Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cure for BUMS « Previous Next »
Archive through August 26, 2007Warriorfan30 08-26-07  12:45 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,

I offered possible solutions; the problem is larger than us here on the forum. At least some are suggesting some positive things like Streetwise. Funny, I don't see where you have offered anything but fodder for arguments?

The pervasive "me" fixation is one thing that's wrong with this city; being a resident of a thriving city involves having a spirit of community which recognizes that all people should have access to a livable wage, mental health care, and housing. Clearly, some people out here lack that quality.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 827
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But are the shelter big enough for ALL of them? I bet some get turned away at night due to lack of space. Bet these guys do some begging to get through the night

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitprincess:
Quote: "These people are lazy and on drugs and they dont want to better themselves."

Exactly, they are where they are by the choices they made and continue to make. Each of us in our lives have obstacles we must overcome and trials we must put forth efforts to get through. We do so by choice and understand the consequences if we don't. These folks when confronted obviously caved in and gave up. Nobody told them to turn to drugs. Nobody told them to quit their jobs. Nobody forced them to drop out and beg. These are choices they made and it's their responsibility to correct it.

Some of the less intellectually endowed find them "charming" and feel Detroit is better off with them, even in the concentrations we are experiencing. As if they add something positive to the ambience.

The truth is very few, if any people want to be harassed and pestered while trying to walk from every point A to B in the city. It's going to be and is a huge deterrent for visitors and residents. If Detroit is serious about re-establishing the city's retail, they are going to have to do something about them.

They sit out in front of the old train station all day and play cards, drink beer and laugh it up, but they aren't doing it on my contributions.

Detroit needs to start fining people for donating to them.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One really serious problem about being homeless and trying to find work is the lack of an address. Most employers expect you to have an address, and maybe ID. Well, since the 9-11 security crackdown, you can't get a state ID card without an address. You can't get an address without $$ for a security deposit and a month's rent.

Maybe one solution would be to provide some kind of permanent address with a drop box for mail, and some way to shelter. The shelters now don't do that because they are set up for transients. Would it be possible to add a mailbox for people who apply for one, at shelters or soup kitchens?

At least that way, there would be a way for employers to contact them.

In one of my previous careers, I had to address the complaint of a homeless man who had stored his things at one of those storage places. He was threatened with eviction because he liked to spend time there with his things. All he had was a bike, and he would ride there to the storage place, I think in Warren, often. Well, I thought he has worked out a pretty good solution but the storage place thought otherwise.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan,

So apparently you're an expert on shelters now too; how do you know whether a panhandler has a home or not? Do you ask? Unless they're squatting it's highly doubtful that begging all day pays the rent. Oh wait, you equate temporary shelter with a home- we should all be so lucky!

As for using HOMELESS and PANHANDLER interchangeably, check out the other posts; I'm not alone. In fact, you yourself did so on the panhandler thread; I quote the research YOU posted:

"It's not bad luck, mental illness or deinstitutionalization that is causing a rise in the homeless population, but a rise in substance abuse, according to research by the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. Dr. Carol S. North says drug and alcohol abuse is not the only reason for homelessness, but a major contributor."

Check yourself before you go on the attack!

None
Username: None

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, how many here have ever been a victim of circumstance and found themselves homeless, I for one have been there done that, Thank God for some of the mentors in my life and the wisdom they bestowed upon me to deal with just such a situation and rise above it, however not everyone is so equipped to deal with such devastation of their self esteem.

There's an old adage "Never judge a man till you have walked a mile in their shoes"

If you were to have meet the same circumstances in life as some of these individuals, would you not be the same, sure we can argue free will and the such , but the fact remains a man is a product of their environment and if nobody ever taught them the skills for survival how can you expect them to be anything else, but victims of circumstance.

I for one think Streetwise is a wonderful idea and have the first 500$ towards it's inception, What say you?

http://www.streetwise.org/

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 780
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for using HOMELESS and PANHANDLER interchangeably, check out the other posts; I'm not alone. In fact, you yourself did so on the panhandler thread; I quote the research YOU posted:

"It's not bad luck, mental illness or deinstitutionalization that is causing a rise in the homeless population, but a rise in substance abuse, according to research by the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. Dr. Carol S. North says drug and alcohol abuse is not the only reason for homelessness, but a major contributor."

Check yourself before you go on the attack!

Well, I was simply quoting a source, I didn't choose the words. But the point remains, that the single adult male homeless population comprise most of the homeless substance abusers and they also comprise most of the panhandlers. Coincidence?

