffs, why not football?"

Because it is football. Each team plays once a week unlike other college sports. A playoff tournament would take months...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3881
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The academic admission requirements (outside of any residual AA, of course) for getting admitted to UoM are too high for typical Michiganders anyway. That competition would be even stiffer if there weren't any reserved slots for the natives. Most Big Ten schools are that way--with preferential consideration given to many of their natives.

Meaghansdad

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally,
I have two degrees, so I dont feel as if they look down on me, or anyone thats doesnt a college education, I dont have that perspective.

Maybe people tend to root for UM b/c it is a [perceived] sign of excellence.

I've known a lot of people that attended UM, and none of them have behaved the way they're portrayed on here. Quite the opposite, they seemed to be ashamed to tell people they went there.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in A2 a very long time.I did not attend UM. I do have some observations. Um is a large school as is MSU.

I have a close friend who is a prof here. He is about as far away from the football bullshit as there is; geographically as well as in spirit_ oh he might go to a game but he won't stagger around the streets yelling ..." FUCK" and banging on peoples cars because UM lost.

That brings me to the stuff I bring up every year. There is an asshole contingent at UM with an entitlement mentality to match any anywhere. They think it is ok to get drunk am carry on like clowns and idiots on every week-end from now until April when some of them get serious about school. As an aside I am told by one of my offspring that friends at MSU tell here the cops do not put up with it as much as they do in A2. That is hearsay however and my observation of the assholes that clutter up Saturday afternoons is my own. In fact someone showed me an article where a former Pres at Osu referred to this behavior as..." A culture of rioting"....

But, as I said these are large schools. So although there is a dumbshit mentality among some there is also a large percentage of the student body that are not acting stupid.

About the academic pissing contest; who cares? Honestly unless somone tells you where they graduated it does not matter. Maybe UM is a schol where connections are made like Yale or Harvard_ but maybe it isn't I don't know.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 3506
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All grading is based on points of reference/ a curve. If not, the testing is derived based on the bell curve distribution. If this were not so, it would be inevitable that certain classes would fail most students (and they would not be enrolled in.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CCbatson wrote, "All grading is based on points of reference/ a curve."

I don't know where you're coming up with that information, but it's absolutely not true. Here's a typical type of non-curve grading that a MSU or UM course often has.

A exam might have 40 questions, with each question worth 2 points. There are six exams in total (480 points altogether), plus a final worth 150 points. That's a total of 630 points. If you earn 599 or more total points for the course (at least 95%), you get a 4.0 for a final grade. If you earn between 567 and 598 (at least 90%), you get a 3.5. And so on. There is no curve.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6481
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second total loss for U of M. YAY!!!!!

They can't beat the hillbillies. They can't beat the Ducks. Who else the Wolverines can't beat?

FIRE LLOYD CARR!

GO GREEN , GO STATE, SPARTANS.

(Message edited by danny on September 09, 2007)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, there are curves quite often in classes up here, especially if a good percentage of the class is earning a low grade. And from what I gather from the Wolverines I know curving is common down there as well.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 3507
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, how did they arrive at the test design? By administering it and assessing the performance. they adjusted the difficulty to arrive at an acceptable outcome. That is how it is done all the time. Why they don't just say they use a curve in the first place?? probably some touchy feely anticompetition ideology of some liberal professors. Check the breakdown of scores/grades over time...I am willing to bet it parallels a bell curve very closely. If too hard, students will drop out, if too easy, either it will be tolerated as a blow off, or the governing body will require an adjustment.

Sparty06

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are no curves at MSU. The profs sometimes have grading systems where the highest person in the class gets a 70% then they curve that grade up to an A but that's not really a curve in the sense others have been speaking of. Law schools have strict curves (i.e. 25% A's, 55% B's, 20% C's and this curve is followed no matter the outcome or the ability of the students). Most classes at MSU that I had, theoretically everyone could score an A if they demonstrated they had mastered the material. In law school (and other similarly curved systems) it is impossible for more than 25% of the people to get an A no matter how well they've mastered a subject. Most undergrads stay away from this system, rightly so, because it takes the focus off learning and tests showing your knowledge and merely is an effort to rank you in class for employers.

(Message edited by sparty06 on September 10, 2007)

Ccbatson

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT IS A CURVE Sparty. Law school and med schools see the distribution as a curve because the material is so challenging that they can't help but see this distribution. Most are pass/fail, with honors for exceptionally high performance. The system works quite well, IMO.

Sparty06

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most are not pass/fail in law school. I never had a class in undergrad where there was a pre-determined distribution of grades.
Edit: I did have an econ class that way but the prof had discretion to go around the curve if he wanted (law school profs don't have this discretion).

(Message edited by sparty06 on September 10, 2007)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 476
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is sad, the Wolverines haven't won a game since Bo died. :-(

<313>

Ccbatson

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the sample size is big enough, and the material on the test is not ridiculously hard or easy, a bell curve distribution will result. It is not predetermined, it just works out that way statistically when you sample a large enough group.

Sparty06

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily true, I've had classes where the distribution has been pretty varied. Also, the rampant grade inflation that's been taking place in universities for the past decade or so is more proof there is no set curve.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3886
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My experience studying chemical engineering after graduation in electrical engineering at UW-Madison showed that there was indeed wide distribution of grading for tests and such. Moreover, that typical distribution was bimodal: a mode of much higher grades than the lower mode--80s to 90s vs. 30s to, say, 60s. These modes had fairly tight clusters, however, especially for the higher mode.

For the most part, the Asians had their grades in the high mode, and the natives back in Wisconsin typically occupied the lower mode. I would expect seeing such clustering at most of the colleges in Michigan. UM and MSU would be affected by Asians and other foreign students, as at Wisconsin. And WSU would have its own special bimodalism due to a rather obvious, but different cause.

_sj_

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hearing a rumor that Henne is done for the season, anyone hear anything about his injury?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 784
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard he is not playing Saturday, I will dig a little deeper

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard 2 months.

_sj_

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little more info: remember all spec at this point. The injury is a MCL Tear, not sure of the grade, but if they are talking more than a month, I would say it is Grade II/III tear.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The official word is "out this week, then week-to-week"

Ccbatson

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minimum out for one week if it is a MCL tear (versus sprain).

Sparty06

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, as a Spartan fan I want Henne back in as soon as possible.... I'd also like to see Carr stay in his position for as long as possible. Those guys are no good.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.