Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bridge Plan Spits Communities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4006
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=20077082203 98

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone notice the two proposed "paths" for the bridge? They both border historic Fort Wayne, on the east and west sides. Any work done to sink footings in these areas will almost certainly destroy the Fort. Additional truck traffic will "pound" the place into submission!

So much for preserving our history!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Additional truck traffic will "pound" the place into submission!"

Perhaps, but not necessarily. There have been high rises built over historic churches and foundations for structures built on the lot lines of historic buildings. I think that they could do it without damage to the fort, but the real issue might be, would they spend the $$$?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would think Detroit would be past destroying neighborhoods in the name of vehicular traffic, considering what has happened over the past 50 years...

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want no bridge plan spitting on my community! :-)

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plymouthres- it's not like Fort Wayne is well preserved, the place is falling apart.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter-

That type of comment is usually made by someone who hasn't been there in a while. The people that we've had there recently know differently. Apparently you missed the fact that the Fort Wayne Coalition has volunteered over 2000 hours there to date this yer, and significant changes HAVE occurred. Also, the reason that it is such dis-repair is that people with the same opinion as yourself have been allowed to manage the place. That is changing slowly, but 20 years of neglect have allowed the place to deteriorate.

By the way, if you want to help preserve the place, why don't you show up and volunteer for a work day to help restore it? Sort of put your "money" where your mouth is?

Charlotte-

This type of bridge will require drilling/setting of cassions to pour the foundations underpinnings. I have studied the proposal, and it will certainly require pounding the casings in.

Also the "pounding" I was referring to would be residual from the weighted traffic, not just the foundation.

I don't have the answers or a viable solution, but I do not think that allowing our history to continually flush down the toilet is the correct response either.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 441
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if no one supports building new bridges what is your solution to the massive traffic issues that trouble the Detroit-Windsor area. Back ups will only get worse until we get new bridges built. And there really aren't any better areas to build new crossings.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois-

I said in my post that I don't have all the answers, but wiping out an entire area and it's historic background seems to be a bit much, don't you think? This entire thing smacks of the wipeout of Paradise Valley and Black Bottom, with a new twist.

I also did not say that I was standing in the way of progress. I am merely pointing out the potential of destroying more of our history.

I dis-agree that there are no better places to build the bridge, either. Although longer across the river, moving it to the old Great Lakes or McClouth Steel sites downriver would be much better, as I-75/I-94 and other main arteries are much more accessable and it would have much less impact on current neighborhoods.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand the emphasis on truck transport. The rail tunnel can't accommodate the higher car-truck trains, and only has ONE portal open, and yet CN still runs about three-dozen trains a day through there, each of them carrying what 100 trucks could. Is just-in-time shipping and truck transport SO IMPORTANT that we couldn't just set up some intermodal facilities in Carleton and Essex County and just do it that way?

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About other crossings suggested above. The McLouth site has the problem of being about 2 miles off 75 and having a little obstacle called Grosse Ile in the way. Not to mention it's way off from the 401.

Great Lakes has the problem of having to tear through another dense neighborhood. It's about 20 blocks to the river from 75 in that area. Although on the Canadian side you could possibly link up to Ojibway Parkway on up to the E.C. Row?

However, I don't think it would be in that much danger. The worst would be pounding the piles down. But that's done in other dense settings without much trouble to neighbouring buildings.

As for traffic vibrations? I think traffic would be slow enough that vibrations wouldn't be much of an issue. Even so I think the fort could stand it just fine. If the Colosseum can stand at the center of Rome's circulation and not fall apart then Ft. Wayne can as well.

I say that because even though there isn't the heavy truck traffic there is heavy high speed car traffic. And unlike Ft. Wayne nothing is holding the Colosseum together except gravity. There's no mortar and all the iron rods that were holding the blocks have been looted.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 682
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Zug Island site would connect to Hwy 20 in Ontario. One of the ideas is to provide a freeway-to-freeway connection; in parts of Windsor trucks line up on side streets to get to the existing bridge.

If you want to see what a twinning would look like, check out the Blue Water Bridges in Port Huron.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.