I have sympathy for the homeless, I don't have sympathy for ANY able-bodied adult who panhandles, plain and simple, because there is no reason for them to be panhandling when there are services widely available that will provide them with the basics (food, shelter, clothing, etc).

Not all homeless are panhandlers (in fact, most aren't) and not all panhandlers are homeless. If I've used them interchangably, then I apologize but the fact remains that both this thread and the other thread are dealing with panhandlers and not the general homeless population and criticism of the former does not equate to criticism of the latter.

Let me ask you this Oakmangirl, what do YOU think that the majority of panhandlers are using that money for? Like you said, they aren't using it to pay rent. They can eat for free at any number of public, private, or church-based shelters or soup kitchens around the city. So what do you think that money is going towards? Seriously, I want to know what these able-bodied adult male panhandlers are using that money for, in your expert opinion.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add me to the List, None. If we can come up with something, that would be great!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 815
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago one of the local TV stations followed 4 beggars and found that they all lived in area group homes because of mental illness. Hopefully the person with the responsibility of watching them lost their job.

When there are so many charities that could use donations in a much more productive way it makes no sense to me to give money to beggars when you have no idea how they will use the money.

If I had a relative who was really down and out I would certainly help them, but I would put conditions on the help I was giving them. I would demand to know what they were planning to do with the money and may even want to see receipts or even go with them to make the purchase if I thought they might have a drug problem. Addictions can help cause a person to become down and out and being down and out can make a person susceptible to addiction problems. If I'm going to put conditions on money that I would give to a friend/relative, I'm certainly not going to hand over money to a complete stranger and hope that he/she uses the money in a productive manner.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "If we can come up with something, that would be great!"

There already is something, it's called welfare and any of us that are working are contributing heavily to it.

There is absolutely no excuse for these folks walking the streets and pretending to be living a third world country, like there is no hope for them, and they need your help.

What amazes me is how many people continually fall for their scam. Wanna piss one off? Tell em' to go to social services.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, you also need an address and ID to get welfare. Once you are homeless, you are shut out of all systems. You can't get an ID, can't get welfare, can't rent a permanent address.

None

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe

Consider it done, I will contact Streetwise for the basic game plan as to implement such a project and go from there, my skills are mostly street smart in nature, however my business skills are sorely lacking and any help on how to speak with local business leaders for support would be greatly appreciated.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a good schmoozer, but also lacking in business sense. Anybody here got any? I would think the downtown businesses would be especially interested in something like this, starting with the Ilitches.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 828
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A cure for Bums? Maybe there is a vaccine for them???

Detroitprincess
Username: Detroitprincess

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Let me know if you find the vaccine Miss_cleo. :-)

I don't care about the reason why they are a bum. I care about what is being done by themselves and the city. I have had troubles in my past. I almost filed bankruptcy and lost everything. I picked myself back up and now I am very successful and have everything I want. You know why? I made a choice! We do not need to hire extra police to ticket or fine people giving money to these bums. BUT the police we do have out there should stop people and fine them as they see it happening. Those fines can go towards shelters or job programs to help the bums. I do not think the police should look the other way. I work hard for my money. I also donate to charities all the time. Every week when I get paid. I send a portion to a charity. I also round up clothes of mine once a month and give to the salvation army. I do what I can. There are jobs everywhere. Like the homeless guy, I helped out. I gave him some decent clothes to wear and went up to Eastern Market to help him get a job. He works at a produce vendor. He also cleans the inside of a church on Woodward for $41.00 a week. He came over to show me his first paycheck. I was proud. It might not be a lot of money. It is a start! it is giving him work experience. He has a chance to meet the right people and soon find a better paying job. Detroit police to clean up the panhandlers along the riverfront. We need it enforce throughout downtown. This will make it so much nicer! I am not here to complain, I want to be part of the solution. I am here looking for other people to do there part. Any suggestions or solutions? I am all ears!

