Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Big brick house on mound « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tokennojokin
Username: Tokennojokin

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a big brick house on mound between 11 & 12 mile that sits way back in the woods. Does anyone know if there is any history with this house.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The house belonged to Bobby Vinton. Back when more poles lived in Warren, he was in town all the time. The people of Warren all chipped in and bought him this house.

Sonny Elliot now lives there with the creator of the Slurpee Machine.

Tokennojokin
Username: Tokennojokin

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's the real story

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was the base commander's house for TACOM.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Karl's place.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPlanner, you got me for about 10 seconds with that one. that was pretty damn funny.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

token, you got a picture?

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the house was built for a doctor in the 1930's. I believe it is built in the English Tudor style. The owner has tried to sell it on and off for the past few years with no success.

Ookpik

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

always wonder about that one myself

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the City of Warren's Property/Assessing Info. web site, the address and current owner is:

ELNICK, JOSEPH
28600 MOUND RD
WARREN, MI 48092-5507

The house sits on a 16.26 acre parcel and the SEV is $704,810.

(Message edited by Mikeg on August 24, 2007)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prior to the 50s that was all farm land. There was that little city center up there at chicago and mound. Probably a wealthy gentleman farmer had that built.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the Osowski Mansion. Built in the 1930s. I believe Osowski was a doctor. The Elnick family has had the house since the '60s.

It would be nice if the house could be preserved, but it sits on valuable commercial/industrial property, and it needs quite a bit of work.

I have heard that it's very quaint and unique inside.

The very-polluted Bear Creek runs through the property.

It can be yours for $3.5 million:
http://www.mirealsource.com/cg i-bin/google-MJ03?LM_MST_mls_n oYYNT=30461740&LM_MST_prop_fmt NNNL=2

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

could be a date with a bulldozer in it's future

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5174
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a couple of quirky yet stately homes that were built on the east side, that are sadly now gone.

One was a large red brick house on Mack Ave. near the Grosse Pointe Woods/SCS border. The house was set back from the street surrounded by at least an acre of large trees. Well last I saw, the house was torn down, but the land and trees are all still there.

A 2nd large home was a lakefront home in Harrison Twp. If you take Jefferson to where it takes a bend (away from the water) at Shook Rd., and follow the little street that still goes along the waterfront, there used to be a large red brick house with a huge brick gateway with wrought iron fence with tall brick fence posts along the front, and the property had a lot of tall trees on it. Last I checked, the house there was torn down as well (recently), but the fancy gateway and fence survive.

2 interesting eastside stately residential properties that I know nothing about.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There was that little city center up there at chicago and mound. Probably a wealthy gentleman farmer had that built."

Actually, that collection of old buildings and houses at Chicago and Mound WAS the original Village of Warren, most of which date to the 19th century. The current City of Warren sprawled around it, starting in the 1950's. There are a number of interesting old houses there, and a nice New England-style church from the 1840s or 50s. If you drive in that area you will even see the old village hall.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"could be a date with a bulldozer in it's future"

Sad, but the bulldozer trumps history around here, even in a crappy real estate market. Rather then tear dows some stodgy two story 1970s office building, the old mansions are preferred for pulverizing.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok-I know the second place in Harrison Twp your talking about. The fancy fence is still there with a name above the entrance. I was gonna ask about it on here but trying to describe the location was gonna be confusing. That would be a nice lot to build on and restore the gateway.
I also know about the house on Mound. Seems like a cool place that is slipping through the cracks. With its location I'm sure it has an interesting past. I remember someone posting about it a while back along with some pics. The doctor story rings a bell.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting website of the Warren Historical Society listing info on the old buildings in Warren.

http://members.glis.net/whgs/m arkers.htm

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok-I grew up across from st. Joan of arc, not far from that house. I wondered about that house for years, never saw a soul around it. I also noticed it was torn down last time I was around there...it would be interesting to find any history on it....

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure the name on the archer is El Paul. My father told me to buy the place when it went on the market a couple of years ago. Like I could afford it! It's sad that they tore it down!

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to a former member of St Joan of Arc, the house was willed to the church. They eventually saw it as more of a liability, apparently because of the condition and cost it would take to make it into anything they could use, and tore it down.

Not sure how close this is to the truth, but it's something I could see happening.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5182
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ironic that the "EL PAUL" estate in Harrison Township had the house torn down, and yet the gateway and fancy fence survive.

This seems to be very common in Grosse Pointe Farms, City and Park, where the lakeside mansions (such as Rose Terrace) have been torn down to make subdivisions, and yet the fancy fences survive.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.