Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Moving Back to the Metro... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After a year and a half in Charlotte, NC...

My family and I are headed back to Detroit. Its been a good year, but it will be nice to return. I'm interested to see what's changed in that relatively short time span.

Looking forward to seeing many of you again in the near future!

Craig

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back, Craig! It seems we all return eventually :-)

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 447
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As my friend says, "Sea turtles and Michigan natives all return to where they came from at some point." Hope you find pleasant changes.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully, your new home is near the new, expansive light rail network servicing the Tri-County area! :-)

...wait...you said it's only been a year and a half. Nevermind.

Welcome home!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were you in Charlotte, NC because of the economy?

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im considering a move to Charlotte within the next 5 years. What did you think of it

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are asking me, I like Detroit better in basically every way, except for the economy. Charlotte is a nice 'family town' but there isn't really a whole lot to do here for 24 year olds. The architecture isn't all that awesome (my profession), the city isn't laid out very well, the schools are overcrowded, there are water shortages (Charlotte is on the back side of the mountains like Denver), same crime as any other urban areas, and it isn't as dense as Detroit. Aside from the economy, people always argue that the weather is nicer here in Charlotte than Detroit, but most people don't choose where to live based on the weather. If you like 100s in the summer though, then this is the place for you! Charlotte is sort of like a small Atlanta. A few other good things about Charlotte might be the fact that they do do a lot of mixed use developments (not too many subdivision type stuff) and almost always have a parking deck for each development as opposed to sprawling parking lots.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, Charlotte really lacks all of the history that cities such as Detroit have. Sure Charlotte was the intersection of two trading routes, which led to the formation of it being the banking capitol, and the cotton mills and all that, but it is still a relatively new city. There aren't that many industrial buildings to turn into lofts, the downtown high rises have all been built with their EFIS facades in the last few years...

Craggy

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I originally came down here for a new job.

Well...as a 40 year old, Charlotte has a lot to offer. The economy is doing much better. Taxes are lower overall. There are some really nice neighborhoods, THE WEATHER (yes, it does matter, especially as you get older) great golf, close to some great beaches, and the NC mountains are sweet.

This heat wave is brutal though. We've set records several days in the last few weeks. That said, I was digging 60 degrees in January.

To echo Paul...the city doesn't seem to have much of a feel to it. Nowhere near as many cultural offerings...but part of that is due to the fact that Charlotte was a small city until about 20 years ago. They are trying to build new museums, light rail, etc...

But some of the yokels down here will do anything to stop any type of progress. They think its still 1950.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"close to some great beaches, and the NC mountains are sweet."

I can't get over the fact though that Charlotte is neither here nor there. It isn't in the mountains neither like Asheville nor on the coast like Wilmington or Charleston. It is probably about three hours to the mountains or three hours the other direction to the beach!

Another point, Charlotte is a LOT more integrated than Detroit. Sure there are still areas that are predominately black or white, but race isn't nearly as divisive an issue here in Charlotte as in Detroit metro. That is a big PLUS in my opinion. Also, there is no "Mexican Town" or area where there are large concentrations of them. They also too are rather spread out through large areas of the city.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But some of the yokels down here will do anything to stop any type of progress. They think its still 1950."

I bet that a majority of people in Charlotte aren't from Charlotte and didn't grow up in the Carolinas. Seems that more are from the Midwest or New England areas. However, the locals still run the City of Charlotte. With that being the case I don't know that Charlotte is really headed in the right direction on every issue.

Craggy

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely, Paul...

I'm just one of a million or so of the Northern invaders.

As for the mountains...it took me 1 1/2 hours to get to Blowing Rock the other day. Gorgeous place. Granfather mountain is also pretty cool.

Straight north from Hickory. Also...Asheville is only 2 hours away...its like Driving to Kalamazoo. Hilton Head, 3 1/2...Myrtle, 3 hours. Its really not bad.

We did a lot of weekend trips while we were here. Much like Detroit, you are only a short drive from some really nice things to do.

One shortcoming? NO WATER. I miss the lakes.