Detroitprincess

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None & Gazhekwe-

You get me the contacts, I will give them a call and start a program to get these bums an address and IDs. Then they can apply for welfare to get them started but not live on forever. They should also get into a work program. I have a lot of business sense and I have owned 2 companies. I do know how to get things done. I would be joyed to make the calls. Thanks!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4844
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some "Bums" are homeless due to problems beyond their control such as mental disorders. Many cant just "pick themselves up" like stated earlier.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 320
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possibly I'm drawing a bit of a harsh line and broad-brushing with panhandlers. It's discouraging and frustrating to know in a country like the US, with it's enormous cash flow and resources that there IS even an issue like "homelessness". Sure, there are as many reasons for it as there is solutions. The point is, this country between 1965 and 2000 spent over 8 trillion dollars on welfare alone. Nobody should be homeless. And we're spending even more now on it. Incidently that figure mirrors the staggering national debt.

And it seems like such an disgrace that citizens have to start a privately funded campaign and program in an attempt to remedy the problem. In the shadow of so much frivolous government spending. Instead of spending your own money twice on the problem, you would do well to organize an effort for the state to recognize these folks and afford some sort of program If there isn't one already. Instead of grabbing a shovel and working months, hire a bulldozer and get it done in an afternoon.

This thread has opened my eyes a bit to the problem. But, I still think the majority of them have no reason to be there.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick,

This thread comprises mainly people who see "bums" in a very stereotypical way; there is a lot of ignorance and little empathy. Ignorance is only bad when people choose to remain that way. Funny, because most people posting here are saying that people who beg "choose" their lifestyle and are "filthy animals" because of their situation, yet these same people "choose" to be ignorant and myopic because they refuse to recognize the humanity in all of us whether we beg or not. I thought our cognitive ability and conscience is what set us apart from other animals?

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bums and crackheads that infest this city ARE filthy animals. Only in Detroit do regular people have to deal with getting hustled and hassled on every block. It is not like that in other cities and it is not like that anywhere else in Michigan.

None

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitprincess

I already sent Streetwise an email requesting information and will post the results when they reply, thank you for the offer I'm sure it will come in real handy soon.

As for the welfare thing thats 180 degrees from the point, It's a hand up not a hand out kind of thing with Streetwise building self confidence through a work program that requires nothing more than showing up with the willingness to succeed.

The address issue, that might be a tough nut to crack, disseminating mail to others through a common address is a felony, I'm sure one could work with the post office or one of the local shelters to remedy the situation however.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4811
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bottom of page

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 280

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:03 pm: Edit PostDelete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
The bums and crackheads that infest this city ARE filthy animals. Only in Detroit do regular people have to deal with getting hustled and hassled on every block. It is not like that in other cities and it is not like that anywhere else in Michigan.

No where else eh? Methinks you live in another Michigan then...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4812
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they are animals as opposed to just peopl right? Nice way to dehumanize them so you can think less of them. God willing YOU will never come to find yourself in that position...

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 604
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In A2 a couple of years ago, while walking into a restaurant with my family, we were approached by a very aggressive person who appeared homeless. He reeked of urine, his clothes were tattered, and his skin was visibly filthy. He inserted himself in front of our path and proceeded to discuss his financial needs and how I should assist him. He would not accept my offer for food from the restaurant. I gave him nothing.

Granted, this is a DYes forum about Detroit, however, I've had many similar incidents over the years in various cities other than Detroit. In some cases, the person has proceeded to berate me after not receiving what he wanted. Atlantic City, Philadelphia, Columbus (OH), L.A., and even Orlando (FL) have provided me with these type of experiences.

Detroitprincess

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin-
They act like animals by how they live, how aggressive they are. Let's not bring GOD into this. I know for a fact I will never find myself in that position. Because I would make a choice to work even if it was low wages, I would work 2 jobs if I had to. I would do what it takes to go up hill. Again, You make your own choices. I am not here to debate this. I dont care why they became homeless. I do not mind coming up with solutions to fix the problems. I have already offered some ideas. I am here to help get other ideas and people involved to make a difference and clean up the city!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl-

Stop putting words in others mouths that weren't said. If you can't find the ammo you need in what has been said, then don't invent stuff and try to use it to back your play. It ain't getting it. One person who chimed in late here used the "filthy animal" terminology, not the rest of us. The rest of us are still waiting for you to answer my questions as to what you are doing about it personally.

Take note of what None, Gazhekwe and Detroitprincess (particularly her post 15, where she explains, in detail, her personal effort to help one unfortunate soul come back from the brink of oblivion). She is a realist providing a clear example of how it gets done. She is not bitching on a forum about how hard it is to get things done in this poor, broken down city.

