Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Farthest point at which the Ren Cen can be seen « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was glad the weather had gotten so nice this afternoon and that blasted humidity had left. I was running errands, heading south on NW hwy approaching 13 mile and I was quite surprised that I was able to clearly make out the Renaissance Center. Yahoo calculates the driving distance from that point to the Ren Cen to be about 27 Miles. I imagine the actual distance is a little shorter. Has anyone else noticed this, or maybe even seen the towers from a further distance?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/104818.html

Cambrian

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx Mike. There were some impressive distances on that Thread. 32 Mile in Romeo, wow!

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was really interesting reading. Thanks for the link. Why do threads get closed? That one is pretty recent.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5186
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... lack of additional posts. If threads don't remain active, they fall to the bottom of the listings and get archived.

I believe the farthest that the RenCen can be viewed is from the top of the Perry Monument in Put-In-Bay Island in Lake Erie in Ohio.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 554
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A real intellectual must have come up with that thread before....anyways just a few days ago I took a couple of pics far on the north end of LAke Saint Clair at a restaurant at Palms and M-29 (look it up) It is a good distance from the Rencen in Ira Twp. Here are a few pics I took then...perfect for this new thread. This is not a professional camera but the skyline is easier to see with the naked eye and it is impressive to see it from so far away.
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/08-17-07 125.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/08-17-07 118.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/08-17-07 117.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/08-17-07 115.jpg

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 194
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool pics fareastsider... looks like the curvature of the earth blocks the buildings a bit!

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about 21 miles from NW HWY and 13 to downtown via the LODGE.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can see it perfectly from Rochester Hills
Dequinder? I think

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the Canadian side it can be seen approaching Windsor from between the French Line Road and Belle River Road exits on the 401--no idea how far out that is--but it's a good distance. In the winter when the foliage is bare, it's visible even a little further out

Cambrian

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a way to calculate crow fly distance other then with a map and ruler?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, Google Earth has a measuring tool that is very easy and helpful. :-)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 339
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see it from the south parking lot at Schoolcraft College on Haggerty Road between 6 and 7 Mile Road.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Using http://www.mapmyrun.com/create, it gives the distance of 19.8 miles "as the crow flies" from the intersection of 13 and NW to the Ren Cen.

Likewise, it is 32.0 miles from Palms and M-29 to the Ren Cen.

Using the methodology provided here, I calculate that at a distance of 32 miles, the theoretical fall-off below the horizon at sea level is 683 ft. However, atmospheric refraction over that distance makes the apparent position of an object look to be 222 ft. higher than it is (mirage effect). Also, the Ren Cen is built on ground that is about 20 ft. higher above sea level than Fareastsider's photo location.

Allowing for all of these factors, I estimate that in Fareastsider's photos we are seeing the upper 285 ft. of the hotel tower (which is 727 ft. tall) and the upper 80 ft. of Towers 100-400 (which are 522 ft. tall).

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Piffle. From my front door in Henderson, NV, I can easily see the peak of Mt. Charleston (just under 12,000 feet) 55 miles away. And it is much prettier than the RenCen. :-)

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Ray--is there a restaurant at the top?

Fareastsider

Post Number: 556
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can also see a couple of buildings next the the Renecen in the photo. Comerica? Penobscot? Cadillac Tower?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One at the 8,000 foot level, but no, not at the top. Good point.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 08-17-07117.jpg photo, I think I see four distinct buildings. From left to right, they would be the apartment tower at Nine Mile Rd. and Jefferson, the Ren Cen, One Detroit Center/Comerica Tower (606 ft. high) and the Penobscot Building (566 ft. high). Using the same methodology, I calculate that we are seeing the upper 165 ft. of the One Detroit Center/Comerica Tower and the upper 125 ft. of the Penobscot Building.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 558
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Work Mikeg very interesting!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5193
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love height statistics.... here's some more...

Penobscot to the top of the red ball: 625 ft.

One Detroit Center, the number in Emporis: 619 ft.

Renaissance Center Hotel. 727 ft. from the front entrance, BUT... 748 ft. tall from the waterside entrance.

Gps
Username: Gps

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing the RenCen from Rochester Hills when driving down a residential road called Falcon Drive off of Walton (University) Blvd.

That's about the same distance as seeing it from Dequindre in Rochester Hills.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow,
On A Clear Day you can see General Motors
from Muscamoot Bay. I hope GM can see far ahead.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 Mile and Center Street, Northville. From the top of the hill where the old Northville stands downtown Detroit is visible.

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a split second you can see the ren cen from 94 and (I think it's) Vining Road near the airport.

But the farthest away I have EVER seen Detroit from is an area of Metro Beach in Harrison Township. I forget which lot I was in, but it was a very clear day, and I could see that cluster of buildings that makes up the Detroit sky line.

I love driving in from Niagra Falls through windsor, and seeing the skyline come into view over those grass fields.
Or when you are travelling north on I-75, coming from out of town, and you get that GREAT view of those industrial refineries and steel mills, the ambassador bridge, and downtown Detroit.
That view is priceless

Cosine
Username: Cosine

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a clear day you can see the RenCen from the 1st tee at the Orchards Golf Club at 32 Mile Road, just west of the Van Dyke Highway.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quoting Goldensunshine -

"I love driving in from Niagra Falls through windsor, and seeing the skyline come into view over those grass fields.
Or when you are travelling north on I-75, coming from out of town, and you get that GREAT view of those industrial refineries and steel mills, the ambassador bridge, and downtown Detroit.
That view is priceless." ...

I fully agree - when I see those sights-I then know I'm home!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.