Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Metropolitan Bldg. Falling Down! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A large portion of the limestone facing of the Northeast upper corner of this bldg came down recently. It crashed into the alley behind Det Beer Co. There is now temporary fencing which restricts access to this alley. You will see the trash dumpsters from Small Plates and DBC now located in the lonely open parcel at John R & Broadway.

It may not take too many of the kinds of storms we have had recently to really kick this building in the knees.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was struck by lightning a little while back.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet good-bye metropolitan building... city will have that down toot sweet.

That's not a good story, and perception wise, an empty building with parts that fall off will start a landslide PR chain reaction.

(Message edited by digitalvision on August 24, 2007)

Docmo

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have started walking on the south side of John R when traveling between Broadway and Woodward.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3084
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sensationalism at its finest! A piece of facade falling off a building is not indicative of a failure of the structural system. Many times, an event like this can be traced back to a deteriorated anchorage, i.e. poor building maintenance.

Any photos???

Digitalvision

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I know the facts, Danindc - but that doesn't register to most folks.

They see the facade come off, and go "building is falling down." Let us remember the lady who got whapped in the head in the 1950's or 60's that created the ugly-facade revolution downtown.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That woman actually died from her injuries.

Danindc

Post Number: 3085
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh, I know the facts, Danindc - but that doesn't register to most folks.

They see the facade come off, and go "building is falling down." Let us remember the lady who got whapped in the head in the 1950's or 60's that created the ugly-facade revolution downtown.

I know. I'm only too familiar with "armchair engineers". Ugh.

It's a shame that something like this is allowed to happen. I think such an incident is a good indication that the city needs to step up enforcement on building owners. We certainly don't need to see a new rash of modernist glass boxes all over the place!

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If by "allowed to happen" you mean the carelessness of leaving a building sitting right out in the open where it could get struck by lightning, then yes, it is a shame.

The city owns the building. They are actively seeking redevelopment of this building but it has some logistical issues that other buildings don't face. The building, and the facade, are not being neglected. It was struck by lightning, that is why part of the facade fell off.

It is not going to start a downward PR spiral about downtown building maintenance, other than the spinning out of control that is happening on this thread.

And it is not going to be demolished because of one natural accident. The city moved quickly to clean up the mess and to make sure there will be no random terra cotta pieces falling to earth.

From a financial perspective, the triangular shape of the lot makes it much more cost effective to rehabilitate the building (taking advantage of historic tax credits and the like) than to demolish and market the empty lot for difficult new construction.

Danindc

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^How does electricity dislodge the facade anchorage? That's not covered in any of the design manuals or texts I have. Someone better tell the International Building Code about this....

The City needs to maintain their properties before someone gets hurt.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did this just happen during the recent storm? The time of the post makes me think so.

If so, it's entirely possible it wasn't lightning, but the insanely heavy winds we experienced this evening (Jerry Hodak, the weatherman, was saying this is the strongest storm he's seen in awhile around here). That makes way more sense than lightning. But I ain't an architect.

I agree, dial4 - maybe it's a good thing that the city doesn't have a very zealous liability department, because I am sure a liability lawyer would look at that and want to make sure all the bases are covered.

If someone were to get hurt from falling facade pieces and the city gets sued, that's major bucks.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 406
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This didn't just happen from the recent storm... the building has been fenced off for more than a week (probably two, I cannot remember).

Docmo

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been around two weeks and it is a very large chunk of the facade. It is approximately 15 feet of the entire upper floor facade which has fallen down. This building may have structural integrity; it remains an unsafe structure to stand near as it is, in fact, falling down.

Dial,
Did anyone see a lightening strike? I highly doubt that. There is definitely no evidence remaining on the building of a previous lightening strike. The DBC, Small Plates and 1515 Broadway have complained for a long time about occasional building pieces in that alley. Talk to any of the guys who work back in that alley. It is a scary place to be, even with a hardhat on.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish some lightning would hit the tiles at the bottom of the Lafeyette building. After reading the thread on it about here, I paid more attention when I went by it the other day. HOLY CRAP that is ugly. That could NEVER have looked good.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 349
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bricks have been systematically falling off the building for about six years now; the only difference is they used to fall on a lower part of the building that protrudes towards the back and are now falling in the alley on the side, making it more of a hazard. The lightning strike theory is silly.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11664
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lightning causing buildings to crumble? LMAO Yeah, sure, a natural accident was the cause. The decades of neglect had absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

That's like saying that the footsteps from the people walking around taking pictures of "old slumpy" were the ones responsible for the facade collapsing before their eyes.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3036
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When trees explode from lightning strikes it's because the moisture inside instantly vaporizes into steam. I could believe that's also possible with a piece of a building but the odds are, well, less than being struck by lightning.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Chicken Littles, you believe what you want to believe.

A very brief google search did reveal the following:

quote:

There can be damage as a result of a direct lightning strike. Such damage may include damage to roofing materials, structures such as chimneys, heating or air conditioning units located on the roof or exterior of a building, or fires caused by lightning igniting combustible material, such as wood-frame buildings or flammable liquids or vapors.

http://www.rbs2.com/blitz.htm

That guy has a PhD in physics, among other credentials which are viewable at that site.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yes, it did happen a few weeks ago.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9579
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, I've seen chimneys struck by lightning and they've been pulverized with bricks scattered for 50' around.

While rare, never underestimate the power of lightning - especially if a building isn't properly grounded ie; prepared for a lightning hit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"an act of God"

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here you go Danindc:

http://www.flickr.com/search/? q=metropolitan%20building%20de troit&w=all

Hockey_player

Post Number: 350
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the lightning from a few weeks back retroactively caused all the bricks on the back and other side of the building to fall as well? Because those have been falling for years, in the exact same manner as the bricks on the east side have recently come down.

Seems more sensible to think the recently dislodged pieces fell off the same way as the bricks that have been falling off all along.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 351
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I suppose this sign:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t oybreaker/19589031/

was put there six years ago for no reason.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also, I suppose this sign: was put there six years ago for no reason."

Hahahahahahaha !

no shit

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.