You should follow HER example, as her's is a righteous cause. Note how quickly they all network together and offer each other the impetus to start change. That has been my point with you all along, but instead of confronting my point you weakly attacked my character and that of the other realists trying to provide answers to this complex issue. It took them all of two posts. You've posted about TWO DOZEN times and not even offered a trinket of useful participation to the thread. Even by your post 186 you still haven't got it quite right.

As for not providing suggestions, did you not read my post 159, paragraphs six through eight?
In case you didn't catch it, those were some of my ideas. And no, this problem is not larger than us on this forum. Indeed, the solution starts with us, right here and right now.

It starts with people like Detroitprincess, who boldly stepped-up and provided firm support for a homeless person. It goes on when people like None find out how Streetwise works and applies it's principles to the streets of Detroit. It happens when folks like Gazhekwe volunteer even when they don't feel like they have the skills but just have to do something to help. It happens when the Rev pays it forward.

It does not happen when you use a forum to do nothing but bitch.

Stylin-

Don't let the dude set the hook! The shark does not speak for all.

Stash-

Don't apologize for telling the truth. Your post 317 tells it like it is. No need to clarify or back down. It is the truth.

The bottom line is that if you have the ability to help someone out you should. It is a shame that the government doesn't properly allocate the funding to assist these folks, but the reality is they don't so the burden falls to us. A wise man once said about 2000 years ago "....The sick will always be with you..." and I believe that to be true. No matter who is responsible for their well being, the current situation is abhorrent. Panhandling and bums are a distraction to a cities revitalization and will hinder Detroit's ability to become a world class city.

There have been some good suggestions given her by the other contributors and I would encourage others to follow those examples and take this city back from those who have stolen it from all of us!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitprincess, you obviously are blaming the "bums" for their situation, as you espouse personal responsibility in the midst of your degradations.

However, you don't address those who are mentally ill. What about those "bums"?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4845
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"walk a mile in their shoes"

Good quote indeed. I am not defending those who fucked around or slacked off and became homeless but MANY are "bums" due to things bigger than themselves. People are people. Sure, it sucks to be bugged by one but put yourself in their shoes for a few mins.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9866
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think in Chicago they sell those newspapers. There are people on every corner selling the papers. If you buy one and carry it under your arm, the others don't bug you. What is that? I don't remember what the paper was about.

The same idea was in place in Detroit for a short time over the last couple of years. The deal was that half of the cost went to the paper and the other half went to the person selling. It didn't seem to take off since I haven't seem it abuot in awhile. I always boought them when I had the chance for the limited time.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9867
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also as I've always said "McDonalds is always hiring". Go take a shower at a center and get a job.

If only that were true.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for downloading the digital image of my american flag on a toothpick. Can you help me out with some change?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I decided to try out this notion of putting myself in their shoes. The remarkable thing was that, no matter how much I tried to walk to a variety of assorted locations, the shoes kept forcing me back to spots that were within fifty yards of a liquor store. I didn't get much accomplished, but I met a whole bunch of guys whose shoes seemed to have the same predilection. With us already being so close to the store, and all, we were hoping that some naive dame with misplaced, undeserved compassion in one pocket, and a whole bunch of loot in the other, would come by and have some sympathy for us over the dirty trick these fuckin' shoes pulled on all of us, and maybe see her way clear to treating us to some pints, but nobody like that ever came by. What a disappointment. I tell ya, people ain't shit, anymore.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,

You mean the paragraph where you suggest that I singlehandedly start a grass roots movement? You were once again attacking me, not making a direct, sincere attempt at offering solutions. Let's see.. I suggested possible solutions, as the problem is way larger than us; you never got back to me on that one. I donate time, money, and materials throughout the year to those less fortunate; again what is it that YOU do besides perpetuate ignorance?

Only one person using the phrase "filthy animals"? Wrong again. Your "righteous" Detroitprincess coined that one early on.

I support the inception of Streetwise here, although I think it has been suggested by some for the wrong reason; I still think it's empowering and spreads awareness. I can only afford $25; want to match that amount?

"She is not bitching on a forum about how hard it is to get things done in this poor, broken down city."

Yeah, she was sort of bitching but offering ideas too. Where did I say or imply the latter?

If it's considered bitching to advocate on this forum for disadvantaged people especially when they have been dehumanized, than I guess I am a bitch.

As for this personal argument, it's really tiresome to try and change someone's mis-perceptions, so let's give it a rest.

