Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » '3 Days in the D' plans « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 900
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's everyone doing this weekend? Jazzfest, Grand Prix, Arts Beats & Eats, or the State Fair?

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 855
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm heading up from Miami for some Grand Prix action and some Hamtramck drinking.

Yvette248

Post Number: 902
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to D-town Islandman!

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 859
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Yvette, but I grew up in Detroit. Just moved to Miami this year. :-)

Yvette248

Post Number: 906
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet!

lol

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan football game followed by Jazzfest for me.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 621
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be in Michigan digitally. Saturday, the Wolverines game at a sports bar, then the DGP on the Speed Channel and ABC. And I'll be hunting DYes and the internet for photographs and clips (youtube etc..) of the other events like Jazzfest. My family in Michigan will be having the annual Labor Day picnic without me this year

Everyone have a great time and please be safe.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be anywhere from 7mile to Belle Isle enjoying the last weekend of summer.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of the above!! We're starting with Free Prix Day on Belle Isle on Friday, will do the State Fair early Saturday and Arts, Beats, and Eats that night (Dave is playing with Thornetta Davis at 10pm...come on out and enjoy!), the Jazz Festival on Sunday, and the Hamtramck Labor Day Festival on Monday for the Dodge Historic Marker Dedication (11am Veterans Park on Joseph Campau)and the Parade around 1pm, wrapping up the weekend with the Jazz Fest!! What a weekend in the D!!!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All of the above!!

Don't kill yourself trying to have fun Kathleen! :-) I think I am going to the State Fair.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could make it back for the Jazz Fest this year...

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ted Nugent at Pine Knob Saturday, Jazz Fest on Sunday. Probably catch the DGP on tv at the Detroiter or Jacoby's while I'm down there. Provided the weather holds out, I'll probably take the girlfriend for a walk along the river walk again. Planning on spending all afternoon and evening downtown on Sunday :-)

Yvette248

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to go to the Jazzfest. Maybe early, before it gets too crowded?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from spending the evening w/ my girlfriend downtown...we ate at Roma then went down to the festival...campus martius looked amazing...tons of people out, great weather, very well lit up...very relaxed atmosphere...it was a good experience because she's been downtown like 5 times in her life, 3 of which were with me...I'm glad she got to see the city like that...

just thought I'd share

Pam

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen: What did you think of the State Fair this year? I did not like the fact that the building that normally has the agricultural exhibits (biggest veggies etc.) got turned into a sports hall of fame. The butter cow was still in there though. The new space in the coliseum for the aggie stuff was too small. I hope things will be back to normal next year.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam: Not much! We were pretty disappointed too.

We went on Saturday morning, and some things were not yet open, and some of the traditional exhibits like, as you noted, the agricultural exhibits, were reduced in size in the front hallway of the Coliseum, but it wasn't as big as we remembered from past years. I liked the fact that the Miracle of Life was not in the usual tent, but I didn't at all care for Chrysler car exhibit at the same location! And the Sports FunFest building wasn't open except to see the Butter Cow and Calf; even if the interacative FunFest activities weren't open, I would have like to see the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame exhibits. Still very much enjoyed the Community Arts exhibits...and the Burr's French Fries!!!!

Guess our next visit to the State Fair will have to be in the evening so that we can take in a concert. That's been our usual strategy: going to see a good musical act while taking in our favorites exhibits beforehand.

P.S. We've followed our plan that I mentioned above...Free Prix Day on Friday; State Fair, Jazz Fest, and Arts, Beats, and Eats on Saturday; today we headed out to the Romeo Peach Festival (nice car show and tasty peach pie were the attractions; we probably won't return as it is too spread out throughout the community and not enough shuttles buses!). It was nice running into a few Forumers at the events too!!

Tomorrow we will hit Hamtramck Labor Day Festival early and then head back downtown to the Jazz Festival. Yes, it's been whirlwind, but we made sure to find time to relax, plus Dave also had gigs on Friday night and tonight, so I've been catching up on my "to do" list.

Pam

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could forget sports at the State Fair as far as I am concerned. I like the farm stuff and the crafts. I didn't notice the Miracle of Life had moved since I never go in there. Too squeamish.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the 3 days in the D wasnt planned but we went down yesterday and wandered around before we checked into the Courtyard by Marriott...

went to Greektown for lunch, wandered around some more down on the river, headed back to our hotel for a swim and a change before walking down to the Detroit Princess for our dinner cruise...

enjoyed the music walking back to the hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the fireworks display...

came home via Jefferson this morning...

d

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Pam and Kathleen about how disappointing the Fair was this year; the sports thing in the Ag Building was a letdown - I always enjoyed seeing the displays of home-grown produce and stuff like the largest pumpkin in captivity.

It seems, too, like the midway expanded to take up fully half of the fairgrounds, so it had more of a carnival than fair feel to it.

We went on an evening when the musical act was "TBA", and we thought we'll just chance it anyway, and that was a disappointment, too. It was "Great Impersonators" night; we sat through a middling Patsy Cline and a very cheesy Frank Sinatra and decided we had enough. Too bad, it's a far cry from the days when you could see a big name musical act there.

Papermoon

Pam

Post Number: 2503
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I always enjoyed seeing the displays of home-grown produce and stuff like the largest pumpkin in captivity.

There was some of that in the building next door. It just seemed smaller in scale. That was my only disappointment. The animals were all in their usual spots. I like the rabbit building. The DNR area had some live birds this year. That was new and interesting.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went to the fair on the 3rd with my mom. We had fun, but didn't do much...Just pretty much took in the sights and took pictures ate food and all that good stuff. Mom wanted to see Alice Cooper, but the tickets were sold out. 1st time I had been in 11 years.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.