As far as politics down here is considered...I have been covering this stuff for a year, and I still haven't figured it all out.

This place in the future could either be a huge success, or a huge mess.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As far as politics down here is considered...I have been covering this stuff for a year, and I still haven't figured it all out."

LOL. I have my Ballantyne tie on for church this morning that I earned after a meeting with Mr. Bissell the other week. Hopefully I am moving on up in Charlotte.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 429
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought Charlotte's road network was designed by a spider trying to build a web but happened to take a hit of acid first.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the downtown high rises have all been built with their EFIS facades in the last few years..."

EFIS facade?

Had to look that one up on wikipedia:
Exterior Insulation Finishing System

See that stuff all the time now but didn't know it had a specific name. Thanks for pointing that out.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought Charlotte's road network was designed by a spider trying to build a web but happened to take a hit of acid first.

Puts a new light on Charlotte's Web.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Puts a new light on Charlotte's Web."
LOL

One other really interesting thing about Charlotte (and probably most cities in the south), is that status isn't based on race like it is in Detroit. Status in the south isn't as obvious as the color of your skin, rather it is based on what church you go to, the family that you were born into (or at least marry in to), the school that you send your kids to, and the property that you own. Developers rule in Charlotte!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you wouldn't call this a grid system: http://meckbirds.org/spots/map s/county.jpg

No roads really go straight (except for in downtown which is called uptown in Charlotte) where even then the straight roads are on a 45 degree angle grid so you loose the purpose of the cardinal points (North, South, East, and West). Roads change names basically at every intersection. There are about four roads with the name Sharon that all intersect each other. Also for example, coming southbound on Providence you can 'bear right' onto Queens or turn right on to Queens depending how sharp of a turn you make: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/m ap.adp?searchtype=address&coun try=US&addtohistory=&searchtab =home&formtype=address&popflag =0&latitude=&longitude=&name=& phone=&level=&cat=&address=que ens+and+providence&city=charlo tte&state=nc&zipcode= All in all, pretty goof ass if you ask me.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info on EFIS, interesting.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 374
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my understandings, much of NC's cultural centers are in its older, more established cities like Winston-Salem and Raleigh-Durham. Seems like Charlotte basically popped up out of nowhere as an "off-the-beaten-path" type city to put all the nation's high profile corporate banks. Since, that brought a boom with it, it seems like the state and country decided to do what makes sense and run with the growth and call the metropolis, "Metrolina": North Carolona/South Carolina border.

I've also heard that Charlotte has no mercy for its historic structures and that if something stands in the way of modern progress, its plowed down.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've also heard that Charlotte has no mercy for its historic structures and that if something stands in the way of modern progress, its plowed down."

Yeah, downtown Charlotte is basically five year old high rises popping out of a parking lot. Like picture that gravel lots behind the Fox in Detroit surrounding brand new high rises.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EISF--
I didn't know what that surface was called. I've always called it "fake stucco." I've seen a few buildings where the foam has delamininated from the building. I'll bet in 20 years those buildings are going to look awful. It'll look worse than the '70's era board and batten siding that went up when John Denver was popular. THAT's a look that hasn't held up.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've also heard that Charlotte has no mercy for its historic structures and that if something stands in the way of modern progress, its plowed down."

And how is this different from Birmingham, or Rochester for that matter, where its tear down and build bigger?

Dinnc
Username: Dinnc

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I currently live in Raleigh, NC, not quite as big as Charlotte but growing just the same. I moved down here to follow my wife who couldn't find a teaching job in Michigan to save her life.

I hope one day to move back. No more suburbs though, Detroit city all the way!!

Rocket_city

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And how is this different from Birmingham, or Rochester for that matter, where its tear down and build bigger?"

I don't know. I was referring to Charlotte...the downtown (sorry "Uptown") highrise district mainly. I'm assuming you're referencing Birmingham and Rochester's (MI?) single family home demolition and replacement with "big foot" large homes. I guess that's related, but not quite what I was focused on. I just meant that significant historic structures that would and should and could be saved and rehabbed in central Charlotte are usually not, if they are standing in the way of a major development. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.