Read the recent suggestion made in the panhandler thread about contacting Lowell to start a forum-based volunteer group; I think that's the best idea yet for the city and ALL its residents.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl-

I really think that you have a reading comprehension problem along with your inability to provide answers for your pie-in-the-sky ideals on saving the panhandlers and bums in this city. Your mis-guided attempt at placing your problems with the way things are in other's laps and walking away after stirring the pot is a piece of work that I personally haven't seen in quite some time. I bet you graduated from the Ted Kennedy school of public handouts. By the way, you haven't really seen me on a personal attack. That gets much worse than pointing out your obvious character flaws which you have so brilliantly displayed for all to see here.

I was being somewhat sarcastic when I brought up the singlehandedly statement, hoping to invoke some thought and ideas so that we could explore some avenues to correct the problems that you pointed out. Once again, instead of providing some rational candor, you resort to personal diatribes and jabs.

I have been refraining from listing the various things that I try to do to make a difference, but below is a brief list of MY volunteer activities, just so you can pull your twisted-up panties out of your ass and stop moaning.

1.) Currently, I volunteer at Fort Wayne. My wife and I are historic preservation carpenters and have given over 100 hours to the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition this year. We enjoy being able to give back to the city.
2.) I volunteer one Saturday a month to either FOCUS Hope's food bank or Gleaners. I try to help arrange boxes of food for the less fortunate and I also try to deliver the food to them as well. I have been doing this for many years.
3.) I am a volunteer mentor to Big Brothers/Big Sisters and have been for over 25 years. I currently mentor two inner city kids and try to help them with their homework and to discover alternative ways to study SO THAT THEY CAN BETTER THEMSELVES.
4.) For over two years I volunteered two nights a week and 1 weekend a month to working on the Wayne County Internet Taskforce on Child Pornography, catching pediphiles.
5.) I was a volunteer reserve policeman in the 15th precinct for two years from 1984-1986.
6.) I was an EMT/Paramedic 1 for EMS from 1978 through 1981.
7.) I voluntarily joined and served in the United States military from 1981 to 1984.
8.) Participated in the Motor City Makeover cleanup project in the Delray area for the last three years.
9.) Work as a volunteer mentor for the Randolph School at Fort Wayne.

Unfortunately, I don't have much more personal time to donate. I would really like to do more.

Also, I have provided plenty of suggestions for the solution to the problems in both of these threads. You have done very little to add to those suggestions, not being proactive in the conversation, but being reactive. If you believe so strongly in your way of things, please provide something other than personal attacks as a response. It would be refreshing to have you as a participant in the conversation for once.

And learn the principles of debate so that you can provide answers that can lead to effective change, not add to the confusion that already exists. The point that you have missed, in it's entirety, is that we all agree that this is a problem and something needs to be done.

Lowell doesn't need to get involved:there are plenty of other avenues. How about starting your OWN forum and gathering some people to do something? Why can't you provide the impetus for a start-up, just like None and Detroitprincess?
By the way, there is a difference in calling someone a "filthy animal" and saying "they ACT like filthy animals." Again, I see that the English language and it's various usages and applications elude you.

Finally, I have read those suggestions and have applauded the efforts of those who have contributed positively with realistic suggestions, not vague references. I have tried challenging you, to no avail, to make a contribution, but the best you can do is whine.

I apologize if pointing out the truth of your inability to deliver here is so painfully obvious, but, as usual, you have provided no input worth contemplating.

If you are going to advocate for some cause, you need to provide answers for the complaints you are raising to be part of the solution.You have failed to do so at every juncture of thi conversation. I am not attacking you PERSONALLY, just your way of thinking. To get back on topic, panhandlers and bums are a problem and a deterrent to the growth of a city, particularly in Detroit.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do what they did on SouthPark, move them to California!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an article with the history and workings of Streetwise. They say Streetwise is thinking about launching a paper in Detroit. As far as I can tell, the article is from 2005. Let's hope we hear something on their possibilities soon.

http://www.jlholdings.com/news .htm

There is also a reference to a coalition of about 30 similar papers:

Michael Stoops, director the Washington, D.C.-based National Coalition for the Homeless.

Stoops runs the North American Street Newspaper Association, an organization Lofchie helped start in Chicago in 1996. The organization has about 30 member papers ,and Stoops estimates that there are 40 "street papers" in the US.

More potential resources!

I am thinking, in addition to the business community, there is Focus Hope, Detroit Rescue Mission, the Archdiocese of Detroit, COTS are good support organizations that might provide some help and insights into this project.

Now, the business community.... Would anyone venture to list who might be good? Ilitch family, Greektown Merchants Association, Crain's, Southwest Detroit Business Association, Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce...

The approach might be to assist in the Downtown development by making everyone more comfortable, providing an acceptable venue for the homeless to earn money and reduce stress on visitors. Grant proposals could be written, once we have some info on the scope of the project, and we could enlist the help groups as supporters and workers on the project.

Maybe Streetwise already has something started per that article, that would be great. There needs to be a media campaign to explain what the purpose is and get the buy-in of the visitors to support the program by buying the papers.

I've run into a guy selling those toothpick flags. The problem with that is the lack of community buy in and support. It's just him, so others don't recognize the flag as community support.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link to teh North American Street Newspaper Association. They have a page on starting a newspaper. There don't appear to be any members in Michigan.

http://www.nasna.org/home1.htm l

Plymouthres

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice post, Gazhekwe! You are certainly onto something there. Keep up the good work.

I know that Teen Challenge is another large, church based self-help organization. You may have heard of the guy that started it all before, David Wilkerson. His story was portrayed in a movie from long ago called "The Cross and the Switchblade".

They boast an impressive redemption rate. I used to volunteer my time as a peer mentor with them.

Habitat for Humanity strikes me as another training ground whereby volunteering to help, people could make a huge difference and learn a trade. You can start at each of these places with no experience.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe,

Thanks for the great link; I'm really dedicated to seeing this happen and am willing to donate time and money to help. Does anyone know if Streetwise has been tried here before? If not, why? I'm just trying to get an idea of who to contact; it seems we need to work through/with a non-profit as an adjunct.

Anyway, to get this underway, I am offering to collect names and e-mail contact info of those out here who want to get involved.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None has e-mailed Streetwise for info, so we will hopefully have some idea on whether it has been tried here. If they were thinking of it, and have not gotten in yet, maybe we can provide some support and impetus to get it going.

Somebody in the media who is particularly interested in homeless issues: Quinn Klinefelter at WDET.

None

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe

"Here's the link to the North American Street Newspaper Association."

Incredible resource, Thank you so much for the link everything I ever wanted to know in one place good call.

I am waiting for a for a reply from Streetwise as we speak and will post the results shortly.

Thank you all for the kind words and inspiration, may this be the dawn of a new day for those less fortunate than us, as they say the journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step and here we go.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have any of you tried Klinefelter? I have time to e-mail him today.

None

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl

Sounds like a good idea to me, as he could be a very valuable resource.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn interviewed a homeless man that he knows a few weeks ago on Detroit Today. I looked and couldn't find a the interview at WDET.org. He knows the man from riding the bus where the man hangs out. I think the man's name was TC something. I wish I could remember the last name, but it's one of those things that will remain shrouded in the fog of middle age memory. :P

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I'm new to the site. I find this site quite interesting and this thread caught my attention. I admit that I'm not much of an organizer but I'd like to help in some fashion to reduce the issue of homelessness and panhandlers in the city.

Could someone create a distribution list of email addresses and we can politic on what each person can do to alleviate this problem?

I can be reached at sprucemcgoose1x@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thread. I really like the idea of starting a street newspaper in Detroit.

In DC, we have Street Sense. I make sure to buy every issue, preferably from Conrad (my favorite vendor). The vendors get $0.75 out of every dollar. My guy Conrad makes enough off selling the paper where he's able to rent a room now. He's also doing some work for Street Sense TV, which is an affiliated cable access show.

These papers are written mostly by the homeless themselves. It's interesting to get their take on their situation, and uplifting to see how many of them refuse to quit. Very quickly, you learn just how little it takes to get put on the street.

I should add that street newspapers tend to have *very* strict requirements about who is allowed to sell their paper. The only downside I see in Detroit is the sporadic nature of pedestrian traffic (which is the typical customer base).

www.streetsense.org

None

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

sauzelamise@gmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
UNKNOWN_USER: No such user

Ok what did I do wrong, tried it twice no luck and yes gmail is my email provider

Welcome to the forum Crumbled_pavement, your screen name is great, really sums up Michigan roads well, Thanks for the smile.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CYE, Oakman Girl, I think mine got through.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooops, no, it came back. :-(

Permanent Failure: 550_5.1.1_No_such_user_h14si84 73432wxd
Delivery last attempted at Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:50:37 -0000

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, everyone...my French is as spotty as my typing.

It's sauvelamise@gmail.com

For real; I tested it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.